2021 MLB Season

5fouls

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, Reds fans.  What do you think about them optioning Senzel to Louisville instead of activating from the IL.   Kept 14 pitchers on the roster.  Do they really need all of them?

Having 9 relievers is stupid and waste of roster spots.  Also I assume Senzel will be up soon because Winker probably will have to go to the DL.  There have been a couple of times lately they haven't been able to pinch hit or do a double switch because their roster management.

I remember the days of a 10 man pitching staff with 5 starters and 5 relievers.  If you allowed starters to go more than 5 innings there wouldn't be a need for 9 relievers.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Having 9 relievers is stupid and waste of roster spots.  Also I assume Senzel will be up soon because Winker probably will have to go to the DL.  There have been a couple of times lately they haven't been able to pinch hit or do a double switch because their roster management.

I remember the days of a 10 man pitching staff with 5 starters and 5 relievers.  If you allowed starters to go more than 5 innings there wouldn't be a need for 9 relievers.

That's the thing.  Reds starters are beginning to go longer into games than they were earlier in the year. 

It's not only starters, but relivers are babied too much nowadays as well.  Mike Marshall pitched 104 games out of the pen in 1974.  Rollie Fingers and Goose Gossage would pitch 3 innings to get a save.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

That's the thing.  Reds starters are beginning to go longer into games than they were earlier in the year. 

It's not only starters, but relivers are babied too much nowadays as well.  Mike Marshall pitched 104 games out of the pen in 1974.  Rollie Fingers and Goose Gossage would pitch 3 innings to get a save.  

All the babying had led to more injuries.  The Reds starters rarely go past 6 innings so to me that is not going deep into games

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Amen.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember Jose Rio going 8.2 innings in the deciding game 5 of the World Series.  I am still upset that they took him out of that game.

Well you better look at their team pitching stats.  They feasted that year in the starters going 5-6 innings and relievers taking over.  

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

To rub a little salt in the Cubbies wounds, this year the Cubs have endured 2 11 game losing streaks. Never in the 148 years of existence have they had more than one losing streak that long. Hopefully the Reds extend it another 3 games

I think the Cubs are trying to "catch" the Pirates.

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

To rub a little salt in the Cubbies wounds, this year the Cubs have endured 2 11 game losing streaks. Never in the 148 years of existence have they had more than one losing streak that long. Hopefully the Reds extend it another 3 games

They had a 108 year losing streak...so I take that salt off my wound and rub it on the rim of a margarita glass! 

😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They had a 108 year losing streak...so I take that salt off my wound and rub it on the rim of a margarita glass! 

😉

Part of my point. You being a Cubs fan are you buying the crap they are selling you?  This lineup is an embarrassment and I am not surprised how many long time Cubs fans are royally ticked at the ownership. 3rd largest market should never be the worst team in baseball

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Part of my point. You being a Cubs fan are you buying the crap they are selling you?  This lineup is an embarrassment and I am not surprised how many long time Cubs fans are royally ticked at the ownership. 3rd largest market should never be the worst team in baseball

Oh, I've expressed my frustration towards the McRicketts numerous times in this thread alone...they constantly cry "poor" over the building up of Wrigleyville...and you're right, complete teardowns like they just did should never occur...

• Like 3

Just now, IUFLA said:

Oh, I've expressed my frustration towards the McRicketts numerous times in this thread alone...they constantly cry "poor" over the building up of Wrigleyville...and you're right, complete teardowns like they just did should never occur...

A buddy of mine got free tickets offered to him from several of his clients. Oh what a difference 2 months make

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

All owners care about making money.  Very few care about winning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just wait til next year. Grew up hearing that line forever

Well, at least "next year" did come in 2016, but even then, after Rajai Davis hit the HR in the 8th of game 7, I was screaming to myself, "See? SEE? They did it to you again!"

I think the Cubs subsequently pulling it out was God's way of saying, "Lighten up Francis." 

• Like 1