2021 MLB Season

5fouls

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@btownqb is lobbying for Schwarber to lead off, and he's definitely a power/RBI guy... So it would seem in today's game and with that way of thinking it would be the ultimate for a power hitter with speed to be at the top of a lineup... 

Depends on the player and each rosters construction. The Angels wouldn't bat Ohtani lead and he has the 4th fastest home to 1st in baseball. With the Reds for example if they signed him this offseason he would never bat lead off because of India. With a team that doesn't have a traditional lead off option then I could see them putting him there since he seems to have a knack for producing better in that spot. 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@btownqb is lobbying for Schwarber to lead off, and he's definitely a power/RBI guy... So it would seem in today's game and with that way of thinking it would be the ultimate for a power hitter with speed to be at the top of a lineup... 

Ok but once the lineup flips... there is no "lead off"... there are two true lead offs hits per game. Top and bottom of the first. 

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I know...

But I've always thought speed on the bases put more pressure on the defense...

And I'm wondering if today's emphasis on power hasn't gotten some of the speed guys with modest power mired in the minor leagues no matter what their OBP is...

I agree but it is just not stealing bases but being able to go first to third on a single or scoring from first on a double.

• Like 1

Today is the 1st day this season that I did not check scores the very first thing I did when I woke up. I want to thank the Reds for extending the season a couple more months than usual. I usually stop around the All Star break. I still cannot believe that they blew this and that the Cards caught absolute fire but it has been fun to have a rooting interest late in Sept. On sept 10th the Reds had a 65%chance to make playoffs and the Cards 2% wow what a difference 2 weeks make. In true CUBBIE fan fashion, "wait til next year"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Today is the 1st day this season that I did not check scores the very first thing I did when I woke up. I want to thank the Reds for extending the season a couple more months than usual. I usually stop around the All Star break. I still cannot believe that they blew this and that the Cards caught absolute fire but it has been fun to have a rooting interest late in Sept. On sept 10th the Reds had a 65%chance to make playoffs and the Cards 2% wow what a difference 2 weeks make. In true CUBBIE fan fashion, "wait til next year"

My team (Tigers) hasn't played a meaningful game in years, and I miss the days of September scoreboard watching so bad it hurts. The only thing I have to look forward to right now is offloading Miguel Cabrera's contract whenever he finally retires. 

I'm not surprised the Cardinals got hot, because they always seem to in September, but this is a little crazy, even for them. They remind me of the Minnesota Twins teams of the 2000's. You just couldn't ever turn your back on them, and they were always in the mix in the season's final weeks. I watched the Tigers blow division titles to them in 06 and 09, and 09 was absolutely insane. The Twins were 70-72 with 20 games left, and I had finally allowed myself to believe 06 wasn't going to happen again, that this year was different. And then, those MF'ers went 16-4 down the stretch, won a tiebreaker game and stole the division. The Tigers finally got the division a couple years later, but Twinophobia was in full effect among the Tigers fanbase by then. People would start freaking out any time they swept a series, convinced another monster run was coming. 

It sucks to watch your team for 150 games, and then all of a sudden, they're just out of it. I know the feeling, and right now, I'd like to experience it. 

• Like 1

Once again the Reds are making a terrible LH starter look good.  Corbin of the Nationals came in with the worst ERs 6.18, the most home runs 37 and the most walks in baseball.  Through 5 the Reds are down 1-0 and has 1 hit.  Corbin had walked 5 and there was an error.  The Reds left the bases loaded with 1 out and has left 7 runners on

I started looking at the Reds contract situation this morning since the Reds are not making the postseason. I kind of understand why they didn´t make a ton of moves this year because their contract situation is a mess overpaying certain players. Fans love praising Dick Williams but man he handed out some bad contracts granted at least he was trying to win and players just haven´t performed. Hopefully they can move one or 2 of those this off season and use that money someplace else. 

Edited by DC2345

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I started looking at the Reds contract situation this morning since the Reds are not making the postseason. I kind of understand why they didn´t make a ton of moves this year because their contract situation is a mess overpaying certain players. Fans love praising Dick Williams but man he handed out some bad contracts granted at least he was trying to win and players just haven´t performed. Hopefully they can move one or 2 of those this off season and use that money someplace else. 

Take Cast out of the equation and I am interested as how the FO deals with Suarez, Moose, Shogo, and Senzel.  

47 minutes ago, rico said:

Take Cast out of the equation and I am interested as how the FO deals with Suarez, Moose, Shogo, and Senzel.  

The first 3 will be interesting. Senzel I think could be used as a trade piece but I also wouldn´t give him away as he could still be a flexible utility player the poor guy just can´t stay healthy. 

Reds found another way to blow a lead. Up 7-4 with no one on and two outs in the 9th the Nationals have now tied the game.  They still have two runners on and Bell finally decided it time to take out the pitcher.  Also the game should be over because if the Reds weren't in the shift the two run single would have been a routine grounder to SS

Edited by IU Scott

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds found another way to blow a lead. Up 7-4 with no one on and two outs in the 9th the Nationals have now tied the game.  They still have two runners on and Bell finally decided it time to take out the pitcher.  Also the game should be over because if the Reds weren't in the shift the two run single would have been a routine grounder to SS

No use raggin' on the Reds any longer.  Stick a fork in 'em.