2021 MLB Season

5fouls

19 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Reds with big first inning score 7 for Miley.  Big bases loaded 2 run double for Moose, two run single for Farmer, 3 run HR for Barnhart.  Miley pitch count is high with 37 after two innings.

Reds second - Winker solo HR, Moose with another double followed by Farmer rbi single.  9-0 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think the Brewers are clearly the class of the central. Reds can get a WC spot though. 

I wouldn't say that and the only thing the Brewers have on the Reds is the bullpen.  The Reds offense is far superior to the Brewers and for most of the year the Brewers offense was last in the NL.

Two things I see that has hampered the Reds is the Brewers sweep right after the all star break.  Second is the difference in the record vs the NL West.  The Reds 1-5 record vs Arizona is terrible.

I think they have found the right roles for Hembree and Doolittle and that is bring them in the 8th and 9th with a 10 run lead.

Reds have scored 17 runs in this series and 16 had scored in the 1st or 2nd innings.  I think In the last 5 games the Reds have only scored 1 run against the opposing teams bullpen.

The last 3 Reds losses they were ahead going into the 7th and lost two on walk off hits.

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That MIL team that isn't all that good beat the best team in baseball last night. 

Reds did pick up a big game with SD loss to AZ.... at home.... after the Padres had a 5-0 lead. 

Yeah, the Brewers really kicked the Giants' asses.  2-1 in 10 innings.  Milw put on an offensive display out slugging SF.

That game right there is the epitome of the Brewers season.

And yes the Reds picked up a game on the Friars.  Cincy just has to keep winning at a .667 clip.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That MIL team that isn't all that good beat the best team in baseball last night. 

Reds did pick up a big game with SD loss to AZ.... at home.... after the Padres had a 5-0 lead. 

No one said the Brewers were not good.  It was said that they were not better than the Reds at this point in the season.  Obviously, if you look at the entire season, Milwaukee has been 7 games better.  

Odds are against any pitcher getting to 20 wins this season.  

Kyle Hendricks and Julio Urius have 13 wins.  No one else has more than 11.  With about 50 games left, the average starter will have 10-11 starts left.  Can Hendricks win 7 out of 10 with the current Cubs roster?  Urius is probably only the 4th best starter in the Dodgers rotation.

Where is Mickey Lolich, and his 31 wins?

How about Wilbur Wood, who would both win and lose 20 in the same season?

Let alone Cy Young and his 511 wins.  Let's say the leader this year ends up with 18 wins.  It would take 29 years of winning 18 games to surpass Cy.  In other words, there is no danger that the award for best pitcher will be renamed the Kyle Hendricks award.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think they have found the right roles for Hembree and Doolittle and that is bring them in the 8th and 9th with a 10 run lead.

Reds have scored 17 runs in this series and 16 had scored in the 1st or 2nd innings.  I think In the last 5 games the Reds have only scored 1 run against the opposing teams bullpen.

The last 3 Reds losses they were ahead going into the 7th and lost two on walk off hits.

Yeah, it's amazing how effective those guys are when there's no pressure.  🙄  And they're facing the Pirates.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Haha 1

Winners of 9 of their last 11 games, the Yankees got a win last night against the Mariners after a walk-off single by the forgotten man, Brett Gardner, 3-2. Because both starting pitchers, Cole and Montgomery are out with covid, Boone had to use 9 pitchers to get the job done.

Yankees could be hitting their stride, we shall see...... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah, the Brewers really kicked the Giants' asses.  2-1 in 10 innings.  Milw put on an offensive display out slugging SF.

That game right there is the epitome of the Brewers season.

And yes the Reds picked up a game on the Friars.  Cincy just has to keep winning at a .667 clip.

I'll take pitching. You take hitting... we'll see who wins in Oct. 

I dont think the Brewers are some ungodly great team, but in a 120 game season thus far... you can't compare the Reds and Brewers. MIL is significantly better up until this point. 

You 3 have just acted like because the bullpen isn't good that it doesn't effect the overall team's "ranking" or whatever you want to call it. Wins are wins and losses are losses. 

Btw.. that was the pitching they went up against last night.  

Screenshot_20210807-122644_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Where is Mickey Lolich, and his 31 wins?

It was Denny McLain that won 31 in 68...But Lolich won 3 in the WS against the Cardinals including game 7

Last 30 game winner in the NL was Dizzy Dean for the Gas House Gang Cardinals in 1934

Edited by IUFLA

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was Denny McLain that won 31 in 68...But Lolich won 3 in the WS against the Cardinals including game 7

Last 30 game winner in the NL was Dizzy Dean for the Gas House Gang Cardinals in 1934

Dizzy and his brother, Paul...aka Daffy...won 49 games and the four World Series games that year for the Cardinals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One of the unbreakable records in sports...

If you won 25 games twenty years in a row, you'd still be 11 short...

And the last guy to win 25 or better (27) was Bob Welch in 1990 I think

Yeah, just take a look at Warren Spahn's career stats.  It was a different time for sure.   😊  I mention him because he was still pitching when I was a kid and can remember watching him.

Edited by jv1972iu

13 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, just take a look at Warren Spahn's career stats.  It was a different time for sure.   😊  I mention him because he was still pitching when I was a kid and can remember watching him.

I never saw him pitch although I was a kid when he was still active...but when I was young, I read every book about the history of baseball I could...

I remember reading the saying for the Braves in 1948 was "Spahn, Sain, and Dear Lord two days of rain." 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I never saw him pitch although I was a kid when he was still active...but when I was young, I read every book about the history of baseball I could...

I remember reading the saying for the Braves in 1948 was "Spahn, Sain, and Dear Lord two days of rain." 

And he could hit too.  For a 21 year career, he had 363 hits, 57 doubles, 6 triples, 35 hrs and 189 rbis.  Like I said, it was a different era and each team had their memorable star players.   😊    Oh yeah... he served three years of military duty during WWII.

Edited by jv1972iu