2021 MLB Season

5fouls

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's weird for me. As much as I know I don't like them I find myself cheering for them. Kind of like I was the guy cheering for Vader. 

There are a handful of teams that I would root for the Yankees over...

That said, there's some things I've always admired about them. The classic uniforms, the monuments in center field, Yankee stadium (both of them) in general, the history, with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris, Jackson, Jeter...hell, I even think George Steinbrenner was a good owner (the Billy Martin crap not withstanding)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Nick Senzel has been placed on the 60 day IL with fluid buildup on his knee.  He had arthroscopic surgery on it in May.  No timetable for his return as he'll be rehabbing in Arizona.  He's damaged goods, that's for sure.  JMHO, but Reds should package him someway, maybe with Suarez, for a trade.  Send them to American League...

You’d get a bucket of baseballs. Senzel’s biggest problem has been mismanagement by the organization 

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

You’d get a bucket of baseballs. Senzel’s biggest problem has been mismanagement by the organization 

Not being argumentative.  What did they do in mismanagement?  I truly am interested in your opinion/insight.  I'm an old guy who knows zippo, okay?  I do know/agree that the Reds organization is questionable.   😊

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

There are a handful of teams that I would root for the Yankees over...

That said, there's some things I've always admired about them. The classic uniforms, the monuments in center field, Yankee stadium (both of them) in general, the history, with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris, Jackson, Jeter...hell, I even think George Steinbrenner was a good owner (the Billy Martin crap not withstanding)...

That's the stuff I can't get away from. Love the tradition, uniforms, demands from their fans....plus Mattingly being a Hoosier when I was growing up I emulated his swing many of times trying to be like him. Jeter is just one of the greatest. 

I've never minded their dominance...of course it's been a decade plus but I never mind them being in the picture.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the stuff I can't get away from. Love the tradition, uniforms, demands from their fans....plus Mattingly being a Hoosier when I was growing up I emulated his swing many of times trying to be like him. Jeter is just one of the greatest. 

I've never minded their dominance...of course it's been a decade plus but I never mind them being in the picture.

Jeter is a DUDE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Not being argumentative.  What did they do in mismanagement?  I truly am interested in your opinion/insight.  I'm an old guy who knows zippo, okay?  I do know/agree that the Reds organization is questionable.   😊

So the Reds drafted him as a 3B then moved him to 2B. Then they wanted to test him at SS but didn’t think he was good enough. Then 2 years ago when they decided to move him to CF in spring training. A position he’d never played and he learned it in a month. Then they kept him in the minors for an extra month before calling him up because of service time manipulation. Then several of his injuries have come from diving for balls in centerfield or running into the fence. Now we get to this past week and it sounds like he was rushing to get back and the Reds decided to keep him in triple A because they felt their were guys on the roster better than him. Then it came out that his injury hadn’t fully healed yet. All the while Krall made several comments to the media making basically bashing Senzel. That’s the short version of most of it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Their real dominance was the years between 1923 (when they won their first WS championship) and 1964...in that 41 year period, they were in the World Series 26 times, and won 20 0f them, including a 17 year stretch between 1936 and 1953 in which they won 12...

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Their real dominance was the years between 1923 (when they won their first WS championship) and 1964...in that 41 year period, they were in the World Series 26 times, and won 20 0f them, including a 17 year stretch between 1936 and 1953 in which they won 12...

Understand. I think most fans today still get mad at their 4 titles in 5 years or so in 96 on. I've never had a problem with teams/organizations commitment to winning. They did what they could to win. No problem with that!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. I think most fans today still get mad at their 4 titles in 5 years or so in 96 on. I've never had a problem with teams/organizations commitment to winning. They did what they could to win. No problem with that!

Me either...wish we'd get ownership like that...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember the late 70's and early 80's when it seemed like it was always the Dodgers playing the Y lees in the series

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Since August 1st. Mets are 5-15 and their owner  comes out on twitter and asks why a group of players can hit this poorly for so long. Trust me I can relate Mr. Cohen....you just so happened to trade for one of the players that has caused us similar pain for 2-3 seasons.

That’s what happens when you trade for an overrated player who’s more flash than substance. 

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

As someone who used to love buying a pack of baseball cards or two whenever we went to the store back in the 70's, this news is truly sad.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/20/1029575736/mlb-is-ending-70-year-partnership-with-baseball-card-manufacturer-topps

I missed this...thanks for posting. It is really sad. I bought countless packs of cards when I was a kid in the 80s. Topps and baseball cards go hand in hand.

• Like 1