Purdue game thread

Reacher

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s defensive design and another thing for people to think about when saying they are missing open shots. Just because they are open doesn’t mean they’re good shots but some don’t seem to get that. 

....ah, yeah.   lol

Kinda surprised people don’t realize that...

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s defensive design and another thing for people to think about when saying they are missing open shots. Just because they are open doesn’t mean they’re good shots but some don’t seem to get that. 

Everyone understands that. Its not Thompson, TJD and Geronimo missing open 3's. 

They're wide open, in rythem 3's by our guards and players that are supposed to be able to make those shots. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, nobody is saying they should "take the fall", and I've said 6-7 times in this thread that Archie's biggest issue is not recruiting over Durham and Phinisee. 

But with that said, it's not like Durham, Phinisee, Leal and Hunter are missing contested shots because the offense sucks. 

They are missing completely wide open shots. These are D1 level basketball players. Durham has missed 3-4 3's where there wasn't a guy within 5 feet of him. 

At some point these guys need to make open shots or move on. 

The players are definitely missing gimmes, but it’s not just that.  The offense sucks.  He hasn’t had a top 30 offense on KenPom since his first two seasons at Dayton.  And he hasn’t had a top 40 offense since his third year at Dayton.

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like I said, the biggest issue is not recruiting over those guys the last 2-3 years. That's the failure, not the design of the offense. 

Definitely.  Knight knew what he had to do in his player reviews at the end of the season.  In Season on the Brink, they detailed what he told Winston Morgan.  A couple of years earlier he used to tout Morgan.  He had a quote along the lines of “if I had five Morgan’s out there, I’d win big.”    But at the end of his junior year, Knight felt he couldn’t win with Morgan because he hadn’t developed.  So, he told him wouldn’t play etc.   Morgan thought about it and came back to Knight and said he’d be all in so Knight was impressed with that.   

The key, though, Knight didn’t sit passively and just live with poor play.  He was ready to get new guys because his plan was to get ready to win every year to the best we could.  

Izzo is expected to proceed that way this off-season.  He’s going to go get reinforcements.

And we are competing with the OSU’s and Michigan’s who refuse to rebuild.  They go get transfers to fill gaps and stay at the top.  Meanwhile we are fine with living with Phin and Durham.  

Archived