2021 MLB Season

5fouls

6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yankees have now won 10 straight games, but.....

"Homerun" Heaney is on the mound for the guys in pinstripes tonight. Heaney had a good game last time out, but can he keep it going??

Stay Tuned.....

BTW, bit of Yankee trivia, they have not won 11 straight games since 1985!!!

How did 1985 work out for the Yanks?  Not so good.  Helluva team...as now, that division that year was something else.

Well the bullpen for the Reds has collapsed once again. Was up 4-1 going to the 7th but Lorenzen had given up 4 runs and now trails 5-4.

Mahle seemed to pitch well but he was taken out after 5.2 because his pitch count was already be at 105.  Until he learns to be more pitch efficient he will never be a great starting pitcher

Edited by IU Scott

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well the bullpen for the Reds has collapsed once again. Was up 4-1 going to the 7th but Lorenzen had given up 4 runs and now trails 5-4.

Mahle seemed to pitch well but he was taken out after 5.2 because his pitch count was already be at 105.  Until he learns to be more pitch efficient he will never be a great starting pitcher

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I would say Mahle would be the Cy Young winner if not for all the blown saves.

Also with Antone feeling something in his elbow last night it's likely he's done for the season. It will be interesting to see what the Reds do now. The names I'd look at are Greene, Lodolo, or Moreta from AAA if the Reds are serious about trying to at least squeak in as a wild card team. 

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

5.2 w/1ER is going to win you a lot of ball games.  

Brewers are just really good.  Loss didn't hurt the Reds though.. they just can't get swept. 

It is the 5.2 innings from a starter that is the problem.  If he goes further in games then wouldn't have to worry about ad many blown games.

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Also with Antone feeling something in his elbow last night it's likely he's done for the season. It will be interesting to see what the Reds do now. The names I'd look at are Greene, Lodolo, or Moreta from AAA if the Reds are serious about trying to at least squeak in as a wild card team. 

"squeak in?"

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021-playoff-odds.shtml

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

5.2 w/1ER is going to win you a lot of ball games.  

Brewers are just really good.  Loss didn't hurt the Reds though.. they just can't get swept. 

I actually think the Padres are done.  Their schedule finishing out the season is really difficult.  And their starting pitching is in bad shape.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I actually think the Padres are done.  Their schedule finishing out the season is really difficult.  And their starting pitching is in bad shape.

Yeah, just brutal coming down stretch.  Projections are not being kind to the Friars.  

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What did he do wrong? Saying he should have pulled Lorenzen earlier? Or? 

Lorenzen went to the mound in the 6th with his adrenaline pumping and got out of a tough spot. Then Lorenzen went to the dugout and cooled off. He shouldn't have started the inning. Then he started the 7th and wasn't locating as well and the Brewers took advantage. Then Givens came in and the Brewers had to momentum. It's a great theory to have guys end an inning and start another but typically the relievers stuff isn't as good after sitting in the bullpen. 

• Like 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

Lorenzen went to the mound in the 6th with his adrenaline pumping and got out of a tough spot. Then Lorenzen went to the dugout and cooled off. He shouldn't have started the inning. Then he started the 7th and wasn't locating as well and the Brewers took advantage. Then Givens came in and the Brewers had to momentum. It's a great theory to have guys end an inning and start another but typically the relievers stuff isn't as good after sitting in the bullpen. 

I think.... Lorenzen didn't execute. I don't see anything wrong with the decision. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think.... Lorenzen didn't execute. I don't see anything wrong with the decision. 

I called it before the inning started. I could see it coming because I've seen it way to many times especially with guys who typically throw the 8th or 9th inning and they are brought in earlier. The adrenaline crash is real and happens more times than not especially during the regular season. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

I called it before the inning started. I could see it coming because I've seen it way to many times especially with guys who typically throw the 8th or 9th inning and they are brought in earlier. The adrenaline crash is real and happens more times than not especially during the regular season. 

Gotta show some stats then. If the stats back that up, I'm with you. Idc either way.. I play the numbers. 

In general, in game coaching in sports is overrated. It was overrated with Crean and Archie, as well. Bell made a decision... Lorenzen botched it, bad. The bullpen has been bad/beat up all year... Lorenzen had just thrown less than 10p and the Reds needed another inning out of him. 

It's evident you know more about baseball than me. But... I don't see that last night was a mistake in the decision. The result didn't work out. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Gotta show some stats then. If the stats back that up, I'm with you. Idc either way.. I play the numbers. 

In general, in game coaching in sports is overrated. It was overrated with Crean and Archie, as well. Bell made a decision... Lorenzen botched it, bad. The bullpen has been bad/beat up all year... Lorenzen had just thrown less than 10p and the Reds needed another inning out of him. 

It's evident you know more about baseball than me. But... I don't see that last night was a mistake in the decision. The result didn't work out. 

Just like Scott and some others here I find myself questioning Bell's decisions all the time when my team loses.  Right or wrong, that is the way a rabid fan sees it.  Personally, I would not have trotted Lorenzen out there to start the 7th.  They didn't need another inning out of him imo.  But I will admit the view in the rearview year is always clear.  That was a killer loss for a division title.  But hey, this is 2021 and we have wild cards in MLB now.  The Reds will be fine(I hope).