Purdue game thread

Reacher

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

LaPhonso Ellis also just said Indiana is running good offense and getting good looks, guys need to make shots. 

We have completely bricked or airballed completely wide open shots. 

Everyone in the country has been saying it for weeks. It's obvious. Between the bunnies we miss down low and 3-32 from 3 range.....just aren't a good shooting team. At all. 

LaPhonso Ellis also just said Indiana is running good offense and getting good looks, guys need to make shots. 

Hummel says it, Ellis says it, I've heard Bardo say it...

Even little dink shots we can't hit...we left a good 8-10 points out there missing bunnies...

Just now, IUguy said:

I know many want to just blame Archie.  He certainly deserves some blame.  But when you recruit shooters like Leal who just forgets how to shoot, and you have guys with experience like Rob who forget how to shoot, I just think some of the blame goes directly to the players.

This! 

It doesn't mean Archie is blameless. It doesn't mean I don't think we need a change. 

But again, these have been incredibly open shots. We're getting way better shots than Purdue. Guys like Durham, Phinisee, Hunter and Leal are bricking and airballing wide open shots. TJD is missing solid looks right at the rim. 

At some point players have to make plays. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

All good points....maybe the dozen or so games I watched Galloway/Leal/Franklin when he was senior were just rare. I saw 3 in state kids knocking down 20 footers routinely. Not so much anymore. Plus if Archie doesn't recruit the in state kids....the guys at the barber shop get ticked.

Tough cycle and catch-22. Go out of state and lose you get fired. Go in state but kids don't deliver and get fired. 

Purdue gets local kids that can shoot. But Painter coaches a style that allows his team to play free and loose. I think IU has capable shooters but have created a situation where they are on their own heads and get down so easily. There is no swag.

1 minute ago, IUguy said:

I know many want to just blame Archie.  He certainly deserves some blame.  But when you recruit shooters like Leal who just forgets how to shoot, and you have guys with experience like Rob who forget how to shoot, I just think some of the blame goes directly to the players.

Archie has no responsibility in screwing then up? First off I thought Leal was an avg shooter for a high level recruit. He used his size and athleticism to dominate HS competition...it’s going to take him a couple years before he is at the level where he will be that kind of player at the B1G level. Same with Galloway. Just not a knock down shooter. Lander too. But we haven’t done anything to improve their shooting. It’s actually gotten worse as the season has gone along.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Some of the gang on here knows more than Hummel. I'll keep saying what I've been saying for weeks. Great looks. Not going in. Simple as that. 

Then recruit players! Who’s that on ! 3 years of poor shooting! Who’s fault is that! AD Administration or Archie’s! Who’s 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hummel calls it again...we went away from the ball screen action

Hummel is a good announcer and commentator. Even though he went to PU I also liked his game, a lot, and felt bad for him that he had so many injury issues. Assume he was a great teammate.

Just now, Feathery said:

Purdue gets local kids that can shoot. But Painter coaches a style that allows his team to play free and loose. I think IU has capable shooters but have created a situation where they are on their own heads and get down so easily. There is no swag.

Completely agree. There's no fight, mental toughness, or enthusiasm with this program. Been that way for 4 years, really 5. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This! 

It doesn't mean Archie is blameless. It doesn't mean I don't think we need a change. 

But again, these have been incredibly open shots. We're getting way better shots than Purdue. Guys like Durham, Phinisee, Hunter and Leal are bricking and airballing wide open shots. TJD is missing solid looks right at the rim. 

At some point players have to make plays. 

Maybe the players want a change too. 

Just now, OLDIUFAN said:

Then recruit players! Who’s that on ! 3 years of poor shooting! Who’s fault is that! AD Administration or Archie’s! Who’s 

If I had $1 for everytime someone on an IU message board has pointed out we need shooters, I could pay the buyout (and would !)

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Don't disagree with that a bit. I also think most can agree 3-32 isn't coaching either. At least I can. 

Edit-3-33...I must have missed one somewhere when I was going to the fridge.

Just now, Feathery said:

Maybe the players want a change too. 

I played for a college program that struggled to win. We were awful my first 3 years and then finally decent my senior year (made our league playoffs my senior year for the first time in 10 years and beat 3 top 25 teams). 

I can't even describe the mental toll it plays on you at the collegiate level. It was brutal and losing and confidence can snowball on you so fast. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But maybe they are open because the defense knows they can't shoot so they are clogging the lane

3 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Okay, so it’s the players fault they suck, not Archie’s.  It’s been the exact same thing for four years straight.  Is there any reason to think it’s going to change?

1 minute ago, Cbp4IU said:

This is the end of Archie. They are getting worse. Fans won’t watch to watch this another year.

Agreed. And they shouldn’t have to. He has 20 mins to turn this team around. Something needs to click...not sure what button needs pushed but Archie needs to find it soon. He is like a virgin trying to find the mythical clitoris. His team just isn’t responding anymore.

Just now, IU Scott said:

But maybe they are open because the defense knows they can't shoot so they are clogging the lane

Doesn't change the fact that guys like Durham, Phinisee, Hunter and Leal, who are D1 basketball players, need to make completely wide open shots.

I played for a college program that struggled to win. We were awful my first 3 years and then finally decent my senior year (made our league playoffs my senior year for the first time in 10 years and beat 3 top 25 teams). 

I can't even describe the mental toll it plays on you at the collegiate level. It was brutal and losing and confidence can snowball on you so fast. 

Especially this year when the kids don't get to enjoy the benefits of being a hoops player in Bloomington. Kids might just be done as well. 

Archived