2021 MLB Season

5fouls

21 minutes ago, rico said:

You forget something...a helluva lot of MLB players(NBA and NFL too) are not "students of the game."  And quite frankly I wonder about some of the managers as well.  Somewhere down the line the intricacies of the game are just not taught like they used to be.

I think at the end of the day.. people are going to trust their stuff. So sure, they might get into a tough predicament, but if they execute pitches... they can get themselves out of anything. How many times have we seen runners stranded in scoring position with less than two outs in Reds game recently? 

I don't ever really remember any coach going over many intricacies ever... in any sport. I taught myself that at home watching ball. Or...... my dad taught me. And there is A LOT of kids right now that simply don't get that much time with their dad. Sucks. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

You forget something...a helluva lot of MLB players(NBA and NFL too) are not "students of the game."  And quite frankly I wonder about some of the managers as well.  Somewhere down the line the intricacies of the game are just not taught like they used to be.

Which reminds of one of the great stories from Jim Bouton's "Ball Four."

Bouton had just been traded by the Pilots to the Astros. The first thing all the players told him was what a pain in the ass manager Harry "The Hat" Walker was about playing the game "the right way."

Soon after, there was an old timers game, and Walker (who was a pretty fair ballplayer for the Cardinals in the 40s and 50s) played in it...and of course all the players were getting on him. His first at bat they're saying, "get your pitch, Harry" "hit it up the middle, Harry." 

Sure enough, Harry gets a good pitch and drives a clean single right up the middle.

So then the players are all yelling, "gotta get a good jump, Harry!" "Gotta break up two Harry!" 

Sure enough the next batter hits a grounder to shortstop, and Walker flies into second with a perfect slide and breaks up the double play...

To which Doug Rader says, "Sonofabitch, every time we have an old timers game Harry singles up the middle and breaks up two." 

I love that story...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Ok lol ..... they're 7 back. Why not worry about the WC that infinitely more achievable? Brewers are the best team in the Central, by a lot. 

No, their not the best team in the Central by a lot... they are a 1/2 game up on the Reds within the division.  After the week-end I imagine the Reds will have the better record with-in the division.  The Reds have simply pissed away too many games that should have went in the win column.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rico said:

No, their not the best team in the Central by a lot... they are a 1/2 game up on the Reds within the division.  After the week-end I imagine the Reds will have the better record with-in the division.  The Reds have simply pissed away too many games that should have went in the win column.

You can't only count games against the division. And if you piss away games, which I agree they've done, that is a sign of team that's a little above average... Brewers don't do that.  

I do think the Reds are the 5th best team in the NL though.  3 teams from the West and Brewers being better though. East doesn't impress me much. 

13 minutes ago, rico said:

I think the Brewers are clearly the class of the central. Reds can get a WC spot though. 

Mike Shildt is really making me question him lately. Last night, he brings in our closer in the 8th with two outs and runners at 1st and 2nd. He then proceeds to hit a guy and then walks 4 in a row before Shildt finally makes a move. Didn’t even get someone up in the bullpen until after the 4th batter reached. Cards pitching staff is 2 walks away from tying the all-time record for most based loaded walks given up. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Moose is an easy one(perhaps) as he can get everyday AB's play 1B,2B, and 3B.  Now Senzel is another story...I don't know if it is wise for him to play CF due to injury concerns.  Quite the pickle the Reds are in.  Too many everyday position players...we need the DH.

I am only sitting India and Votto under extreme circumstance.  For me, its Moose vs Suarez in a platoon or playing the hot hand.

I don't ever really remember any coach going over many intricacies ever... in any sport. I taught myself that at home watching ball. Or...... my dad taught me. And there is A LOT of kids right now that simply don't get that much time with their dad. Sucks. 

I learned a lot of baseball on my own too, but I also had 3 baseball coaches (Bill Tutterow @ Martinsville, Ted Server @ Franklin, and the aforementioned Stan Montgomery in an Indy area semi-pro league) who were all 3 death on playing the right way and stressing the little things, like when to shuffle step and when to cross over on a ground ball, what to watch on a right handed pitcher when you were on first, and how to cover first as a pitcher...

A few years back, I was watching a pitcher cover first on a grounder to the first baseman. He ran right to the bag, crossed in front of the runner, and there was a collision...

All 3 would have said he got what he deserved...

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you have watched the Reds any if there is a way to blow games they will. I thought I heard Jeff Brantley one night say that of all games ended after 7 the Reds would have the best record in baseball

If true, that's evidence of an historically bad bullpen.  What are there, 10 or 11 teams with a better record, including being 12 games or so behind the Giants.

• Like 1

I would probably give up on the division. 

One thing the Reds have in their favor is 9 of their last 18 games are against the Pirates.  Get the lead down to 3 or 4 games with 20 to go and who knows.

I do believe the Wild Card will be easier.  The pressure is all on the Padres.

• Like 2

Ok lol ..... they're 7 back. Why not worry about the WC that infinitely more achievable? Brewers are the best team in the Central, by a lot. 

The Brewers are not better than the Reds.  Their record is.  Their bullpen is.  But, the Reds have a huge advantage offensively.  

The Brewers lead was built against a different Reds team than exists today.  The moment Jonathan India started hitting lead off, the Reds became a different team.

And, bolstering the bullpen at the deadline and getting Lorenzen back has taken them up another notch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Mike Shildt is really making me question him lately. Last night, he brings in our closer in the 8th with two outs and runners at 1st and 2nd. He then proceeds to hit a guy and then walks 4 in a row before Shildt finally makes a move. Didn’t even get someone up in the bullpen until after the 4th batter reached. Cards pitching staff is 2 walks away from tying the all-time record for most based loaded walks given up. 

Sounds like the catcher isn't very good at framing pitches.  :coffee:

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One thing the Reds have in their favor is 9 of their last 18 games are against the Pirates.  Get the lead down to 3 or 4 games with 20 to go and who knows.

I do believe the Wild Card will be easier.  The pressure is all on the Padres.

Very true! Basically.. I just meant, worry about what's right in front of you first.. and go from there. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Brewers are not better than the Reds.  Their record is.  Their bullpen is.  But, the Reds have a huge advantage offensively.  

The Brewers lead was built against a different Reds team than exists today.  The moment Jonathan India started hitting lead off, the Reds became a different team.

And, bolstering the bullpen at the deadline and getting Lorenzen back has taken them up another notch.

Their starting pitching is better, as well. Not as big of an advantage now that Luis is rolling, but Brewers still have an advantage there.