2021 MLB Season

5fouls

One of the trivia questions on the Reds broadcast last night was what was the longest game the Reds played.  It was 21 inning game and they lost 1-0.  SF pit her Gaylord Perry pitched 16 innings of shut out ball. The Cowboy mentioned how today the managers would be crucified allowing a pitcher to go that long.  It is funny Perry pitched 20+ seasons in the majors despite pit hing that many innings

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One of the trivia questions on the Reds broadcast last night was what was the longest game the Reds played.  It was 21 inning game and they lost 1-0.  SF pit her Gaylord Perry pitched 16 innings of shut out ball. The Cowboy mentioned how today the managers would be crucified allowing a pitcher to go that long.  It is funny Perry pitched 20+ seasons in the majors despite pit hing that many innings

I'm surprised he could muster that much spit!

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is also "funny" how many guys blew their arms out.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

It is also "funny" how many guys blew their arms out.  

Also had plenty of guys back in the day pitched a lot of years without being babied.  Seaver, Carlton, Ryan just to be a few.  

Also the Cowboy was talking about how babying pit hers today is not helping those pit hers at all.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Also had plenty of guys back in the day pitched a lot of years without being babied.  Seaver, Carlton, Ryan just to be a few.  

Also the Cowboy was talking about how babying pit hers today is not helping those pit hers at all.

Tell guys like Steve Busby that...

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Tell guys like Steve Busby that...

Or tell that to the hundreds of guys getting Tommy John every year today.  It is just not babying them that is the cause but it has prevented injuries ad well.  Pitchers today just tried to throw as hard as they can for ad long as they can.  If they were still taught how to pitch and get batters out without having to strike them out I think you would see less injuries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I gotta side with @IU Scott on this argument.  Just as many guys blow their arms out now.  they just have better procedures to fix them.  But, guys that PITCHED back then instead of just THROW could log a lot more innings with little or no risk to their arm.   

To play devil's advocate coming up these guys pitch year around. Many of the guys we watched we too busy playing basketball and football to throw year round.  Guys now throw more coming up. At the end of the day they are just.more valuable in terms of contracts, that why I leave my Lamborghini in the garage and only drive it in perfect weather. I would love to drive it every where as fast as possible to show it off. 

I was a teacher for 20 years In reality I could not afford 4 tires on a Lamborghini 

• Like 1

Reds lose to the Tigers at home 15-5.  The Reds bullpen we grew to love came back tonight by giving up 11 runs in 5.2 innings.

In the 5th the Reds were down 4-1 but India hit a two run homer to cut the leaf to one.  The next two got on and we had 2nd and 3rd and one out but could not score with Bottom and Suarez striking out.  The Reds have to be one of the worst teams getting runners in from 3rd with less than two outs.  The next three innings the Tigers scores 11 runs.  The best pitcher to ight was Max Schtick but the bad part is he is a position player.

I just don't understand how these players are still on the roster, Aquino, Shogo, Hoffman, Garrett.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose to the Tigers at home 15-5.  The Reds bullpen we grew to love came back tonight by giving up 11 runs in 5.2 innings.

In the 5th the Reds were down 4-1 but India hit a two run homer to cut the leaf to one.  The next two got on and we had 2nd and 3rd and one out but could not score with Bottom and Suarez striking out.  The Reds have to be one of the worst teams getting runners in from 3rd with less than two outs.  The next three innings the Tigers scores 11 runs.  The best pitcher to ight was Max Schtick but the bad part is he is a position player.

I just don't understand how these players are still on the roster, Aquino, Shogo, Hoffman, Garrett.

The Tigers were on fire tonight. That just happens sometimes. Hoffman has been pretty good overall if you look at his numbers since he moved to the pen. Shogo is still on the team because of his contract. The other two are just wasting roster space.