National Scene 2021(Not BIG)

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't think it really matters does it?  Does anyone watch Rutgers sports? 

All that matters is cable subscriptions. NJ and NY cable companies make BTN standard as a result of Rutgers. Otherwise it’s ala carte or shoved to the most expensive channel tier and thus millions less in revenue 

• Thanks 1

So with it starting to look like there is a very good possibilty of Texas/OU leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC, i wonder if the B1G will make a move and add two teams to keep up with them. The Big 12 would be crap without those two teams so i could see it folding. 

I think the B1G would invite KU right away, so who would be the second team? I would think either the Cyclones or maybe KSU.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

So with it starting to look like there is a very good possibilty of Texas/OU leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC, i wonder if the B1G will make a move and add two teams to keep up with them. The Big 12 would be crap without those two teams so i could see it folding. 

I think the B1G would invite KU right away, so who would be the second team? I would think either the Cyclones or maybe KSU.

Other expansions have been about market grabs.  TCU or Baylor would grab the 5th largest and Georgia Tech would grab the 7th.  The remaining stragglers of the B12 would be in trouble and likely merge with the American.  

Kansas, k state, Oklahoma state (undervalued-filthy rich booster), texas tech, west Virginia, tcu, baylor, and iowa state.  

Its been said that kansas state government wouldn't allow ksu and kansas to split, not sure if thats true.  Already in Iowa so I would guess Iowa st is out.  

To me the only money value add is either Baylor/TCU or Oklahoma st.  

47 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Kansas is a basketball force but a small market compared to Dallas/Ft worth.

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Other expansions have been about market grabs.  TCU or Baylor would grab the 5th largest and Georgia Tech would grab the 7th.  The remaining stragglers of the B12 would be in trouble and likely merge with the American.  

Kansas, k state, Oklahoma state (undervalued-filthy rich booster), texas tech, west Virginia, tcu, baylor, and iowa state.  

Its been said that kansas state government wouldn't allow ksu and kansas to split, not sure if thats true.  Already in Iowa so I would guess Iowa st is out.  

To me the only money value add is either Baylor/TCU or Oklahoma st.  

The reason i think they would take KU is not just because they are a Blue Blood in basketball but they are an AAU school along with ISU, and some of those other Big 12 schools aren't. When Nebrask lost their AAU status supposedly the B1G regreted inviting them, but pen had already been put to paper so there wasn't much they could do.

Also i was reading on a KU forum and that KSU thing with the goverment isn't true the way they were talking.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Kansas is a basketball force but a small market compared to Dallas/Ft worth.

Their basketball is a national brand and that would be big for streaming rights. With people strarting to cordcut more market size doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Edited by Hoosier51

33 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Their basketball is a national brand and that would be big for streaming rights. With people strarting to cordcut more market size doesn't mean as much as it used to.

I disagree.  It is still about TV sets and how many there are in a particular area.  Hence why Rutgers is in the B1G.  

If I was the Big 12 I would be on the phone with Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston.  But I think it would be too little too late.  There was an article a few years back that the Big 12 would be the conference to dissolve.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rico said:

I disagree.  It is still about TV sets and how many there are in a particular area.  Hence why Rutgers is in the B1G.  

If I was the Big 12 I would be on the phone with Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston.  But I think it would be too little too late.  There was an article a few years back that the Big 12 would be the conference to dissolve.

Cincinnati is already in the middle of the Big ten footprint so they're likely not a candidate.  

Memphis is one from a geographical standpoint that may open up a market many have not considered.  Id still be considering trying to lute Georgia tech before them .

Houston is certainly one to consider with the number eight TV market.  

I know this is all speculative.  I wonder if Kansas was offered last time before Nebraska was,  Kansas said no Nebraska said yes. It may also be that Nebraska was at one time a national football brand and the Big ten was hoping for a resurrection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Cincinnati is already in the middle of the Big ten footprint so they're likely not a candidate.  

Memphis is one from a geographical standpoint that may open up a market many have not considered.  Id still be considering trying to lute Georgia tech before them .

Houston is certainly one to consider with the number eight TV market.  

I know this is all speculative.  I wonder if Kansas was offered last time before Nebraska was,  Kansas said no Nebraska said yes. It may also be that Nebraska was at one time a national football brand and the Big ten was hoping for a resurrection.

Whoa, West Virginia is in the Big 12 so Cincy would fit.

If the Texas / Oklahoma thing comes to fruition, it will be interesting to see what the SEC does with their divisions.  If they want to stay geographic, it could/would likely have significant impact.

With two coming into the West, someone would need to shift East.  The easternmost school is Auburn, but you're not going to move them without Alabama.  Hence, bot Auburn and Alabama move East, while Missouri goes West, which is where they should have been all along.

That leaves

• West -Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, LSU, Missouri, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Mississippi State
  • East - Alabama, Auburn, UK, Vandy, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina,

Not sure that goes over well in the heart of SEC country.  The East looks like a traditional SEC setup.  The West, however, looks like the old Southwest conference.  Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee fans would lose their mind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

I dunno, but IMO the Big 12 sure as heck better have some ducks lined up.  

The Big 12 is dead.  Regardless of who they add, they will not be looked at as being a 'Power' conference.  The remaining schools, other than Baylor and TCU are in small media markets in smallish population centers.  Even Baylor and/or TCU are option #4 at best in their own state. 

I see little appeal for any of the remaining schools for the Big Ten, and even less for the Pac 12.  Maybe the Pac 12 would want the 3 Texas schools and Houston to get to 16 teams.  It would give them a presence in Texas, at least.  

the Big Ten needs to focus South and East,  Georgia Tech and Virginia are the two schools I would want if I were the Big Ten.   

• Like 3

As we have discussed here before, football considerations rule when it comes to  making expansionary moves. 

Given that, the two best schools for the B1G to pursue would be W. Virginia and a school in Texas. However, the Mountaineers don't bring much else to the table, and the B1G already has their tv markets covered between Maryland, Penn St. and to a lesser extent, Rutgers. I would cross W. Virginia off. The Texas situation is completely different, and in my opinion, TCU makes complete sense. Not only would it provide exposure in a huge tv marketplace as has been mentioned, it would also establish a firm presence in one of the hotbeds for recruiting talent. In and of itself, that would be worth accepting a school like TCU. I also like the Georgia Tech idea for the same reasons. 

Regardless of the history, success and aura of the Kansas basketball program, I just don't see the value they would bring otherwise. Iowa State is only going to be a draw as long as Campbell remains coach. Once he leaves, they will return to the dredges of whatever conference they end up in. OK State has has success, but really little attractiveness on a larger scale.

10 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah Texas and Oklahoma are the big money makers in that conference, so without them like you said it would be to little to late.