2021 MLB Season

5fouls

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They were in a shift so Suarez wasn't near the bag

That's true, but the look on Votto's face made me think that he felt Suarez could/should have been moving toward the bag.  Joey's mistake, IMHO, was not conceding the run and making the out at first.  But I suppose you could argue that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt very many teams has an 8th place hitter with 22 hr and 63 RBI.  He is on a 6 game hit streak with 6 hits.

Also wondering when Moose and Denzel comes back where they will play.

Moose is an easy one(perhaps) as he can get everyday AB's play 1B,2B, and 3B.  Now Senzel is another story...I don't know if it is wise for him to play CF due to injury concerns.  Quite the pickle the Reds are in.  Too many everyday position players...we need the DH.

4 hours ago, rico said:

The Pirates had a fluky 5th inning to score those runs.  Gray got the win.

Suarez batted 8th in the line-up with a 3 run dong.

The Reds are a season high 7 games over .500

Cast is back and Moose to be activated soon.  

During the post game program they mentioned that this was the first time the Reds are 7 games above .500 since some 2014.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Situation - men on first and third, one out.  Batter hits grounder to Votto six ft off first.  Joey chooses to check the guy on third who breaks for home, stops starts to head back.  Joey fakes throw to home and looks to throw to third, but Suarez has been watching from his position 15 ft off third...not covering the bag.  The batter runs to first.   Everyone is safe.

What was the score at that time? To me, that dictates what play Votto makes.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Moose is an easy one(perhaps) as he can get everyday AB's play 1B,2B, and 3B.  Now Senzel is another story...I don't know if it is wise for him to play CF due to injury concerns.  Quite the pickle the Reds are in.  Too many everyday position players...we need the DH.

I agree somewhat.  India is the best leadoff man the Reds have had since??  Would hate seeing his time impacted too much.  Personally, I like the idea of a loose platoon at third with great consideration given to who the opposing pitcher is and each player's batting history.  We definitely need the DH.  Think you probably need to keep Senzel until you know what Castellanos wants to do.  It's certainly a predicament.   😊

13 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

During the post game program they mentioned that this was the first time the Reds are 7 games above .500 since some 2014.

And they also mentioned that the Reds now have ten relief pitchers who have recorded a save this season.  Not all on the active roster, I think, but ten guys used to get a save.  Some kind of record or first time ever deal, I guess?

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I agree somewhat.  India is the best leadoff man the Reds have had since??  Would hate seeing his time impacted too much.  Personally, I like the idea of a loose platoon at third with great consideration given to who the opposing pitcher is and each player's batting history.  We definitely need the DH.  Think you probably need to keep Senzel until you know what Castellanos wants to do.  It's certainly a predicament.   😊

Indy still needs a day off every now and then.

3B is the one Moose is gonna man the most because we can't forget about TySteve getting his reps at 1B.  My guess is that Bell will try playing Suarez at SS again some more.

If the NL gets the DH next year, with Geno's woes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Senzel back at 3rd.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just get the out in that case, run.means nothing but he has seen that bullpen up.and close and most of thought the run did mean something 

I can hear one of my old coaches, Stan Montgomery yelling at me, "God d***** one run makes it 7-2 and there's no such thing as a 5 run homer!" 

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, rico said:

3B is the one Moose is gonna man the most because we can't forget about TySteve getting his reps at 1B.  My guess is that Bell will try playing Suarez at SS again some more.

If the NL gets the DH next year, with Geno's woes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Senzel back at 3rd.

I play Farmer over Suarez at SS, but I'm down Eugenio.  He lost me when began talking about 50 hrs during spring training.  Nope!  Bad idea.  Sorry!

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can hear one of my old coaches, Stan Montgomery yelling at me, "God d***** one run makes it 7-2 and there's no such thing as a 5 run homer!" 

If you have watched the Reds any if there is a way to blow games they will. I thought I heard Jeff Brantley one night say that of all games ended after 7 the Reds would have the best record in baseball

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, if we have the DH, then you let Suarez have it...or platoon it for left/right.  He's an average defensive player, at best.  I don't want to see try to play SS.

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I play Farmer over Suarez at SS, but I'm down Eugenio.  He lost me when began talking about 50 hrs during spring training.  Nope!  Bad idea.  Sorry!

Oh yeah, the SS position is Kyle's.  But Bell will figure out a way to keep Suarez in there.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

If you have watched the Reds any if there is a way to blow games they will. I thought I heard Jeff Brantley one night say that of all games ended after 7 the Reds would have the best record in baseball

Yeah, I've gathered from the talk here that the Reds bullpen is bad...

But was always taught that when you have a big lead, the goal is to keep the tying run from coming to the plate...trade outs for runs til the lead is down to 5, and even then inning and matchups dictate what to do...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But was always taught that when you have a big lead, the goal is to keep the tying run from coming to the plate...trade outs for runs til the lead is down to 5, and even then inning and matchups dictate what to do...

I agree and I would be ticked if a team at any level did that let alone MLB team

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You forget something...a helluva lot of MLB players(NBA and NFL too) are not "students of the game."  And quite frankly I wonder about some of the managers as well.  Somewhere down the line the intricacies of the game are just not taught like they used to be.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, if we have the DH, then you let Suarez have it...or platoon it for left/right.  He's an average defensive player, at best.  I don't want to see try to play SS.

Castellanos will determine how the Reds deal with the DH next year.  If he returns or not that is.

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

The thing is that they just can't make up ground on the Brewers.  On June 2 they were 7 games put and today they are still 7 games out.  Getting swept by the Brewers ear like loosing 6 games in the standings.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that they just can't make up ground on the Brewers.  On June 2 they were 7 games put and today they are still 7 games out.  Getting swept by the Brewers ear like loosing 6 games in the standings.

I would probably give up on the division. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Still ball left to be played.  The Reds just need to focus on winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the way out and hope they can reel in the Brew Crew for a division title if not the WC is well within their grasp.