Michigan State Post-Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The third foul on Trayce, which I believe Hummel said was a bad foul by him and put Archie in a tough spot, was a horrendous call. 

TJD was getting boxed out, then Langford came flying in from the side/behind and landed on his back and they call a foul on TJD. I get that Langford has a hard fall, but that was not a foul. 

The charge call, which was his second foul, was also pretty weak...there was almost no contact...

Most of the calls that Aaron Henry drew were awful calls...our guys just standing their with their hands straight up and him lowering his shoulder into the defender...

one of the worst calls was against Phinisee...Langford tried to Eurostep around Rob...Rob was in place stationary and if langford had gone straight into him it would have been an obvious charge, but because he tried to go around him, with Rob not moving at all, its a blocking call? just really poor officiating..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

We can pick apart every aspect of our play, both good and bad, but bottom line. Good teams still play through and rise above bad officiating. We are not even close. We could be, but........

I think you could easily argue that good teams RECEIVE good officiating...or more than that, they receive beneficial officiating...

The difference in the game last night was Izzo tasked his team with coming up with a better game plan and strategy to beat IU and limit Trayce. Archie tasked his team and coaches with just getting his team ready to play. Did we do anything different to stop Aaron Henry? Did we do anything at the end of game to get the ball out of his hands (like run an extra defender at him)? My issue is that we have to spend so much time and energy just to get our guys to give effort and focus (which they did pretty good last night) that we can’t even think about making adjustments or alter our game plan. I saw nothing in the second half of us running Trayce off screens or opening up the floor for Rob to take his man. We give Archie so much credit just for having his guys play hard but that should be a given...we should be at the point in the season when we are adding new wrinkles and making tweaks to the offense and defense and in game adjustments but it feels like we are just trying to keep the team engaged and the effort high. That just isn’t going to cut it.

13 hours ago, KDB said:

It just feels like a change is coming. I don’t see how Archie makes it out of this. 

I really like him, but the product we’ve seen the last 4 years is unacceptable.

I didn’t get on this thread right after the game because it was going to be so negative now that our post season hopes are basically squashed..but did you see his post game interview with reporters? Not sure if others commented but he acted like a guy that expects to get fired. He was like a petulant child answering those questions. Angry and resentful...he didn’t act like a guy that was in firm control of his program. 

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I didn’t get on this thread right after the game because it was going to be so negative now that our post season hopes are basically squashed..but did you see his post game interview with reporters? Not sure if others commented but he acted like a guy that expects to get fired. He was like a petulant child answering those questions. Angry and resentful...he didn’t act like a guy that was in firm control of his program. 

He most certainly didn’t like the Aaron Henry question about missing out on recruiting him and how tough it to see him play so well. Think was the very first question.

19 minutes ago, Ferg 32 said:

He most certainly didn’t like the Aaron Henry question about missing out on recruiting him and how tough it to see him play so well. Think was the very first question.

Yeah didn’t like that one. Should have said we didn’t have Justin Smith to guard him...that was the reason.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Watched the 1st half went to bed with a little bit of hope. At least I watched the first half this time instead of my 600 lb life. Once again I was taught if you have nothing good to say then keep my mouth shut. Thank you for the recap and once again not feeling even a little bad for not watching. I HATE THAT FEELING. I would much rather be ticked off or elated but those emotions with this program are in hibernation. I need something to wake the Bear

You see if people get too upset and too frequently about one thing, I think a human body activates surviving mechanism and basically shuts down the emotion for that specific event. It's natural, and I see the same thing happening to me and a lot of fans here on the board. I used to have a lingering emotional bad effect over a lost game for about a week or until the next win, but guess what. I just laughed yesterday. I told myself 'yeah same ole same ole'. But other side of me felt sadness. 

Like what people say about stock market, everything that goes down and down will eventually hit the rock bottom and go up. And the opposite is true as well. I feel like we're in the middle of the tunnel but we'll eventually see the light. 

Go Hoosiers!

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

The difference in the game last night was Izzo tasked his team with coming up with a better game plan and strategy to beat IU and limit Trayce. Archie tasked his team and coaches with just getting his team ready to play. Did we do anything different to stop Aaron Henry? Did we do anything at the end of game to get the ball out of his hands (like run an extra defender at him)? My issue is that we have to spend so much time and energy just to get our guys to give effort and focus (which they did pretty good last night) that we can’t even think about making adjustments or alter our game plan. I saw nothing in the second half of us running Trayce off screens or opening up the floor for Rob to take his man. We give Archie so much credit just for having his guys play hard but that should be a given...we should be at the point in the season when we are adding new wrinkles and making tweaks to the offense and defense and in game adjustments but it feels like we are just trying to keep the team engaged and the effort high. That just isn’t going to cut it.

This just baffled me. He hit dagger after dagger in the last game, which was probably still fresh in everyone's minds, and you keep letting him get the ball over and over and over and let one guy beat you ... again.

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Maybe.....but still, good teams are SO good, that ANY officiating in general, is a non-factor. JMHO.

I've seen plenty of good teams derailed by bad officiating. 

Every game has three entities that impact the outcome, the two teams and the officiating. 

I've seen bad officiating completely keep average teams in games with good to great teams. 

Officiating is absolutely not a non-factor. There's tons of times in the NCAA Tournament where bad officiating casues a good teams best player to have to sit for almost an entire half and it complete changes the flow of the game. 

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Every game has three entities that impact the outcome, the two teams and the officiating. 

I've seen bad officiating completely keep average teams in games with good to great teams. 

Officiating is absolutely not a non-factor. There's tons of times in the NCAA Tournament where bad officiating casues a good teams best player to have to sit for almost an entire half and it complete changes the flow of the game. 

100%. Foul trouble sitting a star player can easily swing the game in a different direction. It can be as small as 2 bad calls early on the star player and he sits for an extended time. Butterfly effect from there.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah didn’t like that one. Should have said we didn’t have Justin Smith to guard him...that was the reason.

That was tough to watch.  Mike’s question on Henry was not his best question ever...not the type of question that needs to be asked.  It came across as a dig.   But then Archie was very defensive in general.  Being defensive never plays well.  He looks completely beleaguered.   His excuse about playing good teams isn’t going to fly.  And besides, MSU is a lousy team.  That game was there to win, just like a lot of them where Archie just can’t solve it.   

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

still say a team with our record complaining after nearly every game about the calls is a bad look

35 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

still say a team with our record complaining after nearly every game about the calls is a bad look

Meh, the refs absolutely impact the game so why wouldn't we discuss it? I personally though wasn't complaining about the refs other than they were awful and completely made themselves the show last night. Not necessarily in one teams favor, just generally bad. 

21 hours ago, cybergates said:

100%. Foul trouble sitting a star player can easily swing the game in a different direction. It can be as small as 2 bad calls early on the star player and he sits for an extended time. Butterfly effect from there.

Why do professionals get 6 fouls and amateur get only 5? I’m sure someone will say because the game is shorter. It’s a rule change that absolutely needs fixed imo. There are too few stars in ncaa basketball and they need them on the floor for a better product. 

19 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That was tough to watch.  Mike’s question on Henry was not his best question ever...not the type of question that needs to be asked.  It came across as a dig.   But then Archie was very defensive in general.  Being defensive never plays well.  He looks completely beleaguered.   His excuse about playing good teams isn’t going to fly.  And besides, MSU is a lousy team.  That game was there to win, just like a lot of them where Archie just can’t solve it.   

I’ve seen salty coaches before...but usually that is well established coaches who honestly doesn’t need the media on their side. Archie can’t afford this look. Not in recruiting circles and certainly not in the media where he needs to win over support.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why do professionals get 6 fouls and amateur get only 5? I’m sure someone will say because the game is shorter. It’s a rule change that absolutely needs fixed imo. There are too few stars in ncaa basketball and they need them on the floor for a better product. 

NBA probably added it due to longer game and/or wanting to keep stars on the floor (more).

I remember when the Big East had 6 fouls in conference games for awhile back in the day.

I skipped the post game discussion.  

Who did the post game interviews?

I would liked to have seen leadership from Trayce coming out and apologize to his teammates and coaches for lack of leadership and losing his cool, publicly.  Actually, I think it would speak to staff holding him accountable, which imo hasn't been done with the supposed stars.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I skipped the post game discussion.  

Who did the post game interviews?

I would liked to have seen leadership from Trayce coming out and apologize to his teammates and coaches for lack of leadership and losing his cool, publicly.  Actually, I think it would speak to staff holding him accountable, which imo hasn't been done with the supposed stars.  

Archie and Rob...

Archived