DIY projects-2021

rico

Don't know where else to put this. 

Among a shitload of other things outside of school. 

From 7th grade to Senior year, we had classes that taught us how cook, sew, woodshop, metal work, I took electives in welding, woodworking, ect.

Does that even exist anymore?

My welding teacher, Mr. Allison taught me so well I spent my senior year spring break restoring my grandpa's fishing boat as a bday present.  @rico can appreciate that. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

From 7th grade to Senior year, we had classes that taught us how cook, sew, woodshop, metal work, I took electives in welding, woodworking, ect.

My welding teacher, Mr. Allison taught me so well I spent my senior year spring break restoring my grandpa's fishing boat as a bday present.  @rico can appreciate that. 

My daughter is a sophomore in all honors classes. She needs all the above you mentioned. She brings home this ridiculous math and I'm like you can't even balance a checkbook, sign your name in cursive or even make change but you can do this crap. Lol  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW75 said:

My daughter is a sophomore in all honors classes. She needs all the above you mentioned. She brings home this ridiculous math and I'm like you can't even balance a checkbook, sign your name in cursive or even make change but you can do this crap. Lol  

Common core math?  

If so, our infrastructure is going to suffer in the future.

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Common core math?  

If so, our infrastructure is going to suffer in the future.

Kings built tombs more splendid than the houses of the living and counted the names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars. And so the kingdom sank into ruin, the line of kings failed, the white tree withered and rule was given over to lesser men.”

JRR Tolkien

Starting to sound uncomfortably familiar, isn’t it? 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kings built tombs more splendid than the houses of the living and counted the names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars. And so the kingdom sank into ruin, the line of kings failed, the white tree withered and rule was given over to lesser men.”

JRR Tolkien

Starting to sound uncomfortably familiar, isn’t it? 

We are being RULED unwillingly by mental midgets. That's the nicest politically correct way I can say it.

If I had it my way I'd fix it at 3200 fps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

A lot of the "small" schools around me did away with "vocational" classes.  My alma mater just got them back up and running a few years back.

https://whitkocareeracademy.org/

Edited by rico
  • Like 2

In all seriousness though, this is why it's important to be active in local elections and vote. 

I've made it a point to know and understand candidates positions in the school board elections, even though my kids have long since graduated. 

Voting from ignorance can be as damaging as not voting at all...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

A lot of the "small" schools around me did away with "vocational" classes.  My alma mater just got them back up and running a few years back.

https://whitkocareeracademy.org/

If there is a bright side, due to the shortage, it’s going to be possible for the current generation of kids to earn a pretty decent living though a skilled trade….provided there’s enough training.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

If there is a bright side, due to the shortage, it’s going to be possible for the current generation of kids to earn a pretty decent living though a skilled trade….provided there’s enough training.  

Skilled "trades" is where the job market really is today...jmo.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rico said:

That's true, but down here at least, there's always a choice between "qualified" people (licensed, bonded) or the cheap way out...

One of my neighbors took the cheap way out on painting the exterior of his house, and he pretty much got what he paid for (by his own admission)...

Edited by IUFLA

8 hours ago, rico said:

My neighbor has a small commercial HVAC business. He says with today’s candidates, he’s happy to find someone “semi-skilled”, meaning they have a double digit IQ, a pulse and know the difference between a Phillips and slotted screwdriver without asking Siri. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's true, but down here at least, there's always a choice between "qualified" people (licensed, bonded) or the cheap way out...

One of my neighbors took the cheap way out on painting the exterior of his house, and he pretty much got what he paid for (by his own admission)...

It’s a crapshoot. I had some concrete work done earlier this year. My wife found the guy on Facebook Marketplace. Turns out, he’s a union laborer that primarily pours concrete anyway, and just picks up side gigs when he has the time. Was a good 20% cheaper than any other quote we had, and did a competent enough job.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My neighbor has a small commercial HVAC business. He says with today’s candidates, he’s happy to find someone “semi-skilled”, meaning they have a double digit IQ, a pulse and know the difference between a Phillips and slotted screwdriver without asking Siri. 

He must need someone to fetch tools and do the heavy lifting because from just the work I've done on my home unit having things properly installed isn't so simple. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

He must need someone to fetch tools and do the heavy lifting because from just the work I've done on my home unit having things properly installed isn't so simple. 

Well, that was the source of the sarcasm. There’s nobody relatively skilled on the job market, so you take the scraps that you find. 

• Like 1

Well, another coat of primer, 320 grit scuff sand, and two coats of paint later…it’s close. Just need to connect the hinges on the lid, paint the lid and install the hooks. 
138F21D0-C45D-4224-A2DD-A28A657D5FFE.jpeg

Edit: Took a wider shot this time to show spatial relationship to the front door. 

Edit 2: And yes, swapped the standard switch to the rocker style with a screwless cover, since this is now a “finished” area. Like I said earlier in this thread, it’s my weird fixation….lol. :coffee: 

• Like 3

Almost forgot…there was (of course) an outlet on that wall right where the 2nd vertical piece of molding is. So I could either interrupt my molding run, or….

3FB9F8BC-8FE0-46E4-B972-15A0BB3AD56D.jpeg

….get creative. I relocated the outlet about a foot to the left, and have a box extender running through the back of the storage box, so that the outlet is mounted directly into the back. And then this little beauty is flush mounted into the side and plugs in to said outlet. It’s actually one meant to be mounted flush into a desk/conference table, but serves this purpose just fine. 

Edit: And yes, on the top corner of the hole for the power strip, I took about a 1/4” too much off with the router. But if anyone ever has their head on my floor and wedged into the 20 inch space between this box and my closet door…..they’ve got more issues than me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Almost forgot…there was (of course) an outlet on that wall right where the 2nd vertical piece of molding is. So I could either interrupt my molding run, or….

3FB9F8BC-8FE0-46E4-B972-15A0BB3AD56D.jpeg

….get creative. I relocated the outlet about a foot to the left, and have a box extender running through the back of the storage box, so that the outlet is mounted directly into the back. And then this little beauty is flush mounted into the side and plugs in to said outlet. It’s actually one meant to be mounted flush into a desk/conference table, but serves this purpose just fine. 

Edit: And yes, on the top corner of the hole for the power strip, I took about a 1/4” too much off with the router. But if anyone ever has their head on my floor and wedged into the 20 inch space between this box and my closet door…..they’ve got more issues than me. 

It's driving me nuts. Fix it. 

Just kidding, looks pretty damn good.  I like it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's driving me nuts. Fix it. 

Don’t tempt me. 😂

I have been known to wet sand molding to get rid of small paint ridges. Nothing insane….just 400-800 grit. Going all the way to 3200 grit would just be obsessive…….I save that for actual furniture, not trim. :coffee: 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Don’t tempt me. 😂

I have been known to wet sand molding to get rid of small paint ridges. Nothing insane….just 400-800 grit. Going all the way to 3200 grit would just be obsessive…….I save that for actual furniture, not trim. :coffee: 

If you saw my house right now you would shoot yourself.  It's under "construction" .

For every project I finish I have 3 more say hello.

Thank God I have the time and money to fix it all. 

It's been a hell of a year and the last 3 months have slowed me down because of my physical condition.  

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If you saw my house right now you would shoot yourself.  It's under "construction" .

For every project I finish I have 3 more say hello.

Thank God I have the time and money to fix it all. 

It's been a hell of a year and the last 3 months have slowed me down because of my physical condition.  

Sounds like my garage and utility room. 

And under construction never bothers me. I have the ability to see things in their finished state and look past the current chaos. But my level of obsession/perfectionism has taught me to only have one thing going at a time. 

Now the other person whose name is also on the title to this house…..much different story. 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Sounds like my garage and utility room. 

And under construction never bothers me. I have the ability to see things in their finished state and look past the current chaos. But my level of obsession/perfectionism has taught me to only have one thing going at a time. 

Now the other person whose name is also on the title to this house…..much different story. 🤣

She gives me a hard time everyday.  I can't work fast enough.  Lol.