2021 MLB Season

5fouls

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was never a fan...To me, there's a mystique on seeing 2 teams that have never played each other...

I liked it at 1st, but soured on it when my Reds were playing the Tribe 6x while the Cards were playing the Royals 6x.  But I must admit that there are a few that I take interest in...Cubs/White Sox, etc.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There is no way he clearly saw the play and called it like he did.  He obviously did not get a good view, and hence he 'guessed'.  If I was in his position where I had to guess, my mindset would have been to call it no swing, and if that was wrong, hope Scherzer got the guy out anyway. 

You simply cannot end a team's season on that play.  If it happened in the third inning of the game, it's not a story.  If it happened in a 6-0 game, it's not a story.  But, the umpire has to realize time and context. The tying run was on base in the bottom of the 9th in a winner take all contest.    

But a mistake. True and simple mistake. It's not an "about him moment"... it's a mistake. 🤷‍♂️

Just how I see it. 

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well, looks like we Yankee fans are stuck with Boone for another 3 years as his contract was renewed.....  🙄

I don't follow them enough to know if he is good or bad as a manager but in a 1 game playoff you need to have you ACE pitch like one.  Gotta get more than 2 innings out of him. Won that 1 and who knows.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Watching some of the replays from last night Sox/Astros game. Laz Diaz (who is known as one of the worst umpires behind the plate) is the poster child for removing umps. I don't blame him. He just stinks. I blame MLB for running him out there in the playoffs.

If they start using robots as umps I will probably stop watching.

• Like 1

One of the biggest issues with baseball is the lack of quality outings for starting pitchers. In 26 playoff games that means 52 starting pitchers and only 1 time has a starter faced 27 batters. Not 27 outs 27 batters. The Houston Astros in 4 games the starters have combined for 6 2/3 innings. Baseball is broken and losing fans daily they better figure it out or it is going to be gone. 

I loved staying up late  as a kid to see playoff baseball but 5 hour long games no kids are up watching even if they want to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If they start using robots as umps I will probably stop watching.

Why? It's really the one facet of the game that I would like to see automated. I know a human eye judging a ball flying at 100MPH is prone to get it wrong a certain amount of the time anyway...we have the technology to be able to call the balls and strikes with 100% accuracy, so I don't see the down side...you still have an ump back there to make other calls...But just have a little light go on inside his mask that indicates balls or strikes...

Some of the misses last night were so egregious, it totally convinced me automation is the way to go...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

One of the biggest issues with baseball is the lack of quality outings for starting pitchers. In 26 playoff games that means 52 starting pitchers and only 1 time has a starter faced 27 batters. Not 27 outs 27 batters. The Houston Astros in 4 games the starters have combined for 6 2/3 innings. Baseball is broken and losing fans daily they better figure it out or it is going to be gone. 

I loved staying up late  as a kid to see playoff baseball but 5 hour long games no kids are up watching even if they want to

Totally agree with you.  I hate the use of the opener because you know you will see a parade of pitchers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why? It's really the one facet of the game that I would like to see automated. I know a human eye judging a ball flying at 100MPH is prone to get it wrong a certain amount of the time anyway...we have the technology to be able to call the balls and strikes with 100% accuracy, so I don't see the down side...you still have an ump back there to make other calls...But just have a little light go on inside his mask that indicates balls or strikes...

Some of the misses last night were so egregious, it totally convinced me automation is the way to go...

Until the players start being perfect I would rather see humans umping the games. I just get tired of everything having to be perfect and it makes the game very vanilla.  If it were up to me all replays would be banished.

• Confused 1