Purdue game thread

Reacher

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know. It's not because Archie tells them too. Clearly they lack confidence. 

But today, and in many games, these are completely wide open shots. 

I'd say its a recruiting issue. We haven't prioritized shooting, which is on Archie. We haven't recruited over Durham and Phinisee, which is an Archie issue. 

But at some point these are high-major D1 basketball players and these are wide open shots. Players need to make plays. 

Just because a guy is on a High D1 roster doesn’t mean they have the talent to compete and be there. You said it right I think. Archie didn’t recruit over Al and Rob, both are bench players at best on a good D1 roster. 

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Feathery said:

Just because a guy is on a High D1 roster doesn’t mean they have the talent to compete and be there. You said it right I think. Archie didn’t recruit over Al and Rob, both are bench players at best on a good D1 roster. 

Agree. Guard and wing talent is why we're in this situation. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Then get guys who can make the shot. Still come back to the coach and recruiting. Shooting has been an issue for 4 years. It’s not just missing shots when it’s 4 years in a row. Culturally Purdue is known for hitting shots and IU is known for missing and missing some badly. 

Tell me which one of the kids from Indiana that Archie recruited recently that wasn't known as a shooter? I mean i know not having Franklin out there today means nothing.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

That’s the position Archie played too. You would think that he would be able to recruit guards at an elite level. 

Archie subscribes to the Calipari system...he wants wingspan and athletes...and shooting is just a secondary thought...because it’s all about defense with Archie.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Tell me which one of the kids from Indiana that Archie recruited recently that wasn't known as a shooter? I mean i know not having Franklin out there today means nothing.

Lander is a slasher, Trey isn’t a shooter and wasn’t in high school, Franklin came in as a scorer not an elite shooter. Rob wasn’t a shooter in high school. None of the bigs can shoot either to help floor spacing. 

Leal is a shooter. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Archie subscribes to the Calipari system...he wants wingspan and athletes...and shooting is just a secondary thought...because it’s all about defense with Archie.

Except we don't really have any super long, athletic guys. So even that hasn't worked. 

I know many want to just blame Archie.  He certainly deserves some blame.  But when you recruit shooters like Leal who just forgets how to shoot, and you have guys with experience like Rob who forget how to shoot, I just think some of the blame goes directly to the players.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Lander is a slasher, Trey isn’t a shooter and wasn’t in high school, Franklin came in as a scorer not an elite shooter. Rob wasn’t a shooter in high school. None of the bigs can shoot either to help floor spacing. 

Leal is a shooter. 

All good points....maybe the dozen or so games I watched Galloway/Leal/Franklin when he was senior were just rare. I saw 3 in state kids knocking down 20 footers routinely. Not so much anymore. Plus if Archie doesn't recruit the in state kids....the guys at the barber shop get ticked.

Tough cycle and catch-22. Go out of state and lose you get fired. Go in state but kids don't deliver and get fired. 

Archived