DIY projects-2021

rico

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

For me personally I have to disagree.  I can't imagine not having our pool. On top of that my wife works for the schools so she is off all summer and she does everything with the pool. My job is to open it in the spring, buy the chemical and close it in the fall. 

We literally built our new house where the old pool used to sit (behind the old house).  There was no hesitation to get rid of it and no thought to put a new one in.  By that time, our daughter was in high school and had lost interest in a pool so all we were doing was cleaning it and maybe swimming 3-4 times a summer.  Had it for 17 years...that was enough for me to be thoroughly sick of it and for no one else to raise any objection.

• Like 1

I can't say having a pontoon is too much hassle. Only maintenance is running out for gas once a month since there is none on the lake. Call for pickup at the end of the year and they winterize, store, and bring back out in the spring.  Been lucky with that one I guess. Jet skis are another animal. Have replaced a few engines and they suck up the gas so you are constantly refilling and running out to the gas station. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Reacher said:

I can't say having a pontoon is too much hassle. Only maintenance is running out for gas once a month since there is none on the lake. Call for pickup at the end of the year and they winterize, store, and bring back out in the spring.  Been lucky with that one I guess. Jet skis are another animal. Have replaced a few engines and they suck up the gas so you are constantly refilling and running out to the gas station. 

Unbelievably, I know a helluva lot of people that do not winterize nor store their boats properly.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just a mini-project for today. 

FABB7B0F-91CC-4960-8A89-B216BCCEC2DB.jpeg

The kids are constantly leaving the light in the basement bathroom on, so (to quote Tim Allen).....I rewired it. 

Hooked the fan and the light to a Lutron motion sensor which is on a 5 minute timer. And since I had to plug the hole where the separate fan switch used to be, an auto-on night light. 

It's not a smart switch or anything (didn't see the need), but the convenience will be worth it. 

Edit: And as is my personal policy, it went back together with a screwless switchplate cover. My wife says I'm mildly obsessed with switches and outlets, and she's probably right, but I like how much cleaner they look. 

• Like 4

On 7/10/2021 at 9:39 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Just a mini-project for today. 

FABB7B0F-91CC-4960-8A89-B216BCCEC2DB.jpeg

The kids are constantly leaving the light in the basement bathroom on, so (to quote Tim Allen).....I rewired it. 

Hooked the fan and the light to a Lutron motion sensor which is on a 5 minute timer. And since I had to plug the hole where the separate fan switch used to be, an auto-on night light. 

It's not a smart switch or anything (didn't see the need), but the convenience will be worth it. 

Edit: And as is my personal policy, it went back together with a screwless switchplate cover. My wife says I'm mildly obsessed with switches and outlets, and she's probably right, but I like how much cleaner they look. 

Looks good. I have a few of the screwless switchplates but my obsession stops with making sure the screw heads are all horizontal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

That looks like something that I (at a younger age of course) would hang a 50 horse on, and scream up and down the river with just the prop in the water ! 

LOL.  I don't think so!  That ole girl has a flat bottom in her.  V-front, flat bottom.  

For the forum members...

When you see a new @rico boat project, which song goes through your mind?

A) Sailing by Christopher Cross 

B) Brandy by Looking Glass 

C) Ride Captain, Ride by Blues Image 

D) I'm Gonna Miss Her by Brad Paisley 

😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For the forum members...

😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For the forum members...

😁

I thought Ride Captain was a Blood Sweat and Tears song? I’m going with their version as I’m sure @rico is giving some up.

• Like 2