Purdue Post Game

Inequality

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While I don’t disagree, I wonder why they are so comfortable classlessly taking a shot at IU.   What’s going on under Painter in their clubhouse that this kind of thing is deemed ok? 

I don't see that as classless. He prepared to play defense against IU and they did not make changes so it worked out well for him. Would you have been okay with it if he had just answered "preparation" instead of giving details?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Maybe it’s just the truth?  They were asked questions and they gave their answers.  I’m sure it was meant to be a dig at IU, and I’m perfectly fine with it if it was.  You beat someone 9 times in a row and 7 under the current staff then you earned that right.  And again maybe he’s right since Ayo from Illinois basically said the same thing.🤷🏼‍♂️

PU beat us so many times, and they're asked what the secret was. And a player answered, "well it was just....easy." 

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While I don’t disagree, I wonder why they are so comfortable classlessly taking a shot at IU.   What’s going on under Painter in their clubhouse that this kind of thing is deemed ok? 

If they are asked a question then they should answer it honestly. There players aren’t afraid to speak to the media like IU’s seem to be most of the time.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Maybe it’s just the truth?  They were asked questions and they gave their answers.  I’m sure it was meant to be a dig at IU, and I’m perfectly fine with it if it was.  You beat someone 9 times in a row and 7 under the current staff then you earned that right.  And again maybe he’s right since Ayo from Illinois basically said the same thing.🤷🏼‍♂️

Respect your views, but just my IMO, but I’d want to beat people with class.  You could easily say “I studied their film relentlessly and felt like I could anticipate their attack.”  That’s not outright calling somebody out. If I were a coach that’s how I would teach it.  I am sure you know Coach Knight would skewer players when they went down that path.  

In my work, I never, ever call out a competitor by name.  To do otherwise would reflect poorly on me.  The way I do it is, I give negative examples to show how we are better but I don’t call people out by name.  It plays a lot better IMO.   

Like I said, you’re a great poster and we can’t always agree!  It makes the world go around.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Respect your views, but just my IMO, but I’d want to beat people with class.  You could easily say “I studied their film relentlessly and felt like I could anticipate their attack.”  That’s not outright calling somebody out. If I were a coach that’s how I would teach it.  I am sure you know Coach Knight would skewer players when they went down that path.  

In my work, I never, ever call out a competitor by name.  To do otherwise would reflect poorly on me.  The way I do it is, I give negative examples to show how we are better but I don’t call people out by name.  It plays a lot better IMO.   

Like I said, you’re a great poster and we can’t always agree!  It makes the world go around.

What from that quote was classless.  I heard a lot worse playing pick up ball after losing.  Also were you alright when RMK brought out a donkey on his show on the week of the Purdue game.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No worries at all, I don’t think either of us are necessarily wrong anyway.  Plus I’m sick of living in a world that you have to agree with someone to be respectful.  

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

I get it. This whole thing is a mess and the buck stops with CAM. But, i can’t help but think after watching this season that he’s going to do very well at his next stop, because in addition to his failures as a coach, this also seems like more a perfect storm of (1) a lack of players simply not executing or producing as expected and (2) some untimely injuries. Not making excuses, that’s just what i see on the court, and i feel like we’re going to miss out on a really good coach long term. 

i mean, take away the ethical aspect and if you told me these players were throwing games for gambling purposes, I’d have a hard time disproving that. 

His success at Dayton was overblown. Having a brother coaching at Arizona probably influenced the public's perception of him, too. 

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It would be more disrespectful to lie imho 

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s almost literally what he said. Said he studied tons of tape and knows al their plays? What is disrespectful about that?

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't think his answer being disrespectful. He said he studied IU's plays a lot so he was familiar what IU ran in offense. Kudos to the kid. He didn't say IU's offense was too easy or he didn't even need to study. He stated simple facts, but obviously as IU fans, his comments can't be well taken without bias, which is natural. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't think his answer being disrespectful. He said he studied IU's plays a lot so he was familiar what IU ran in offense. Kudos to the kid. He didn't say IU's offense was too easy or he didn't even need to study. He stated simple facts, but obviously as IU fans, his comments can't be well taken without bias, which is natural. 

I think I was replying to the statement that we had the easiest offense to cover and second place wasn’t even close.  

Trash talk on the court is different as it’s gamesmanship.  I think that’s fine within reason.  I talked when I played.  I loved trying to goad a player to take a shot.  “Oh you’ve got to take that” lol.  That works. After the game, though, you respect the opponent and game.  But this is a public statement calling out an opponent to the public.  

Well anyway, I look like I’m in the minority on this one.  Like I said, I enjoy the discussion.  Just my opinions.  It’s not a right or wrong thing.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think I was replying to the statement that we had the easiest offense to cover and second place wasn’t even close.  

Trash talk on the court is different as it’s gamesmanship.  I think that’s fine within reason.  I talked when I played.  I loved trying to goad a player to take a shot.  “Oh you’ve got to take that” lol.  That works. After the game, though, you respect the opponent and game.  But this is a public statement calling out an opponent to the public.  

Well anyway, I look like I’m in the minority on this one.  Like I said, I enjoy the discussion.  Just my opinions.  It’s not a right or wrong thing.  

That was Cline correct? And after the season was over and he graduated correct? I could be wrong.

Archived