National Scene 2021(Not BIG)

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not much buzz about it here in the Midwest, but cannot imagine Clay Helton makes it through this season after losing at home to a mediocre Stanford team. Not just based on this one game, but Helton has been on the hot seat, and USC recruiting has not lived up to standards. Notice how programs like Oregon are coming in and getting a lot of the best talent in such a fertile recruiting ground that is California.

Also, how in the heck does a kicker get himself ejected for targeting on the opening kickoff?

Not to mention UCLA I think is improving at a much faster rate. If they finish below them and lose. Watch out Matt Campbell of ISU.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Oh who knows.  Won’t know for months. Heck, I heard one rumor that James Franklin would be very interested if the job came open.  It’s going to be an interesting and long three months for the USC fans.

From TSN:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/uscs-10-best-coaching-candidates-replace-clay-helton-urban-meyer-bob-stoops-james-franklin/mzr31ki78tp21ka4g9cz8zlqk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Campbell would seem to be a home run for both parties. Saturday had to be a huge reminder that no matter what he has at Iowa State, they'll always be little brother to Iowa.  Might be time to move on to greener pastures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Campbell would seem to be a home run for both parties. Saturday had to be a huge reminder that no matter what he has at Iowa State, they'll always be little brother to Iowa.  Might be time to move on to greener pastures.

He needs to jump at the 1st marquee job that comes along, jmo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not to mention UCLA I think is improving at a much faster rate. If they finish below them and lose. Watch out Matt Campbell of ISU.

Great point. Hard to watch your cross-town rival gaining momentum.  That has to drive USC alumni crazy. They need to make a bold hire to match what Kelley is building at UCLA, along with keeping up with Oregon. Campbell would make a big splash on the field and in the media.

• Like 1

Here's a crazy, off the wall idea for USC...what about Chip Kelly? 

Obviously proven at Oregon, NFL experience and while maybe slower than anticipated but has UCLA trending up. 

Kelly seems like the type of guy that wouldn't be afraid to make that type of move, and for USC it would be a shot across the bow of UCLA. 

15 minutes ago, rico said:

He needs to jump at the 1st marquee job that comes along, jmo.

Coaching is kinda like politics. You strike when the iron is hot...because your name recognition/resume can change rapidly. If you want that premier job where you have the resources and tools to actually win at the national level...you go for it when it comes across. Besides...if you fail you will have another job waiting for you.

I look at the fact that Iowa St is going to be losing quite a bit of revenue in the coming years....will they be able to afford to keep him and give him raises? Fickell at Cincy worked with USC AD who was UC's AD. So a link is there perhaps. I'm not sure they can pull anyone away from another PAC12 school again....Cristobal seems in pretty good spot at Oregon. Does Bob Stoops want to come back and coach again? He signed up for the XFL and is doing the college gameday gig thing. However I think perhaps a better hire might be his brother Mark Stoops at UK. Has made a laughing stock of the SEC respectable in conference and that is no easy thing to do. Could he do what James Franklin did at Penn St? Speaking of Penn St....what about Bill Obrein?? Seems every coordinator under Saban gets a second shot lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I wonder if Fickell is waiting to see how long Day stays at Ohio State.  That is his dream job. If the NFL comes calling, or the defense continues to struggle, the position could become available, and Fickell is the obvious choice for the Buckeyes.

If Luke is offered SC, he should take it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Coaching is kinda like politics. You strike when the iron is hot...because your name recognition/resume can change rapidly. If you want that premier job where you have the resources and tools to actually win at the national level...you go for it when it comes across. Besides...if you fail you will have another job waiting for you.

I look at the fact that Iowa St is going to be losing quite a bit of revenue in the coming years....will they be able to afford to keep him and give him raises? Fickell at Cincy worked with USC AD who was UC's AD. So a link is there perhaps. I'm not sure they can pull anyone away from another PAC12 school again....Cristobal seems in pretty good spot at Oregon. Does Bob Stoops want to come back and coach again? He signed up for the XFL and is doing the college gameday gig thing. However I think perhaps a better hire might be his brother Mark Stoops at UK. Has made a laughing stock of the SEC respectable in conference and that is no easy thing to do. Could he do what James Franklin did at Penn St? Speaking of Penn St....what about Bill Obrein?? Seems every coordinator under Saban gets a second shot lol.

Hearing scuttlebutt that Mark Stoops is the "front runner."  Or it could be UK fans getting nervous?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rico said:

Hearing scuttlebutt that Mark Stoops is the "front runner."  Or it could be UK fans getting nervous?

They've been nervous for a few years now. I'm not saying he is the next Urban Meyer or anything but I had to watch a LOT of SEC football living in Kentucky for the many years I did. He did a really good job there building up the program. He has recruited well and most importantly his players have improved and tend to get better. Some of his game management etc over the years I think have been questioned but not so much his ability to improve kids and work with them. I'd say given the talent he would do a good job in a bigger program.

The most irritating thing about living in Kentucky was all the UK basketball/Alabama football fans. Never ever ever seen so many! Even more than IU basketball/ND football fans. Taken a long time to win fan support for football...I could see why they would fear losing a good coach and another generation of potential fans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They've been nervous for a few years now. I'm not saying he is the next Urban Meyer or anything but I had to watch a LOT of SEC football living in Kentucky for the many years I did. He did a really good job there building up the program. He has recruited well and most importantly his players have improved and tend to get better. Some of his game management etc over the years I think have been questioned but not so much his ability to improve kids and work with them. I'd say given the talent he would do a good job in a bigger program.

The most irritating thing about living in Kentucky was all the UK basketball/Alabama football fans. Never ever ever seen so many! Even more than IU basketball/ND football fans. Taken a long time to win fan support for football...I could see why they would fear losing a good coach and another generation of potential fans.

I agree with everything you said in the 1st paragraph.  As for 2nd one, I will have to take your word on it.

Yeah, Stoops has the UK program humming along.  Very impressive.  

• Like 1

Stoops has done very well, but his family ties to Ohio have definitely helped recruiting.  His base is Ohio, Kentucky,  Tennessee, and Georgia.  Not sure that or his personality translate to LA.  

My wife is a UK grad and from Kentucky,  so I've been watching their games for 20 years now.  Stoops has had more longevity, but  Brooks was the coach that really made UK competitive.  The Andre Woodson, Randall Cobb, Wesley Woodyard teams could play with anybody. They are solid now, but not sure they have the horses to take down a top ten team like they did under Brooks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Stoops has done very well, but his family ties to Ohio have definitely helped recruiting.  His base is Ohio, Kentucky,  Tennessee, and Georgia.  Not sure that or his personality translate to LA.  

My wife is a UK grad and from Kentucky,  so I've been watching their games for 20 years now.  Stoops has had more longevity, but  Brooks was the coach that really made UK competitive.  The Andre Woodson, Randall Cobb, Wesley Woodyard teams could play with anybody. They are solid now, but not sure they have the horses to take down a top ten team like they did under Brooks.

I think they had some good years...but honestly he never had a winning record in the SEC a single season. They were getting better but obviously it was late in his career. But overall....I mean 39-47 and 16-39 in the SEC....that ain't awesome. Stoops had a 10 win season to his name and a much better record (although not magically good). 5 consecutive bowl games...wins over Florida and Tennessee in recent years. Pretty dang tough no matter what in the SEC. Joker was a failure before him so it isn't like he had much to build off of either. I mean he had a top 10 pick in Josh Allen and that defense that year was pretty darn good. Anyways...getting a little queasy talking about UK so I'll stop there lol. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think they had some good years...but honestly he never had a winning record in the SEC a single season. They were getting better but obviously it was late in his career. But overall....I mean 39-47 and 16-39 in the SEC....that ain't awesome. Stoops had a 10 win season to his name and a much better record (although not magically good). 5 consecutive bowl games...wins over Florida and Tennessee in recent years. Pretty dang tough no matter what in the SEC. Joker was a failure before him so it isn't like he had much to build off of either. I mean he had a top 10 pick in Josh Allen and that defense that year was pretty darn good. Anyways...getting a little queasy talking about UK so I'll stop there lol. 

Good points. Putting up with UK and defending them are two different things.  Go Hoosiers!!

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but rumor has it USC is targeting Eric Bieniemy (KC Chiefs OC) for HC. If he does take the job, I hope he doesn't try and poach Delland McCoullugh to return back to USC...maybe make him an OC.

With all his boys coming to Bloomington, i doubt this is a possibility but could be a viable concern.

12 minutes ago, PAHoosier said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but rumor has it USC is targeting Eric Bieniemy (KC Chiefs OC) for HC. If he does take the job, I hope he doesn't try and poach Delland McCoullugh to return back to USC...maybe make him an OC.

With all his boys coming to Bloomington, i doubt this is a possibility but could be a viable concern.

My first thought but I think we are safe. That's who I would target if I'm USC. He checks all the boxes...from SoCal....pro resume,etc....makes sense for sure.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

Living in E'ville, there are a lot of pUKe bball fans. Even our "local" TV stations report on pUKe, IU barely gets any mention.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Living in E'ville, there are a lot of pUKe bball fans. Even our "local" TV stations report on pUKe, IU barely gets any mention.

Yep...worst thing about living in Evansville. I loved the city, the people, that part of the state but it was all UK all the time....heck barely even find an IU shirt in the local sporting goods store. Hopefully we have see Woody help us take back over the state.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yep...worst thing about living in Evansville. I loved the city, the people, that part of the state but it was all UK all the time....heck barely even find an IU shirt in the local sporting goods store. Hopefully we have see Woody help us take back over the state.

I agree.

I remember the good ol' days when one of the stations would play the Bob Knight show (sigh), I miss those days..... Heck, even the Tennessee Titans get more play than the Colts!!

• Like 1