DIY projects-2021

rico

Work in progress. Shoe storage/backpack stashing spot for the kids in our entryway. Hopefully will have it at least in primer tomorrow. 

The interesting design twist: the storage box looks built in, but is removable should the need arise. It’s designed like a base cabinet, and is held in place with a French cleat. To help keep the look seamless, the bottom horizonal piece of molding is joined into the storage box. 

A625DBEF-5115-47E1-8479-71020FD19042.jpeg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Work in progress. Shoe storage/backpack stashing spot for the kids in our entryway. Hopefully will have it at least in primer tomorrow. 

The interesting design twist: the storage box looks built in, but is removable should the need arise. It’s designed like a base cabinet, and is held in place with a French cleat. To help keep the look seamless, the bottom horizonal piece of molding is joined into the storage box. 

A625DBEF-5115-47E1-8479-71020FD19042.jpeg

Y'all must be little.  Squeezing through a half open door would give me an anxiety attack. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Looks good though. You are quite the handyman. 

I do fine myself but am a much better repair man. Specifically mechanical work. 

Danke.  I handle that as well, like the relocation of the power outlet that’s now contained inside that box…lol. 

Only thing I don’t touch is roofing. Heights in general don’t bother me. I can look out an airplane window or my 12th floor office window no problem. Sheer heights, like climbing an extension ladder or looking over the edge of a roof….yeah, different story. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Danke.  I handle that as well, like the relocation of the power outlet that’s now contained inside that box…lol. 

Only thing I don’t touch is roofing. Heights in general don’t bother me. I can look out an airplane window or my 12th floor office window no problem. Sheer heights, like climbing an extension ladder or looking over the edge of a roof….yeah, different story. 

I'm weird about heights, and I for some reason like roofing, wtf right. 

I can sit 20+ feet up in a tree stand. Jump from a 30 ft cliff into a river. 

I can do roofing as long as it's a 10 pitch or below. 

I don't do ladders. I can barely do a 2 step step stool. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm weird about heights, and I for some reason like roofing, wtf right. 

I can sit 20+ feet up in a tree stand. Jump from a 30 ft cliff into a river. 

I can do roofing as long as it's a 10 pitch or below. 

I don't do ladders. I can barely do a 2 step step stool. 

I’m weird with ladders also. So long as it’s a standard (v shaped) ladder, it could be 30 feet and I’d be fine. Extension ladder….yeah, 5 feet, max. Hate those damn things. 

Ive had a few very close calls with A frame ladders sweeping out on me(my gault being too high).  Extension ladders feel rickidy but they are posted if you have the forces right.  

Has anyone tried the mighty giant or those extension ladders that collapse into themselves?  Thinking i can fo away with 2 or 3 ladders and merge to one.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Extension ladders make me think of Clark Griswold.  Hard no. Just can't do it. 

So here's my limb cutting adventure from a few weeks back...you can see in the upper right where I cut and the extension ladder on the left...cut with a chain saw, one handed....

My wife took the pics to show our kids that their father had a screw loose...

Screenshot_20210926-082733.thumb.png.6760d0f197b88823a8c0f2cb4a0e0707.png

And you can see where the limb fell here...

Screenshot_20210926-083118.thumb.png.bb386dbc9d34c8808e760dc9fec3c83b.png

I know...dumb...but it was buggin' me...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ive had a few very close calls with A frame ladders sweeping out on me(my gault being too high).  Extension ladders feel rickidy but they are posted if you have the forces right.  

Has anyone tried the mighty giant or those extension ladders that collapse into themselves?  Thinking i can fo away with 2 or 3 ladders and merge to one.

Those little Giant, Werner foldable ladders are the best thing since sliced bread! My dad bought me a 12' for christmas about 15 yrs ago, best gift I've ever gotten. I know have 3 different sizes. The little 4' is the absolute bomb for all of those little projects.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So here's my limb cutting adventure from a few weeks back...you can see in the upper right where I cut and the extension ladder on the left...cut with a chain saw, one handed....

Hey, calculated risk and you won.  

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hey, calculated risk and you won.  

I did try to strategically place the ladder...that limb was hanging over my garage roof (which is just out of the right side of the pic) and making cleaning the gutters a weekly thing,so off it came...I thought the heavy end would simply slide down and hit the ground first...what I didn't count on was it flipping back toward the ladder...

My wife rarely curses, but she came out just as I got through the limb, and she dropped an F bomb...had to laugh at that...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Got one.  Very nice but pretty heavy.  I still keep a smaller stepladder to use for most tasks.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I did try to strategically place the ladder...that limb was hanging over my garage roof (which is just out of the right side of the pic) and making cleaning the gutters a weekly thing,so off it came...I thought the heavy end would simply slide down and hit the ground first...what I didn't count on was it flipping back toward the ladder...

My wife rarely curses, but she came out just as I got through the limb, and she dropped an F bomb...had to laugh at that...

We had a tree rescue last spring at the firehouse with a guy doing exactly that.  Limb was probably 2-3 times larger and swung back on him, he grabbed the tree and wound up pinning his arm between the tree and ladder as it shifted.  

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We had a tree rescue last spring at the firehouse with a guy doing exactly that.  Limb was probably 2-3 times larger and swung back on him, he grabbed the tree and wound up pinning his arm between the tree and ladder as it shifted.  

Funny you should say that...

There's a ballpark down the road from my house that the Splendora FD goes to for training I guess...as I was climbing the ladder, they stopped by my pasture fence...

Probably saying "Look at dummy. Well, let's not make a second trip out here if we don't have to." 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's a ballpark down the road from my house that the Splendora FD goes to for training I guess...as I was climbing the ladder, they stopped by my pasture fence...

Probably saying "Look at dummy. Well, let's not make a second trip out here if we don't have to." 

Exactly.  They probably said, we'll be back.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Fire fighters have a dry sense of humor. Someone in the truck said "Wait for it, Waaaait for it".. :) 

• Haha 3

On 9/26/2021 at 8:33 AM, IUFLA said:

Been there, done that!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:33 AM, IUFLA said:

I remember that from my algebra teacher. The length of the ladder is 24 feet long and the base of the ladder is 12 Feet from the base of the tree. The question is how many bones will the dummy break when he falls from the top of the ladder? Bonus question How high up on the tree is said dummy?

• Haha 3