2021 MLB Season

5fouls

Just now, rico said:

Just like Scott and some others here I find myself questioning Bell's decisions all the time when my team loses.  Right or wrong, that is the way a rabid fan sees it.  Personally, I would not have trotted Lorenzen out there to start the 7th.  They didn't need another inning out of him imo.  But I will admit the view in the rearview year is always clear.  That was a killer loss for a division title.  But hey, this is 2021 and we have wild cards in MLB now.  The Reds will be fine(I hope).

But the bullpen hasn't been good. I would want my guys who have performed, to decide the game. Both times he's pitched more than 1 inning this season, he's pitched well. 

It is what it is. I'm as rapid of a fan as anyone for the Colts and IU and I don't have the need to constantly question coaching. Not that these guys are doing anything wrong with the decision last night... just saying in general. There is about a zillion different things that go into these decisions. Bottom line... Lorenzen didn't perform. That is a much, much bigger problem than any decision a manager makes, not executing. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But the bullpen hasn't been good. I would want my guys who have performed, to decide the game. Both times he's pitched more than 1 inning this season, he's pitched well. 

It is what it is. I'm as rapid of a fan as anyone for the Colts and IU and I don't have the need to constantly question coaching. Not that these guys are doing anything wrong with the decision last night... just saying in general. There is about a zillion different things that go into these decisions. Bottom line... Lorenzen didn't perform. That is a much, much bigger problem than any decision a manager makes, not executing. 

Fair enough and is how the curveball hangs!  And you are right, he didn't execute.

• Like 1

One of the dumber rules they've instituted is the "has to pitch to 3 batters" rule...it kinda ties a manager's hands in situations where one pitch can decide a ballgame. I guess you just have to look at all 3 matchups and hope you can win 2 of them...

I'd rather they just expand the roster to 30 and say no more than 15 pitchers can be on the roster at one time. Ditch that stupid rule...

But the greedy owners would never go for that...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One of the dumber rules they've instituted is the "has to pitch to 3 batters" rule...it kinda ties a manager's hands in situations where one pitch can decide a ballgame. I guess you just have to look at all 3 matchups and hope you can win 2 of them...

I'd rather they just expand the roster to 30 and say no more than 15 pitchers can be on the roster at one time. Ditch that stupid rule...

But the greedy owners would never go for that...

We will get them today.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Lorenzen went to the mound in the 6th with his adrenaline pumping and got out of a tough spot. Then Lorenzen went to the dugout and cooled off. He shouldn't have started the inning. Then he started the 7th and wasn't locating as well and the Brewers took advantage. Then Givens came in and the Brewers had to momentum. It's a great theory to have guys end an inning and start another but typically the relievers stuff isn't as good after sitting in the bullpen. 

I think the main problem with how he handled the bullpen is that he has never has a set role for each guy in the bullpen.  Some days he has Lorenzen in the 8th or 9th and then this time he came in the 6th.

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The other problem with the bullpen last night wasn't the relievers. It was Barnhart. His pitch calling was stuff that I wouldn't call for a high school game and he was trying to do it against the freaking Brewers. It was awful.

Was Barnhart calling the pitches, or were they being called from the bench?

I pitched quite a bit and if the catcher called it, and I didn't shake him off and threw it, and it got hit hard, he was the last person I'd have blamed...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Was Barnhart calling the pitches, or were they being called from the bench?

I pitched quite a bit and if the catcher called it, and I didn't shake him off and threw it, and it got hit hard, he was the last person I'd have blamed...

It’s Barnhart calling the game. There are some things that come from the bench but not pitches unless it’s a pinch hitter. Those do sometimes come from the bench.

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm here for the Gray has thrown 1 hit shutout ball on only 70 pitches so far and Bell will take him out in the 7th and Reds lose 6-5 comments. Just having fun gang. Hopefully this one ends with a CG next to Gray's name.

Sonny Gray's day is done after 6 scoreless and a 5 run lead.  Hold on to your sears Reds fans

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Didn't see the game, but from the box score it looks like the bullpen was up to the task today.  Each win is important.  So, I'm happy.   😊

The bullpen has been much better the last couple of weeks since the trade acquisitions, Sims came back, and Santillan came back up. It just had a hiccup against a better Brewers team the other night.

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The bullpen has been much better the last couple of weeks since the trade acquisitions, Sims came back, and Santillan came back up. It just had a hiccup against a better Brewers team the other night.

WOAH!!!!! 

Edited by btownqb

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

WOAH!!!!! 

The Brewers are better. I don’t like admitting it but they are. Votto even said the other day that this Brewers team has the best pitching staff he’s ever seen and they’ve had the Reds number this year. I just want the Reds to make the wild card and the Dodgers to overtake the Giants in that division.

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The Brewers are better. I don’t like admitting it but they are. Votto even said the other day that this Brewers team has the best pitching staff he’s ever seen and they’ve had the Reds number this year. I just want the Reds to make the wild card and the Dodgers to overtake the Giants in that division.

The Reds record is 9-10 versus the Brewers.  I don't see that as Milwaukee exactly having the Reds number.  But I understand the perception from a fan viewpoint.   😊

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

The Reds record is 9-10 versus the Brewers.  I don't see that as Milwaukee exactly having the Reds number.  But I understand the perception from a fan viewpoint.   😊

They have in the games that have mattered since the all star break when the Reds had a chance to close the gap in the division. I should’ve clarified. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

100%