Jump to content

2021 MLB Season


5fouls
 Share

Recommended Posts

Unpopular opinion but the Reds made the right decision to not give up any top 20 prospects at the deadline for upgrades. They have Senzel, Moose, and Castellanos coming back soon. Sims coming back to help the bullpen by sometime in the next week. Anyone should be back in about 3 weeks. They weren’t going to have enough roster spots for everyone and none of the guys currently have options to AAA. A Bullpen of Sims, Lorenzen, Givens, Cessa, Hembree, Garrett, Hoffman, Wilson, and Brach/Doolittle depending on who gets DFA’d when Sims gets back and the other goes when Antone comes back is much improved compare to what the Reds have had most of the season.
 

Edited by DC2345
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Unpopular opinion but the Reds made the right decision to not give up any top 20 prospects at the deadline for upgrades. They have Senzel, Moose, and Castellanos coming back soon. Sims coming back to help the bullpen by sometime in the next week. Anyone should be back in about 3 weeks. They weren’t going to have enough roster spots for everyone and none of the guys currently have options to AAA. A Bullpen of Sims, Lorenzen, Givens, Cessa, Hembree, Garrett, Hoffman, Wilson, and Brach/Doolittle depending on who gets DFA’d when Sims gets back and the other goes when Antone comes back is much improved compare to what the Reds have had most of the season.
 

I agree. I don't know a whole lot about the logistics of baseball... but it does seem the Reds are right there. No idea who's contract is up and what not... but this Reds team, this year... is a solid one. 

Stephenson and India are so solid. Keep Winker and Castellanos. Seems like there's a young dude or two in Triple A that might be ready to go game 1 next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Unpopular opinion but the Reds made the right decision to not give up any top 20 prospects at the deadline for upgrades. They have Senzel, Moose, and Castellanos coming back soon. Sims coming back to help the bullpen by sometime in the next week. Anyone should be back in about 3 weeks. They weren’t going to have enough roster spots for everyone and none of the guys currently have options to AAA. A Bullpen of Sims, Lorenzen, Givens, Cessa, Hembree, Garrett, Hoffman, Wilson, and Brach/Doolittle depending on who gets DFA’d when Sims gets back and the other goes when Antone comes back is much improved compare to what the Reds have had most of the season.
 

Honestly I haven't really seen many fans complain about who the Reds gave up or got in return.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, rico said:

Honestly I haven't really seen many fans complain about who the Reds gave up or got in return.  

 

That was my point. They didn’t give up any meaningful prospects. Some fans think they should’ve acquired a closer or a bat at the deadline but I disagree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I agree. I don't know a whole lot about the logistics of baseball... but it does seem the Reds are right there. No idea who's contract is up and what not... but this Reds team, this year... is a solid one. 

Stephenson and India are so solid. Keep Winker and Castellanos. Seems like there's a young dude or two in Triple A that might be ready to go game 1 next year. 

Castellanos is tricky. He has a 4 year deal but and opt out which he’ll probably do since he’s having a great year. The Reds would have to give him a new deal. In the minors Jose Berrero a SS who is MLB ready now. The pitchers Hunter Green and Nick Lodolo who are both very close to MLB ready. All 3 are top 100 prospects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Unpopular opinion but the Reds made the right decision to not give up any top 20 prospects at the deadline for upgrades. They have Senzel, Moose, and Castellanos coming back soon. Sims coming back to help the bullpen by sometime in the next week. Anyone should be back in about 3 weeks. They weren’t going to have enough roster spots for everyone and none of the guys currently have options to AAA. A Bullpen of Sims, Lorenzen, Givens, Cessa, Hembree, Garrett, Hoffman, Wilson, and Brach/Doolittle depending on who gets DFA’d when Sims gets back and the other goes when Antone comes back is much improved compare to what the Reds have had most of the season.
 

You can have Senzel.  He's an injury waiting to happen.  So where is Moose going to play?  Not second and not sure either he nor Suarez are going to be thrilled with a platoon.  Castellanos is going to cost you big $$ eventually.  The bullpen is questionable at best.  I'm a little surprised they didn't try to package something because I don't think they're catching anyone ahead of them this year.  A deal for a couple of prospects wouldn't have bothered me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

You can have Senzel.  He's an injury waiting to happen.  So where is Moose going to play?  Not second and not sure either he nor Suarez are going to be thrilled with a platoon.  Castellanos is going to cost you big $$ eventually.  The bullpen is questionable at best.  I'm a little surprised they didn't try to package something because I don't think they're catching anyone ahead of them this year.  A deal for a couple of prospects wouldn't have bothered me.

Short sighted point of view but whatever floats your boat. Moose and Senzel with both play and a added benefits to the current roster over a guy like Freeman. Moose is playing 3rd and some second and Senzel is going to be a super utility guy when he gets back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Short sighted point of view but whatever floats your boat. Moose and Senzel with both play and a added benefits to the current roster over a guy like Freeman. Moose is playing 3rd and some second and Senzel is going to be a super utility guy when he gets back. 

I don't doubt what you're saying.  Just have to wonder what happens with Suarez, Naquin, Aquino, Schrock.  No one is moving India and Farmer deserves to start, IMHO.  Moose and Suarez can platoon, but neither will be happy with it.   Oh yeah, there's Akiyama too.  If the National League would use the DH then the Reds would be set.  But I don't see that happening.   I certainly see your position, but just don't agree.   😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I don't doubt what you're saying.  Just have to wonder what happens with Suarez, Naquin, Aquino, Schrock.  No one is moving India and Farmer deserves to start, IMHO.  Moose and Suarez can platoon, but neither will be happy with it.   Oh yeah, there's Akiyama too.  If the National League would use the DH then the Reds would be set.  But I don't see that happening.   I certainly see your position, but just don't agree.   😊

Speaking of Schrock, Shrek to me, he goes 5-5 today in place of Votto who got the day off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I don't doubt what you're saying.  Just have to wonder what happens with Suarez, Naquin, Aquino, Schrock.  No one is moving India and Farmer deserves to start, IMHO.  Moose and Suarez can platoon, but neither will be happy with it.   Oh yeah, there's Akiyama too.  If the National League would use the DH then the Reds would be set.  But I don't see that happening.   I certainly see your position, but just don't agree.   😊

The reality is the Reds will have some position depth within a week which also provides more quality pinch hit options late in games. The DH will be in the NL next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The reality is the Reds will have some position depth within a week which also provides more quality pinch hit options late in games. The DH will be in the NL next year. 

I hope you're right about the DH.  Have you seen/read/heard that it's happening or are you guessing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The reality is the Reds will have some position depth within a week which also provides more quality pinch hit options late in games. The DH will be in the NL next year. 

With rule changes coming that will make contact hitters more and more important as we move forward....at least that's the rumor mill with Theo at MLB to Jed with Cubs.

Really hope the Reds chase down the Brewers. Just noticed 9 of final 18 vs Pirates and they have a series vs White Sox in there as well....where you might think the WS would be resting guys. Honestly the entire month of September looks really juicy for Reds schedule wise. Besides one series vs Dodgers they might not face a playoff team the entire month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I agree. I don't know a whole lot about the logistics of baseball... but it does seem the Reds are right there. No idea who's contract is up and what not... but this Reds team, this year... is a solid one. 

Stephenson and India are so solid. Keep Winker and Castellanos. Seems like there's a young dude or two in Triple A that might be ready to go game 1 next year. 

Castellanos more than likely will opt out after this year and probably get more than the Reds can pay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I hope you're right about the DH.  Have you seen/read/heard that it's happening or are you guessing?

There’s going to be a new collective bargaining agreement this off-season. The universal DH, the 3 batter pitcher rule, getting rid of the shift, and a few other things are expected to be things that’ll get worked out then and used as bargaining chips for the two sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Castellanos more than likely will opt out after this year and probably get more than the Reds can pay

Its very possible but Reds ownership as cheap as they may be at times doesn’t like to trade or lose popular players in there prime. That’s a common known fact since this ownership group took over. The only player really that they haven’t resigned was Bauer who got crazy money and that looks like a blessing now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

There’s going to be a new collective bargaining agreement this off-season. The universal DH, the 3 batter pitcher rule, getting rid of the shift, and a few other things are expected to be things that’ll get worked out then and used as bargaining chips for the two sides.

🙏🙏🙏

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Its very possible but Reds ownership as cheap as they may be at times doesn’t like to trade or lose popular players in there prime. That’s a common known fact since this ownership group took over. The only player really that they haven’t resigned was Bauer who got crazy money and that looks like a blessing now.

Yeah, Nick is beloved in the Nati.  It will be interesting how it plays out in the off season.

On a side note I wonder how hard the Reds tried moving Suarez at the dead line?  Geno seems to be the odd man out...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlie Goldsmith, Cincinnati Enquirer 12 hrs ago
Reds starter Vladimir Gutierrez had one of the best starts of his career. He executed his goal to locate his fastballs lower in the strike zone, and he carried a no-hitter into the fifth inning. Gutierrez allowed just one run in seven innings, and he pitched at least six innings for the seventh time in his 12 MLB starts.

"We know we still have to keep going and we can’t stop doing what we’re doing," Gutierrez said via interpreter Jorge Merlos. "Especially us starters ... We have to be ready for anything."

The Reds had the best record in the National League in July at 16-10, and they had two of the best hitters in baseball. Votto had the most home runs in the NL in July with 11, and shortstop Kyle Farmer led the league with a .395 batting average.

In July, the Reds had their best batting average and their best OPS of any month this season. This week, the Reds have won three consecutive series against the St. Louis Cardinals, the Chicago Cubs and the Mets.

In the first game of August, that momentum carried over. While Votto got an off day on Sunday, Farmer hit an RBI triple. Max Schrock, Votto’s replacement in the lineup for the game, gave the Reds an early lead with a line drive home run to right field.

Schrock had a career-high five hits, including four singles. Over his last five starts, Schrock has a .579 batting average.
"It was a really good last couple series," Schrock said. "It’s always good to get series wins, and that’s what we need to keep doing."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Reds are the Reds when it comes to disappointing but seems they have a favorable schedule over the last couple of months and the Pads may not have Tatis.  I wouldn't be surprsed if they got swept by the Twins to show how focused they are in taking care of business and tracking down the Brewers or Padres.  Anyway, i like where they are. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

The Reds are the Reds when it comes to disappointing but seems they have a favorable schedule over the last couple of months and the Pads may not have Tatis.  I wouldn't be surprsed if they got swept by the Twins to show how focused they are in taking care of business and tracking down the Brewers or Padres.  Anyway, i like where they are. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As a Yankee fan, I would like to take this time to thank the Cubs organization that made the Anthony Rizzo trade happen. He was valuable in a 3 game sweep of the Marlins,

No problem! Glad we could help! I'm pulling for the Yankees, Rays, Reds, Padres, and Giants as we move along.....now I might jump off the nearest 12 story building. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did anybody see that the Mets failed to sign their 1st round(#10 over all) pick?  They could not come to an agreement with Vandy's Kumar Rocker.  I guess I never realized how this worked as I just assumed that meant the Mets wouldn't have nothing to show for that pick.  Instead the Mets get a #11 pick(compensatory) next year in addition to wherever their other 1st round pick is gonna be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...