DIY projects-2021

rico

One of the easier projects we've done. Weight lifting platform. 

Fiancé wants to start power cleaning. I guess at her HS they hardly ever did it? Odd to me. As soon as we got in the weight room in 7th grade we were taught proper power cleaning form. I coach 165lbs kids that power clean over 300lbs. 

Either way... simple, effective.. and she won't be doing a ton of weight so it's going to work well. 

Snapchat-542704896.jpg

Snapchat-1627342274.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/5/2021 at 8:11 AM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I built my house and moved in in May of 15'. Upon move in I wanted to take a little break.... I wonder when break is over?

Windows not trimmed, Rooms not trimmed, about 15' of soffet not put up and about a million other little things. Since then I've started 5 other projects that are "just short" of being finished... Yep, all because I needed a little break upon 95% completion of anything. And before you ask, yes the wife agrees with this.... EVERYTHING... :)  

Did you build it yourself?  My grandpa on my mom's side built his own house and body shop and ran a successful business his whole life as a high school dropout.  

I'm about to overhaul my house now that I will have the time and money. If I could I would build my own one day. Only thing I would contract out would be plumbing and electrical.  Run the pipes and wires and I will install the fixtures.

This weekend replacing a ceiling fan, overhead light fixture and thinking about installing a GFCI receptacle with built in USB port by the kitchen sink. 

I remodeled a room when I first moved in.  Put in a closet to make it technically a bedroom.

Still pissed they screwed up the drywall.  Pro tip when doing drywall, ceiling is first then walls. That way the ceiling will rest on the wall at the joint. 

My shop teacher in high school taught me alot. Also, my uncle David worked as an independent contractor installing drywall. 

Woof that got windy.😁

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Did you build it yourself?  My grandpa on my mom's side built his own house and body shop and ran a successful business his whole life as a high school dropout.  

I'm about to overhaul my house now that I will have the time and money. If I could I would build my own one day. Only thing I would contract out would be plumbing and electrical.  Run the pipes and wires and I will install the fixtures.

This weekend replacing a ceiling fan, overhead light fixture and thinking about installing a GFCI receptacle with built in USB port by the kitchen sink. 

I remodeled a room when I first moved in.  Put in a closet to make it technically a bedroom.

Still pissed they screwed up the drywall.  Pro tip when doing drywall, ceiling is first then walls. That way the ceiling will rest on the wall at the joint. 

My shop teacher in high school taught me alot. Also, my uncle David worked as an independent contractor installing drywall. 

Woof that got windy.😁

Yes sir, everything from Blueprints to spilling the first cup of coffee in the kitchen, except finishing the concrete. 

With your new schedule you can get yourself into all kinds of messes! That should be fun. What amazes me is with things like You Tube, information on how to do damn near anything is so readily available, the sky is the limit. I think the ease of being able to share real time direction has got a lot of people doing more of their own projects.

And yes, always hang the lid first, or else! lol  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

This weekend thinking about installing a GFCI receptacle with built in USB port by the kitchen sink. 

I did that last month !

I'm thinking about ordering more switches online. They are much cheaper on line than in the big box stores for the same brands.

I had grandiose plans of replacing all my first floor switches with the rocker type. Think I did 5 before laziness got the best of me!

20210311_112125.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I did that last month !

I'm thinking about ordering more switches online. They are much cheaper on line than in the big box stores for the same brands.

I had grandiose plans of replacing all my first floor switches with the rocker type. Think I did 5 before laziness got the best of me!

I'm wanting to replace all of my switches and receptacles with the decorative style. We'll see if it happens.  

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm wanting to replace all of my switches and receptacles with the decorative style. We'll see if it happens.  

I got the colored designer style for the bathroom we redid last year. Those things can get pricey!

20210311_123155.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Put up the "shiplap" on one wall in the main floor half bath. My wife picked it out...I just had to do all the work ha. I actually don't mind doing these types of projects and it keeps her happy! Picture is not too great. I just need to put back the toilet paper holder and touch up some paint.

image0(5).jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Put up the "shiplap" on one wall in the main floor half bath. My wife picked it out...I just had to do all the work ha. I actually don't mind doing these types of projects and it keeps her happy! Picture is not too great. I just need to put back the toilet paper holder and touch up some paint.

image0(5).jpeg

Looks really good

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll say the same thing as I always say with you folks and projects. Really impressive work. I know how to unplug and plug back in. I also feel fortunate because of coupons that a guy came yesterday to put in a new garbage disposal. Took him about 5 minutes. I'm apparently in the wrong line of work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll say the same thing as I always say with you folks and projects. Really impressive work. I know how to unplug and plug back in. I also feel fortunate because of coupons that a guy came yesterday to put in a new garbage disposal. Took him about 5 minutes. I'm apparently in the wrong line of work. 

You do know how to flush a toilet....right?

...asking for the entire board!  LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

image0(5).jpeg

Looks great. Did you use spacers or butt them up against each other?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

image0(5).jpeg

Looks good!
Did you buy actual shiplap or make it yourself?

I’m currently working on (or dragging out) something like this. I’ll post some pictures when it’s done. I’m glad to see how good it looks when it’s finished. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BeerBQ said:

Looks good!
Did you buy actual shiplap or make it yourself?

I’m currently working on (or dragging out) something like this. I’ll post some pictures when it’s done. I’m glad to see how good it looks when it’s finished. 

We bought it. It is a smallish/half bath and it is dark in the room...the pic is not great, but it is a white/gray color and matches vanity top and brightens room up some.  I'm currently working on some open closets/shelving areas to give it more of a custom look. Like I mentioned before....I hate painting, but I don't mind doing projects like this or flooring. I can break out the tools, drink a few beers, and the wife is happy so it is win-win ha.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Looks great. Did you use spacers or butt them up against each other?

I did not use spacers for this project...the boards are rustic in nature, so there are some slight gaps etc which normally I would hate, but with this I was fine...my wife likes it and thinks it looks more "genuine"... It is a rough cut/natural shiplap so we were happy with a rustic look. These ones were not "interlocking" (I prefer they don't interlock)...  the red cedar one I posted previously in the other DIY thread were the "interlocking" type..

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

We bought it. It is a smallish/half bath and it is dark in the room...the pic is not great, but it is a white/gray color and matches vanity top and brightens room up some.  I'm currently working on some open closets/shelving areas to give it more of a custom look. Like I mentioned before....I hate painting, but I don't mind doing projects like this or flooring. I can break out the tools, drink a few beers, and the wife is happy so it is win-win ha.

How did you attach them to the wall? I’m planning to use 18g brads. We’re looking to butt them against each other but have darker browns and reds. 
I bought some sheets of luan plywood to make it all. I routed grooves but realized we’d have some ugly seems. Since then I’ve cut along the grooves and used a router with a trim bit (no table saw) to get clean, parallel edges. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

How did you attach them to the wall? I’m planning to use 18g brads. We’re looking to butt them against each other but have darker browns and reds. 
I bought some sheets of luan plywood to make it all. I routed grooves but realized we’d have some ugly seems. Since then I’ve cut along the grooves and used a router with a trim bit (no table saw) to get clean, parallel edges. 

You seem to be putting more effort and thought into yours than I did ha. I just used 18 guage nails (1.25 inches length). The wood is lighter weight...and 3/8 inch thick...so it is not the heavy duty "real barn wood" that would require securing it better. I will try to dig out a pic of our last house where we redid the fireplace with stone and shiplap...I used the same method for similar weight/sized shiplap and it held up great. You can use adhesive too...but I like my nail gun better 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

*This is an old remodel from our last house about 4.5 years ago*

We redid the fireplace with the stone using adhesive and the shiplap was a similar 3/8 inch thick using the 18 gauge nails 1.25 inch. This one held up great...and it was the "interlocking style" shiplap.

image0(11).jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

*This is an old remodel from our last house about 4.5 years ago*

We redid the fireplace with the stone using adhesive and the shiplap was a similar 3/8 inch thick using the 18 gauge nails 1.25 inch. This one held up great...and it was the "interlocking style" shiplap.

image0(11).jpeg

Love that look.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Love that look.

Thanks. That may have been the best looking project we have done over the years. Our current fireplace is brick up to the ceiling...I am debating doing something off to the sides but not sure yet. Whenever I get around to the main bathrooms I will be calling you to help...I really liked the job you did on yours last year.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Thanks. That may have been the best one we have done over the years. Our current fireplace is brick up to the ceiling...I am debating doing something off to the sides but not sure yet. Whenever I get around to the main bathrooms I will be calling you to help...I really liked the job you did on yours last year.

Thank you. It was not as good as I had hoped. Had a lot of mistakes or at least that's what the wife tells me. The laundry room and a pergola in the back yard are next.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thank you. It was not as good as I had hoped. Had a lot of mistakes or at least that's what the wife tells me. The laundry room and a pergola in the back yard are next.

The pics you posted looked amazing. If anybody notices any mistakes just tell them they are looking too hard! I always have minor mistakes when I finish...I just tell my wife it adds character. Also, I usually notice mistakes when pro contractors do a job for us as well....so I think it is 99% of projects ha.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You seem to be putting more effort and thought into yours than I did ha. I just used 18 guage nails (1.25 inches length). The wood is lighter weight...and 3/8 inch thick...so it is not the heavy duty "real barn wood" that would require securing it better. I will try to dig out a pic of our last house where we redid the fireplace with stone and shiplap...I used the same method for similar weight/sized shiplap and it held up great. You can use adhesive too...but I like my nail gun better 😀

I tend to overthink things so that’s expected. I would’ve made it easier but having the grooves complicated it. 

I think I’ll just use the nail gun with 5/8” brads dice it’s just 1/4” plywood. 

The fireplace looks great!

• Thanks 1