2021 MLB Season

5fouls

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

So, should that call be made from the replay/review folks because of the situation (that it's the final out)? 

My stance is that the ump wasn't 100% positive either way.  So, he guessed.  If you're going to guess, always side on letting the players decide the game.  Chances are Scherzer was going to get him out anyway.  But, with this result, Giants fans will forever be left to wonder 'what if'.  The ump made himself the story instead of letting the two players settle it among themselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

My stance is that the ump wasn't 100% positive either way.  So, he guessed.  If you're going to guess, always side on letting the players decide the game.  Chances are Scherzer was going to get him out anyway.  But, with this result, Giants fans will forever be left to wonder 'what if'.  The ump made himself the story instead of letting the two players settle it among themselves.

But no ump thinks like that though. Betcha he'd admit he missed it.. he should also lose zero sleep over it. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

He didn't go....and the called 3rd strike on out #2 was iffy at best. 107 wins and gone. Reseeding please.

34 minutes ago, rico said:

I am torn on that due to an unbalanced schedule.

That was my point a couple of pages back when @Stlboiler23was beeotching about the Cardinals having to play the 106 win Dodgers in the wildcard, vs the 88 win Braves...

Get rid of the the divisions, even out the league schedule, and that's the way to make it equitable for all...

Top 4 in each league make the playoffs...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That was my point a couple of pages back when @Stlboiler23was beeotching about the Cardinals having to play the 106 win Dodgers in the wildcard, vs the 88 win Braves...

Get rid of the the divisions, even out the league schedule, and that's the way to make it equitable for all...

That would work better for me if they added 1 team to each league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But no ump thinks like that though. Betcha he'd admit he missed it.. he should also lose zero sleep over it. 

There is no way he clearly saw the play and called it like he did.  He obviously did not get a good view, and hence he 'guessed'.  If I was in his position where I had to guess, my mindset would have been to call it no swing, and if that was wrong, hope Scherzer got the guy out anyway. 

You simply cannot end a team's season on that play.  If it happened in the third inning of the game, it's not a story.  If it happened in a 6-0 game, it's not a story.  But, the umpire has to realize time and context. The tying run was on base in the bottom of the 9th in a winner take all contest.    

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Getting rid of the divisions would be a very bad idea.  Fan bases need some reason to root for their team during August.  And, it's much easier to continue to root for a team that is in 3rd place in their division versus one in 9th place in a 15 team league.  

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Getting rid of the divisions would be a very bad idea.  Fan bases need some reason to root for their team during August.  And, it's much easier to continue to root for a team that is in 3rd place in their division versus one in 9th place in a 15 team league.  

Baseball survived before divisions...they can survive without them again.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Huge difference with 8 team leagues and 15 team leagues.

Do you recommend the NFL go without divisions?  Don't the Bills have an unfair advantage this year by getting to play 6 games versus the Dolphins, Patriots, and Jets?

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you recommend the NFL go without divisions?  Don't the Bills have an unfair advantage this year by getting to play 6 games versus the Dolphins, Patriots, and Jets?

The NFL has true divisional play minus 2 games?  And the NFL plays a 17 game schedule.  

14 minutes ago, rico said:

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But that's the point...you can't make it equitable with division play...If you want the 4 best teams from each league, you have to play an even amount of games against each team...

I can live with either way, but you have to chose equitability or divisions...

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But that's the point...you can't make it equitable with division play...If you want the 4 best teams from each league, you have to play an even amount of games against each team...

I can live with either way, but you have to chose equitability or divisions...

In the AL, the playoff lineup did have the two appropriate teams in the Wild Card round based on record, and that winner still beat the #1 seed.  There will always be twists and turns in every playoff season, regardless of sport.  That's one of the things that makes the playoffs special.

One thing MLB should do is get rid of inter-league play.  It no longer serves the purpose it was intended.  Expand to add two teams, get 16 teams in each league, and then split into two divisions of eight teams each in each league.

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the AL, the playoff lineup did have the two appropriate teams in the Wild Card round based on record, and that winner still beat the #1 seed.  There will always be twists and turns in every playoff season, regardless of sport.  That's one of the things that makes the playoffs special.

One thing MLB should do is get rid of inter-league play.  It no longer serves the purpose it was intended.  Expand to add two teams, get 16 teams in each league, and then split into two divisions of eight teams each in each league.

Yeah.  it seems like no matter what year or what sport interesting conversations break out concerning the play offs platforms.

• Like 2