Purdue game thread

Reacher

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I saw that the UM freshman center was Michigan’s leading scorer, during the IU game, I wondered how other freshman were scoring across the Big Ten. The graphic a few minutes ago showing that Purdue has 3/4 highest freshman scorers in the BT was a little disheartening.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Again, nobody is saying they should "take the fall", and I've said 6-7 times in this thread that Archie's biggest issue is not recruiting over Durham and Phinisee. 

But with that said, it's not like Durham, Phinisee, Leal and Hunter are missing contested shots because the offense sucks. 

They are missing completely wide open shots. These are D1 level basketball players. Durham has missed 3-4 3's where there wasn't a guy within 5 feet of him. 

At some point these guys need to make open shots or move on. 

What some are saying is it really the offense getting those open shots or is that the defensive design to not guard them on the perimeter. 

3 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I have said for 2+ years that Archie’s infatuation with Durham will lead to his demise.  At most, Durham should get 6-10 minutes a game.  Good guy most likely, just not a good or smart basketball player

I don't think its an infatuation with Durham, it's an inability to bring someone in who is better. That's the big failure. Because you're right, Durham is a bench player at this level. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What some are saying is it really the offense getting those open shots or is that the defensive design to not guard them on the perimeter. 

They are given a good majority of those shots. Because teams only fear one player. Trayce

Again, nobody is saying they should "take the fall", and I've said 6-7 times in this thread that Archie's biggest issue is not recruiting over Durham and Phinisee. 

But with that said, it's not like Durham, Phinisee, Leal and Hunter are missing contested shots because the offense sucks. 

They are missing completely wide open shots. These are D1 level basketball players. Durham has missed 3-4 3's where there wasn't a guy within 5 feet of him. 

Or maybe he could play some other guys to send a message.  I remember Knight benching his best players before and losing a game but it benefited the team down the road because they knew he wasn’t afraid to use the bench even if it meant to play a walk on.  I love Al, but he’s never been put on the bench for an extended period of time his entire career.  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Ok, so if our guys made open shots then our offense would be worse because then the defense would play us straight up?!?! 

Whats your point? We're getting wide open shots and bricking them. 

Just now, HoagieRoll said:

I’m hammered but can we all agree that Rob is one of the most garbage players in IU history? Hyped from high school but has been awful for awhile 

he hasn't been bad the last couple of games and no I wouldn't call any player garbage.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can’t speak for everyone, but my lack of ripping players doesn’t mean I don’t see their have a fault to play. I just don’t like ripping on players for underperforming. Ultimately, every coach who loses his job is because of lack of player performance. (Other than cheating). 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It’s defensive design and another thing for people to think about when saying they are missing open shots. Just because they are open doesn’t mean they’re good shots but some don’t seem to get that. 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Or maybe he could play some other guys to send a message.  I remember Knight benching his best players before and losing a game but it benefited the team down the road because they knew he wasn’t afraid to use the bench even if it meant to play a walk on.  I love Al, but he’s never been put on the bench for an extended period of time his entire career.  

But then people complain about the lineups and Archie's subbing. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Ol, so if our guys made open shots then our offense would be worse because then the defense would play us straight up?!?! 

Whats your point? We're getting wide open shots and bricking them. 

I think his point is they are being left alone because they aren’t good enough and not a big enough threat to make them. 

I don't think its an infatuation with Durham, it's an inability to bring someone in who is better. That's the big failure. Because you're right, Durham is a bench player at this level. 

I know people are tired of me saying it, but Brunk's injury prevented us from starting Jerome at the 3 for most of the year because if front court depth...

We could have made Al an off the bench guy with Armaan and Rob at the guard slots...

People keep saying that CAM has to put his players in a position to succeed.  Maybe there are coaches who who push the buttons better, or have them in a different spot on the floor, but even Wooden, Knight, Auerbach, etc. needed players who could make layups, free throws, could hustle, and on and on.  Coaches live and die with the players on their team, and the players that he has had will be his undoing.  He has to own that, and I imagine he would.  

It was said that Knight could take his players and beat your players, then take your players and beat his players.  Clearly hyperbole, otherwise we would have 30+ banners.  Clearly coaching matters, but recruiting matters more.  This is where Archie has failed.  I think maybe we have had four years of too many players who were not mentally tough enough while also having too much influence on the culture.  Maybe IU administration limits the intervention that a coach would take to fix these issues.  Whatever it is, I don't think we should be too concerned with player turnover/transfers because the next coach won't be light years ahead of CAM in getting this guys to perform the way needed.

Archived