2021 MLB Season

5fouls

29 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I got my Rangers 20 package to see the new stadium. The team, meh.   Unfortunately, it's year late and my opening day tickets won't be the first MLB game ever since they played playoff games there. So some of that excitement is gone.  I still don't know what is going on though as far as fans and how many will able to go.  Maybe since Texas is going back to normal in a couple of days they will not limit the number of fans at the game.   I got to pick 20 primo games so lets hope they sell well on stub hub.  I really only want to go to about half the 20 games. I'll sell all the Astro, Yankee, and Red Sox games I can unload. 

Looks like a really nice stadium...I always wondered what the hell they were doing when they built The Ballpark in Arlington to replace old Arlington Stadium...didn't they learn anything from old Colt Stadium in Houston?

Way too hot down here during the summer to enjoy outdoor baseball...

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I got my Rangers 20 package to see the new stadium. The team, meh.   Unfortunately, it's year late and my opening day tickets won't be the first MLB game ever since they played playoff games there. So some of that excitement is gone.  I still don't know what is going on though as far as fans and how many will able to go.  Maybe since Texas is going back to normal in a couple of days they will not limit the number of fans at the game.   I got to pick 20 primo games so lets hope they sell well on stub hub.  I really only want to go to about half the 20 games. I'll sell all the Astro, Yankee, and Red Sox games I can unload. 

Are you offering any ticket packages that include airfare and hotel accommodations?

The Reds is full season suck mode already. 2-6 this spring going into today.   In today's game, David Bell could not figure out how to put together a lineup without Kyle Farmer in the cleanup spot.  Lorenzen started and got bombed.  Doolittle pitched an inning and got bombed.  Castellanos does not have a hit yet this spring.   

Yep, it's going to be another great year to be a Reds fan.  Just hope the Brewers and/or Cubs prevent the Cards from winning the division.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds is full season suck mode already. 2-6 this spring going into today.   In today's game, David Bell could not figure out how to put together a lineup without Kyle Farmer in the cleanup spot.  Lorenzen started and got bombed.  Doolittle pitched an inning and got bombed.  Castellanos does not have a hit yet this spring.   

Yep, it's going to be another great year to be a Reds fan.  Just hope the Brewers and/or Cubs prevent the Cards from winning the division.   

And Votto on injured list? Something serious or not? PS...don't count on the Cubs helping out in that department. 

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think that is twice now for Lorenzen getting shelled.  Maybe the Reds should convert him into a shortstop?

I see Deivy Grullon is having a good spring thus far.  Whoever he is.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Interesting statistical oddity from last season.

• San Diego had a better E.R.A. from their starters than Cincinnati
  • San Diego had a better bullpen E.R.A. than Cincinnati
  • Cincinnati had a better team E.R.A.

Think about that one for a minute.

May I ask where you dug that one up?

23 minutes ago, rico said:

May I ask where you dug that one up?

I was just reviewing one of the preseason magazines that broke down E.R.A. by starters and relievers.  The Reds were 2nd overall in E.R.A. behind the Dodgers, but I happened to notice they were behind the Padres in both breakdowns.  The Padres were 3rd best overall, but it did not seem right that they could be ahead in both statistical breakdowns but behind overall.   At first I assumed it must be a mistake, but once I started to think about it, I understood what happened.

For both teams, the starters provided the 'good' E.R.A., while the relievers contributed the 'bad' E.R.A.  So, what happened is that the Reds starters pitched more innings than the Padres starters, and the Padres relievers pitcher more innings than the Reds relievers.

You can actually create the condition in a single 9 inning game.  Assume the game goes the full 9 and the Reds win 3-2.  All runs are earned.   The Padres starter goes 5 innings and allows no earned runs.  The Reds starter goes 8 innings and allows 1 earned run.  That means the Padres relievers go 4 innings allowing 3 earned runs, while the Reds bullpen went 1 inning and allowed 1 run.  See the breakdown below for my scenario.

Starter E.R.A.:

Padres - 0.00

Reds - 1,13

Reliever E.R.A.:

Padres - 6.75

Reds - 9.00

Overall E.R.A.

Reds - 2.00

Padres - 3.00

In theory, it would seem to be much more difficult to create such a scenario over the course of a season, even one shortened to 60 games.  But, the Reds and the Padres were close enough statistically in all 3 breakdowns to make it happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was just reviewing one of the preseason magazines that broke down E.R.A. by starters and relievers.  The Reds were 2nd overall in E.R.A. behind the Dodgers, but I happened to notice they were behind the Padres in both breakdowns.  The Padres were 3rd best overall, but it did not seem right that they could be ahead in both statistical breakdowns but behind overall.   At first I assumed it must be a mistake, but once I started to think about it, I understood what happened.

For both teams, the starters provided the 'good' E.R.A., while the relievers contributed the 'bad' E.R.A.  So, what happened is that the Reds starters pitched more innings than the Padres starters, and the Padres relievers pitcher more innings than the Reds relievers.

You can actually create the condition in a single 9 inning game.  Assume the game goes the full 9 and the Reds win 3-2.  All runs are earned.   The Padres starter goes 5 innings and allows no earned runs.  The Reds starter goes 8 innings and allows 1 earned run.  That means the Padres relievers go 4 innings allowing 3 earned runs, while the Reds bullpen went 1 inning and allowed 1 run.  See the breakdown below for my scenario.

Starter E.R.A.:

Padres - 0.00

Reds - 1,13

Reliever E.R.A.:

Padres - 6.75

Reds - 9.00

Overall E.R.A.

Reds - 2.00

Padres - 3.00

In theory, it would seem to be much more difficult to create such a scenario over the course of a season, even one shortened to 60 games.  But, the Reds and the Padres were close enough statistically in all 3 breakdowns to make it happen.

Mind boggling...gotta love the game of baseball.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I think that is twice now for Lorenzen getting shelled.  Maybe the Reds should convert him into a shortstop?

I see Deivy Grullon is having a good spring thus far.  Whoever he is.

Lorenzen will be fine. He is taking a different approach to this spring training than he did last year and it's smart. Last spring training he was trying to throw 100 mph on every pitch and didn't work on control. That's what led to his terrible start to last season and that bothered him. This spring training he is only throwing 91-94 so far but he's working on command and actually pitching. Once he gets through a couple more outings I would expect him to start dialing up the velocity to his usual 95 mph and faster. That's when he will probably get back to getting better results. I still expect him to be starter #5. I have a hunch Miley ends up in the pen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Lorenzen will be fine. He is taking a different approach to this spring training than he did last year and it's smart. Last spring training he was trying to throw 100 mph on every pitch and didn't work on control. That's what led to his terrible start to last season and that bothered him. This spring training he is only throwing 91-94 so far but he's working on command and actually pitching. Once he gets through a couple more outings I would expect him to start dialing up the velocity to his usual 95 mph and faster. That's when he will probably get back to getting better results. I still expect him to be starter #5. I have a hunch Miley ends up in the pen. 

Miley is looking like a terrible signing.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Should have kept DeSclafani.

I'm good with what they've got. I wouldn't have had Disco in the rotation this year over any of those 5. I also think one of Antone or Lorenzen might end up in the pen. The Reds have several rotation options at their disposal. 

1. Gray

2. Castillo

3. Mahle

4. Antone

5. Lorenzen 

Depth

De Leon

Miley

Gutierrez

Santillan 

Lodollo

Greene

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I'm good with what they've got. I wouldn't have had Disco in the rotation this year over any of those 5. I also think one of Antone or Lorenzen might end up in the pen. The Reds have several rotation options at their disposal. 

1. Gray

2. Castillo

3. Mahle

4. Antone

5. Lorenzen 

Depth

De Leon

Miley

Gutierrez

Santillan 

Lodollo

Greene