DIY projects-2021

rico

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For the forum members...

When you see a new @rico boat project, which song goes through your mind?

A) Sailing by Christopher Cross 

B) Brandy by Looking Glass 

C) Ride Captain, Ride by Blues Image 

D) I'm Gonna Miss Her by Brad Paisley 

😁

I picture it with a 250HP Evinrude clamped to the back and “Flirting With Disaster” playing in the background. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

I picture it with a 250HP Evinrude clamped to the back and “Flirting With Disaster” playing in the background. 

That truly made me laugh...back in the early 80s I had a neighbor that put a Chevy 396 inboard on a 15 foot skiing boat...took it out on Lake Carlisle and talked me into taking a ride...70 mph on a boat with a maniac at the controls is not fun...he'd get it going top speed then spin the wheel and you'd basically skip sideways til you started going forward again... sheer terror...he flipped it later that day when he was alone...only a cut foot from hitting the dashboard as it threw him clear...

Flirtin' With Disaster indeed...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That truly made me laugh...back in the early 80s I had a neighbor that put a Chevy 396 inboard on a 15 foot skiing boat...took it out on Lake Carlisle and talked me into taking a ride...70 mph on a boat with a maniac at the controls is not fun...he'd get it going top speed then spin the wheel and you'd basically skip sideways til you started going forward again... sheer terror...he flipped it later that day when he was alone...only a cut foot from hitting the dashboard as it threw him clear...

Flirtin' With Disaster indeed...

Any alcohol involved?

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

For the forum members...

When you see a new @rico boat project, which song goes through your mind?

A) Sailing by Christopher Cross 

B) Brandy by Looking Glass 

C) Ride Captain, Ride by Blues Image 

D) I'm Gonna Miss Her by Brad Paisley 

😁

with a Transom board that small.

F) Row Row Row your boat .

Needs MO POWER ! arh arh arh.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

This got me thinking maybe we should start a thread with a song title or lyrics that go with a poster. All in good fun. Like @IU Scott would be Grandpa tell em  bout the good ole  days-The Judds 

@dbmhoosier Hollerback girl (this sh@# is Bananas) No doubt :nansplit:

I knew the guy, Jamie O'Hara, who wrote that song.  He played football at IU from '68-'72.  He died in January of this year.  He also was half of the O'Kanes.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

If anyone tried mounting a 250HP outboard to that boat, I’d assume massive quantities of alcohol would be involved. We’re actually into more hallucinogen territory. 

Slight thread jack, but it was an early DIY project...

Imagine, if you will. Me a 14 yr old ambitious farm boy, A motorcycle, 30' rope connected to my 9 yr old little brother setting on one of those Big Wheel peddle toys.

This ended up being a mix of a physics and pshycology learning session. I found out just how scared a 9 yr old can get due to centrifugal force while going around corners at about 25mph. We still laugh about that summer... Well I do anyway, my brother, not so much.   :)

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody out there good with toilets? I can't find the solution to this problem and it's killing me. And I'm going to lose the battle with my wife....who insists on calling a plumber if I don't figure it out soon. 

I have an in-ground sprinkling system and the toilet keeps running whenever it's on. Even if the sprinklers shut off, the toilet will continue to run until we shut the water valve off for a second and turn it back on. 

I replaced the flapper a few months ago and there are no leaks. 

That said, even when the sprinklers aren't on and the toilet shuts off, I've noticed something peculiar. The float comes up, but the water keeps running until it fills up the overflow tube. When it eventually stops the water level is up to the tip of the overflow tube. I checked other toilets in my house and the water level is a 1/2" below the overflow tube. 

Again, the float is up. I even adjusted it to come up sooner. I don't believe this is a float issue. 

Another note, this problem started when the neighborhood had a sudden drop in water pressure caused by a leaking pipe. 

Any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody out there good with toilets? I can't find the solution to this problem and it's killing me. And I'm going to lose the battle with my wife....who insists on calling a plumber if I don't figure it out soon. 

I have an in-ground sprinkling system and the toilet keeps running whenever it's on. Even if the sprinklers shut off, the toilet will continue to run until we shut the water valve off for a second and turn it back on. 

That said, even when the sprinklers aren't on and the toilet shuts off, I've noticed something peculiar. The float comes up, but the water keeps running until it fills up the overflow tube. When it eventually stops the water level is up to the tip of the overflow tube. I checked other toilets in my house and the water level is a 1/2" below the overflow tube. 

Again, the float is up. I even adjusted it to come up sooner. I don't believe this is a float issue. 

Another note, this problem started when the neighborhood had a sudden drop in water pressure caused by a leaking pipe. 

Any ideas? 

I think you may have adjusted the float too high. Try lowering it. 

Did you adjust it when the water pressure dropped?

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Any ideas? 

The water level should be below the top of the tube. If it is coming up that high, it would seem to be a flapper issue. I once got so frustrated trying to adjust mine, I just bought a new kit and replaced everything inside the tank.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think you may have adjusted the float too high. Try lowering it. 

Did you adjust it when the water pressure dropped?

Thanks for the reply. I'm moved the water float all around and no dice. It was at the same adjustment before and after the pressure drop. I didn't start messing with it until I realized the problem was only happening when the sprinklers were on. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm moved the water float all around and no dice. It was at the same adjustment before and after the pressure drop. I didn't start messing with it until I realized the problem was only happening when the sprinklers were on. 

Definitely and odd problem.  Nothing is ever easy it seems. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I would have to think that it happening while the sprinklers are on, is just a coincidence. The only correlation that I could possibly think of, is the water pressure in the whole system drops with the volume being used by the sprinklers causing the valve in the fill mechanism to not seal off. BUT I would think it would actually be opposite of this, unless the fill mechanism uses supply water pressure as a pilot for the shut off valve, which I think would be very complex for a dad gum commode fill mechanism. 

I'd go spend $10 and put a new fill mechanism in it. 

And I am surprised that no one has suggested.... Just giggle the handle! or is that not a joke anymore?  

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I would have to think that it happening while the sprinklers are on, is just a coincidence. The only correlation that I could possibly think of, is the water pressure in the whole system drops with the volume being used by the sprinklers causing the valve in the fill mechanism to not seal off. BUT I would think it would actually be opposite of this, unless the fill mechanism uses supply water pressure as a pilot for the shut off valve, which I think would be very complex for a dad gum commode fill mechanism. 

I'd go spend $10 and put a new fill mechanism in it. 

And I am surprised that no one has suggested.... Just giggle the handle! or is that not a joke anymore?  

yeah...going to try this and hopefully it fixes something. Now, I have to find the damn part. I apparently have a special toilet (Gerber) and parts are hard to come by. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Edited by tdhoosier

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

yeah...going to try this and hopefully it fixes something. Now, I have to find the damn part. I apparently have a special toilet (Gerber) and parts are hard to come by. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Well There are only 2 parts. The flapper and the fill valve. You got this man and we are all pulling for you. The men's team need to pull out the win!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1