2021 MLB Season

5fouls

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So.... the Stankees needs a win today. So far they have been no-hit thru 3 innings in a 0-0 game. DJ and Luke Voit are on the IL....

Fun Times

So far thru 8 innings the Stankees have managed 1 paltry hit!!!

Aint gonna win too many ballgames like that!

Tampa may very well be this years WS Champs.....

Well the baseball season is officially over for me this year.  Reds game just ended with a 6-3 win over the Pirates.  Reds tied a team record with 6 guys with 60+ RBI with Castellanos leading with 100.  Reds had 3 guys with 30+ home runs and would have been 4 if Winker had not gotten injury.

For me the key off season news for the Reds will be what will Castellanos will decide to do.  I know it is just talk but he said this has been his most enjoyable season and loves playing with this team.  He also has to decide if it is best to opt out with all the uncertainty surrounding the labor agreement.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well the baseball season is officially over for me this year.  Reds game just ended with a 6-3 win over the Pirates.  Reds tied a team record with 6 guys with 60+ RBI with Castellanos leading with 100.  Reds had 3 guys with 30+ home runs and would have been 4 if Winker had not gotten injury.

For me the key off season news for the Reds will be what will Castellanos will decide to do.  I know it is just talk but he said this has been his most enjoyable season and loves playing with this team.  He also has to decide if it is best to opt out with all the uncertainty surrounding the labor agreement.

I feel much better about Castellanos coming back even if he opts out than I did about Bauer last year which turns out was a blessing they let him walk. I also think this group of players feel like there is unfinished business in 2022 and Joey Votto said so himself that the team needs to focus on winning 90 games in 2022 to make the playoffs. Here's a good article with some comments from Votto on 2021 and heading into 2022. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2021/10/04/what-does-2022-hold-for-joey-votto-cincinnati-reds/5984785001/ 

Reds Off-season Checklist

1. Castellanos is retained

2. Make decisions on Barnhart and Miley

3. Try to resign Givens and Lorenzen

4. Acquire a real closer

5. Decide what position Barerro is going to play and plug him in the lineup

6. If Barrero plays SS then acquire a CF 

7. Acquire a guy that mashes LHP

8. Figure out a way to clear Shogo's salary someplace else 

9. Decide if Moose has a role 

10.  Figure out the rotation and if a shakeup is needed with the prospects about to crack the majors in 2022

A few other minor things could be done as well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

4. Acquire a real closer

10.  Figure out the rotation and if a shakeup is needed with the prospects about to crack the majors in 2022

I would like to know the plans with Ty Steve.  Is he the C of the future?  Or is he Votto's heir apparent?

BTW...nice to do list.

Just now, rico said:

I would like to know the plans with Ty Steve.  Is he the C of the future?  Or is he Votto's heir apparent?

BTW...nice to do list.

I think he'll be the primary catcher going forward. That said I could see him playing first on his catching off days to keep his bat in the lineup. Especially if there is a DH and there's a worse defender who needs to hit. In a few years I could see him switching to first if necessary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

4. Acquire a real closer

I would let both Miley and Barnhart go and use those salaries elsewhere.  I also would not bring back Lorenzen because he is way to inconsistent.  I would see what kind of trade packages we could get for Castillo and Gray.  I think Farmer had a good enough year to keep him in the lineup somewhere.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would let both Miley and Barnhart go and use those salaries elsewhere.  I also would not bring back Lorenzen because he is way to inconsistent.  I would see what kind of trade packages we could get for Castillo and Gray.  I think Farmer had a good enough year to keep him in the lineup somewhere.

Where exactly are you gonna play Farmer?

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Miley is getting paid well below market.

In your scenario, we are losing 3 out of our 5 starting pitchers.  A rotation of Mahle and a bunch of unknowns is not going to make the playoffs. 

And, the playoffs are kind of where I want the Reds to end up next year.  I am getting too old to wait for that 10 year rebuild.  And, so is Joey Votto.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Miley is getting paid well below market.

In your scenario, we are losing 3 out of our 5 starting pitchers.  A rotation of Mahle and a bunch of unknowns is not going to make the playoffs. 

And, the playoffs are kind of where I want the Reds to end up next year.  I am getting too old to wait for that 10 year rebuild.  And, so is Joey Votto.

Didn't say trade them all but just see what people will offer for them.  Miley I really like but it seems like every year he struggles in September.  Miley and Barnhart will make 17 million combined and I just think we could use that money more wisely

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Where will Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez be with next year?

I think Rizzo stays in the AL...He's a free agent and getting near DH age...

I believe Bryant stays in SF if they make him a decent offer...seems to like it there...

And Baez either stays with the Mets, or resigns with the Cubs...he had a decent year...he's still a solid glove in the middle of the infield...I wouldn't mind the Cubs making him an offer...but the McRicketts probably won't...

19 hours ago, rico said:

Where exactly are you gonna play Farmer?

That's a good question. If the organization isn't sold on Barrero at SS then he could go to CF and Farmer at SS. If Barrero is at SS and there is a DH then play Farmer at 3B and Suarez/Moose or whoever be the DH. 

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

SS to start because I didn't see anything from Berreo at the plate to think he is ready to be an every day player

Barrero needs to be in the lineup at the start of the season everyday next year. Either at SS or CF. His inconsistency this year in the big leagues was due to a lack of consistent playing time. 

• Like 1