Purdue game thread

Reacher

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Okay, so it’s the players fault they suck, not Archie’s.  It’s been the exact same thing for four years straight.  Is there any reason to think it’s going to change?

Just because some of us are blaming the players for missing completely wide open shots, doesn't mean we all think Archie is blameless. 

The players absolutely deserve some blame. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I played for a college program that struggled to win. We were awful my first 3 years and then finally decent my senior year (made our league playoffs my senior year for the first time in 10 years and beat 3 top 25 teams). 

I can't even describe the mental toll it plays on you at the collegiate level. It was brutal and losing and confidence can snowball on you so fast. 

Yeah this team looks like the team did during that 11-12 game losing streak. Maybe all the OT loses finally broke our back!

8 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I know many want to just blame Archie.  He certainly deserves some blame.  But when you recruit shooters like Leal who just forgets how to shoot, and you have guys with experience like Rob who forget how to shoot, I just think some of the blame goes directly to the players.

I put more of the blame on the players when they have random games where they can’t hit the side of a barn.
I put much more blame on the coaches, however, when it is a continuous 4 year pattern involving multiple games and players. Who knows why our shooting has stunk year after year, and teams know they can give us wide open perimeter shots, but whatever the reason things aren’t working and the buck stops at the top.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. And they shouldn’t have to. He has 20 mins to turn this team around. Something needs to click...not sure what button needs pushed but Archie needs to find it soon. He is like a virgin trying to find the mythical clitoris. His team just isn’t responding anymore.

Mark down 3:05 3/6/21 as the moment I’ve finally read it all on IU message boards. 😂

Nice kid, but when I think of Al Durham, the most emblematic detail about his career is the O-fer against Purdue. If you want to drive yourself crazy, play back the games, including when RMK was here, and look at his southern, Georgian half speed approach relative to the Purdue guys, who know they can torch him.   If Archie is relieved in the next year or so as expected, his complete lack of awareness or stubbornness on the limitations of Rob and Al will be the dagger that wipes him out.   

No matter who the coach is, they need to have a tough conversation  with Phinisee.  If he even wants to keep playing basketball, Bellarmine, Univ of Indy, Wesleyan etc would be good fits with his ability level.  

No matter who the coach is, we need turnover on the roster where transfers or jucos are brought in.  

Jaden Ivey will be at Purdue only one more year max.  It’s nice that they can experience some guys going early and start dealing with that dynamic.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Nice kid, but when I think of Al Durham, the most emblematic detail about his career is the O-fer against Purdue. If you want to drive yourself crazy, play back the games, including when RMK was here, and look at his southern, Georgian half speed approach relative to the Purdue guys, who know they can torch him.   If Archie is relieved in the next year or so as expected, his complete lack of awareness or stubbornness on the limitations of Rob and Al will be the dagger that wipes him out.   

No matter who the coach is, they need to have a tough conversation  with Phinisee.  If he even wants to keep playing basketball, Bellarmine, Univ of Indy, Wesleyan etc would be good fits with his ability level.  

No matter who the coach is, we need turnover on the roster where transfers or jucos are brought in.  

Jaden Ivey will be at Purdue only one more year max.  It’s nice that they can experience some guys going early and start dealing with that dynamic.  

Durham is a great kid, and a wonderful ambassador for IU, but one of Archie's big failures in 4 years is not recruiting over him. 

He's a bench player at this level. 

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

If I had $1 for everytime someone on an IU message board has pointed out we need shooters, I could pay the buyout (and would !)

That’s true! We just don’t have much more to say! It’s basketball no one cheers to watch it bounce off the rim! Other then the opposing team! 
I do apologize to all the other guy’s on this board. I really want to be positive I just don’t see it ! 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can we stop this false narrative that if you're blaming the players for some things that you think Archie is blameless?

Impossible. Have to pick a side. Kind of like our country. One side or the other without the ability to see both.

If Dolson doesn’t report Gillis’s punch on Thompson, he’s not doing his job. I’m surprised Painter would teach kids to take a whack at a kid in the face to test the brace.  That is totally bush league and I thought Painter was above that.  This isn’t football.  Presumably, Gillis gets suspended in the tourney.  

Archived