Potential OC candidates

hoopsta007

I wanted to start a new thread based on the discussion in the Mack thread.  It seems like the consensus is that DeBoard needs to go.  The topic I have is two-fold.  Who would you replace him with and what style would you like to see employed?

Personally I think the spread is a better system for what we will be able to recruit. One name WAY off the radar that I think would be successful is Mike Leonard from Franklin College. Big leap from D3 but what  he has done there has been amazing!

40 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I wanted to start a new thread based on the discussion in the Mack thread.  It seems like the consensus is that DeBoard needs to go.  The topic I have is two-fold.  Who would you replace him with and what style would you like to see employed?

Personally I think the spread is a better system for what we will be able to recruit. One name WAY off the radar that I think would be successful is Mike Leonard from Franklin College. Big leap from D3 but what  he has done there has been amazing!

Played for Coach L... incredible dude. 

First of all, DeBord needs to go.  Badly.  I appreciate that he came here for a year to offer stability to Allen to help him get his feet wet, but I've never seen a less creative offense.  Our offensive line looked way worse than it should have because we were the most predictable offense ever.  Tough to block when everybody knows we're going to run a draw on first down.  That kind of stuff works when you have great talent (see Tennessee, 2016; see Michigan, late 90's).  His system doesn't fit at Indiana.  We're rarely going to beat OSU, PSU, Mich, Wis, etc. in the trenches.  We need creative play calling to help neutralize that.  I feel bad for our RBs and QBs being stuck in predictable plays all day long without any help from the play caller.

What I would look for in an OC is someone who is young and energetic.  Somebody who isn't afraid to call something off the wall.  I can't imagine recruits are falling over themselves to come play for DeBord either.  Our class this year was nice, but if you were a high school player looking to play offense, would you want to come play for that?  I wouldn't.

We're never going to get the kind of recruits the top of the conference gets.  We need creative play calling to make up the difference.

If DeBord were going to go, would we have heard about it already?  I feel like he'll be back next year.

I have said it for years but I hate the uptempo nd spread offense.  To me for IU to be successful we need to build our program like Iowa and UW have.  You build it around a huge OL and a great running game and a great defense.  I feel over the last few years the reason we blew so many games late in games is that we couldn't run out the clock.  It seemed like we would still hike the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have said it for years but I hate the uptempo nd spread offense.  To me for IU to be successful we need to build our program like Iowa and UW have.  You build it around a huge OL and a great running game and a great defense.  I feel over the last few years the reason we blew so many games late in games is that we couldn't run out the clock.  It seemed like we would still hike the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock.

Good thought and I agree about not being able to ice a game.  For whatever reason we just are able to recruit receivers better than linemen. (Wilson not withstanding) Maybe it is getting a line coach to develop guys, but historically that is a weak position for us which is why I struggle with a power offense

56 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Good thought and I agree about not being able to ice a game.  For whatever reason we just are able to recruit receivers better than linemen. (Wilson not withstanding) Maybe it is getting a line coach to develop guys, but historically that is a weak position for us which is why I struggle with a power offense

I am pretty sure DeBord was a OL in college.  Tells me something.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am pretty sure DeBord was a OL in college.  Tells me something.

Most OL aren't going to play right away anyway.. so they might be less worried about immediate playing time, so maybe that's why they will end up at bigger schools. Then you have kids like Whop.. he just needed to get on the field somewhere. Jmo.

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

As much as I hate to agree with him, I have to. I hate the spread offense. It is fine in a conference where nobody plays defense (OU) but in the big ten you are just wearing out your starters, the communications between the receivers, linemen, and backs is destroyed because there is no damn huddle, and it allows coaching blunders to go through two thirds of a game (Purdue) because we don’t get in a huddle and talk and get on the same page. I think you will see the pendulum start to swing back towards a more traditional offense throughout college football in the next few years. The spread is fine as a change of tempo, but not as your main offense and damn sure not unless you have recruited deep and you third team is as good as your first team.

35 minutes ago, Payday said:

As much as I hate to agree with him, I have to. I hate the spread offense. It is fine in a conference where nobody plays defense (OU) but in the big ten you are just wearing out your starters, the communications between the receivers, linemen, and backs is destroyed because there is no damn huddle, and it allows coaching blunders to go through two thirds of a game (Purdue) because we don’t get in a huddle and talk and get on the same page. I think you will see the pendulum start to swing back towards a more traditional offense throughout college football in the next few years. The spread is fine as a change of tempo, but not as your main offense and damn sure not unless you have recruited deep and you third team is as good as your first team.

Good insight.  I used the term spread offense but think maybe west coast would be something more accurate?  Simply, for IU I prefer a pass heavy offense because of our struggles on the line.  I’ve seen too many IU teams try to establish a run game and get destroyed.  Don’t necessarily care for the complete up tempo because 3 and outs also kill your D when you punt in 1 minute.

3 hours ago, hoopsta007 said:

Good insight.  I used the term spread offense but think maybe west coast would be something more accurate?  Simply, for IU I prefer a pass heavy offense because of our struggles on the line.  I’ve seen too many IU teams try to establish a run game and get destroyed.  Don’t necessarily care for the complete up tempo because 3 and outs also kill your D when you punt in 1 minute.

Our O-line a couple of years ago was very god and was one of the best in the conference.  Just because it has been a weakness before doesn't mean we can't make it a strength.  Back in the 80's NW and UW were the laughing stock of the big ten but they decided to build their program a certain way and then recruited to that strength.

I'm a fan of the spread. Kids want to play in the spread. We aren't exactly just a team that wants to throw it every play and just because we go I formation means we run it better. I think that's incredibly naive to believe.. some of the most elite rushing teams run out of the gun. Makes no sense to get away from it.

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm a fan of the spread. Kids want to play in the spread. We aren't exactly just a team that wants to throw it every play and just because we go I formation means we run it better. I think that's incredibly naive to believe.. some of the most elite rushing teams run out of the gun. Makes no sense to get away from it.

I'm with you on this one.  I think it allows for more opportunities for up and coming offensive coordinators.  I'd love to get somebody with some edge who is always looking for ways to keep defenses off balance.  I also like the idea someone had of no more 3 and outs that last about a minute in real time.  We need to pick and choose our spots better on when to go fast or slow it down.

I really like the idea of Leonard that got thrown out.  We need to hire as many Indiana guys as possible (as long as they are well qualified for the job).  No matter what style we go with, we need continuity.  Hiring Indiana/IU guys should help keep them around a little longer than somebody with no prior ties.

Allen is an Indiana guy, he'll stay here for a long time if he's wanted here.  The new strength coach is an IU guy.  As long as we pay him competitively, he'll hopefully stay a while.  If we can hire someone like Leonard, that would be a great foundation that should hopefully help with continuity so they learn one system over their career instead of 3 or 4.  Should help with in state recruiting too.

I highly respect the guys going the other way on this but I like using spread concepts.  I always used to say that when we had Wilson, and why be inconsistent now?   I think having a horizontal and vertical use of the field really pressures the defense.  And, you can absolutely pound the rock that way.   I don't mean always having five wides and an empty backfield. I just mean spread concepts.  I rather like packages for TE's and we have some good young ones.   Put three receivers on one side and then isolate a Hendershot or Ivy on the other side one on one.  That will be a winning formation plenty.  

I am a big believer in a strong running attack, but you can run very effectively by spreading the field.  You still want to recruit high end offensive linemen and we picked up a couple of mobile guys in Aidan Rafferty and Morozas this recruiting class, although we won't see them for a couple of years as they bulk up.  

I think at IU, spreading the field can help even out our performance against all the five stars and high four stars that the Buckeyes and Penn State get.  If OSU has an all NFL front seven, we are going to have trouble playing in a small, tight formation against them.  It's just reality.

People are writing off IU pretty easily right now, but since we hired Wilson, I like where we are trending.  I think we will surprise folks with how well we run the football next year.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 9:07 PM, btownqb said:

On 12/31/2017 at 10:07 PM, Leathernecks said:

I'm with you on this one.  I think it allows for more opportunities for up and coming offensive coordinators.  I'd love to get somebody with some edge who is always looking for ways to keep defenses off balance.  I also like the idea someone had of no more 3 and outs that last about a minute in real time.  We need to pick and choose our spots better on when to go fast or slow it down.

I really like the idea of Leonard that got thrown out.  We need to hire as many Indiana guys as possible (as long as they are well qualified for the job).  No matter what style we go with, we need continuity.  Hiring Indiana/IU guys should help keep them around a little longer than somebody with no prior ties.

Allen is an Indiana guy, he'll stay here for a long time if he's wanted here.  The new strength coach is an IU guy.  As long as we pay him competitively, he'll hopefully stay a while.  If we can hire someone like Leonard, that would be a great foundation that should hopefully help with continuity so they learn one system over their career instead of 3 or 4.  Should help with in state recruiting too.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:19 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I highly respect the guys going the other way on this but I like using spread concepts.  I always used to say that when we had Wilson, and why be inconsistent now?   I think having a horizontal and vertical use of the field really pressures the defense.  And, you can absolutely pound the rock that way.   I don't mean always having five wides and an empty backfield. I just mean spread concepts.  I rather like packages for TE's and we have some good young ones.   Put three receivers on one side and then isolate a Hendershot or Ivy on the other side one on one.  That will be a winning formation plenty.  

I am a big believer in a strong running attack, but you can run very effectively by spreading the field.  You still want to recruit high end offensive linemen and we picked up a couple of mobile guys in Aidan Rafferty and Morozas this recruiting class, although we won't see them for a couple of years as they bulk up.  

I think at IU, spreading the field can help even out our performance against all the five stars and high four stars that the Buckeyes and Penn State get.  If OSU has an all NFL front seven, we are going to have trouble playing in a small, tight formation against them.  It's just reality.

People are writing off IU pretty easily right now, but since we hired Wilson, I like where we are trending.  I think we will surprise folks with how well we run the football next year.  

On 12/31/2017 at 8:27 PM, IU Scott said:

Our O-line a couple of years ago was very god and was one of the best in the conference.  Just because it has been a weakness before doesn't mean we can't make it a strength.  Back in the 80's NW and UW were the laughing stock of the big ten but they decided to build their program a certain way and then recruited to that strength.

The answer is going with the spread offense but not the fast never huddle up pace that runs the legs off the starters. The spread is fine as long as you don’t compromise communication. Besides, if you are going to go at such a fast pace you need to be a legitimate two or three deep team. It is like sending a sprinter to the track to run a relay race alone against four other sprinters, at some point he just gets tired. Go to a slower pace, get in a huddle every so often. We are just not deep enough yet to run the legs off teams like the Michigan’s, Ohio, or Wisconsin type teams and if we slow it down and have better communication we beat the teams like Maryland and Purdue without a problem. This is about playing a system that fits the players you have and not trying to force players into a system. Great coaches adjust.

Archived