National Scene 2021(Not BIG)

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Let's assume Georgia beats Bama.  At that point we have a 2 loss Tide and a 2 loss Buckeye team.  Georgia and Michigan should not be required to beat them again.

Cincy probably isn't as good as the Buckeyes, but who is to say they wouldn't beat Michigan and Georgia to win it all.  The Buckeyes and Tide would have had their chance and failed.

1. UGA

2. Michigan

3. Bama

4. OSU 

If Bama and UGA is close. 

1. UGA 

2. Michigan

3. OSU

4. OK ST 

If Bama gets thumped. Again if we're trying to get the 4 best teams. I don't see any reason to have Cincinnati or ND in a 4 team playoff. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1. UGA

2. Michigan

3. Bama

4. OSU 

If Bama and UGA is close. 

1. UGA 

2. Michigan

3. OSU

4. OK ST 

If Bama gets thumped. Again if we're trying to get the 4 best teams. I don't see any reason to have Cincinnati or ND in a 4 team playoff. 

That's the thing.  A 2 loss Bama team has already proven they are not the best.  Other than the 'eye test', what's to say Cincy or Oklahoma State aren't.  Don't get me wrong, I think Bama beats Cincy 9 out of 10 times.  But, the Tide have nothing more to prove.  We know who they are and who they are is not good enough.  Cincy is still somewhat of an unknown because of their schedule.  And, an argument could be made that a 1 loss Oklahoma State team might be playing better than Bama now. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's the thing.  A 2 loss Bama team has already proven they are not the best.  Other than the 'eye test', what's to say Cincy or Oklahoma State aren't.  Don't get me wrong, I think Bama beats Cincy 9 out of 10 times.  But, the Tide have nothing more to prove.  We know who they are and who they are is not good enough.  Cincy is still somewhat of an unknown because of their schedule.  And, an argument could be made that a 1 loss Oklahoma State team might be playing better than Bama now. 

They're both playing better than Cinci... because they're a lot better. I don't see any reason to have Cinci in a F4. 

• Like 1

I guess I don't agree that it should be a process of elimination... 

What has Cinci and ND done? Clearly Cinci is well ahead of ND or should be in the eyes of the committee, but what have those teams done to show they SHOULD be in... 

OSU losing to the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country, on the road, in a rivalry game doesn't mean Cinci or ND belongs in. 

OSU walked through B1G competition better than Cinci did American competition. 

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

So, we're back to playoff expansion in order for non power 5 schools to get in?  Or is the club still closed to them even with expansion?

Idc if a non power 5 school ever gets in lol 

But I've said the whole time-- go to 8... 5 power 5 Champs get in, 2 at larges 1 group of non power 5. 

That would look like 

1- UGA (SEC Champ) 

2- Michigan (B1G)

3- Bama (at large)

4- Cinci (non power 5) 

5- OSU (at large)

6- OKST (B12) 

7- Oregon (Pac12) 

8- Wake (ACC) 

I like the looks of that a lot. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idc if a non power 5 school ever gets in lol 

But I've said the whole time-- go to 8... 5 power 5 Champs get in, 2 at larges 1 group of non power 5. 

That would look like 

1- UGA (SEC Champ) 

2- Michigan (B1G)

3- Bama (at large)

4- Cinci (non power 5) 

5- OSU (at large)

6- OKST (B12) 

7- Oregon (Pac12) 

8- Wake (ACC) 

I like the looks of that a lot. 

I agree with going to 8 teams, it needs to happen!

I'm a Bama (Saban) fan.  This just isn't our year. Nick will make plenty changes once season ends.  New OC for sure, possibly DC as well....  the right side of the oline is a serious issue as well as the secondary.  In my opinion the strength and conditioning coaches need to be ran out of Tuscaloosa.  Cochran left for Georgia 2 yrs ago, its no coincidence they are monsters on both sides of the ball... we got the dude from IU and it is not working in the SEC.

Georgia stomps our ass by 20+

If Cincy beats Houston next week and still does not get in, we may as well go back to the BCS Championship game only.  Goergia vs Michigan.  Letting OSU and Bama in would essentially render yesterday's game in the Big House and the SEC Championship game (assuming Bama loses) as meaningless.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Cincy beats Houston next week and still does not get in, we may as well go back to the BCS Championship game only.  Goergia vs Michigan.  Letting OSU and Bama in would essentially render yesterday's game in the Big House and the SEC Championship game (assuming Bama loses) as meaningless.  

I don’t disagree with your point about the SEC title game and yesterday's OSU-Mich game. I get that point. 

But at the same time, Cincy hasn't played a single ranked team in their conference schedule. I understand it's essentially boxing out the non-Power 5 teams, but no chance Cincy would even be in this conversation if they played in the Big Ten East and had to play OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, etc. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t disagree with your point about the SEC title game and yesterday's OSU-Mich game. I get that point. 

But at the same time, Cincy hasn't played a single ranked team in their conference schedule. I understand it's essentially boxing out the non-Power 5 teams, but no chance Cincy would even be in this conversation if they played in the Big Ten East and had to play OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, etc. 

I even said above that Cincy is likely not as good as OSU.  But, at the same time, Georgia and Michigan should not have to beat the same team again if there are other worthy candidates out there.  If Cincy and Okie State win next week, they make a compelling argument that they should get their chance.  The other two had that chance and would have failed.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

Let's look at it this way.  If Michigan would have lost yesterday, they would have received ZERO consideration as a two loss team.  Why should OSU?  Are we falling back on preseason expectations or perception versus on the field performance? 

So, Cincy hasn't proven they can beat top competition, but the top competition hasn't proven they can beat Cincy either.  We may believe that OSU would beat Cincy, but many of us believed OSU was going to beat Michigan as well.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I even said above that Cincy is likely not as good as OSU.  But, at the same time, Georgia and Michigan should not have to beat the same team again if there are other worth candidates out there.  If Cincy and Okie State win next week, they make a compelling argument that they should get their chance.  The other two had that chance and would have failed.  

Agree on 2 loss teams. I just can't support Cincy over a 1-loss Power 5 school or Notre Dame. 

19 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Looks like Lincoln Riley is headed to USC.

I think that OK job may be a tough sell to a higher profile coach. Could OK look like Nebraska in ten years? Losing Riley right before heading to the SEC could be a tough road ahead.

Obviously Lincoln didn't want any part of the SEC.  Turned down a supposed 12 million a year offer from LSU, then runs off to the west coast. He recruited very well at OU, I'm not sure it will change that much being in Cali

• Like 1