Purdue Post Game

Inequality

23 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

With him it seems to always be the fault of the players and not him. No wonder there aren't any changes or improvements made.

Guess you either didn’t hear, or chose to ignore Hummel’s statement during the broadcast that, at some point, “the players just have to make plays.”

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Guess you either didn’t hear, or chose to ignore Hummel’s statement during the broadcast that, at some point, “the players just have to make plays.”

Guess you either didn't pay attention to, or chose to ignore, the last 4 years with the same issues. At some point, the coach is responsible. A game or two could certainly be blamed on the players. A whole season? No. Four whole seasons? Definitely not.

I don’t really get what his salary has to do with anything. He’s being paid an amount that is reasonable for the market he is in and the job he has. He’s just failing at it. I mean, do people actually think he’s just doing this for the salary?

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In certain games that is correct but it has been a problem for 4 years so it is on Archie for not recruiting good enough players.

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

When players haven’t made plays for 4 years and it’s not the same players, eventually it has to fall on the coach. 

I’m done playing the blame game. There is enough to go around. First Crean and his recruits and now Archie and his kids. Plain and simple it needs to be better. They all need to get better. There isn’t a single kid on the roster that I would freak out if they weren’t here next year....nor would I freak out if the coach is gone. I’m ready for a change. These kids aren’t bad kids and Archie isn’t a bad coach. It just didn’t work out. No hard feelings.

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

While players do have to make plays to win games, on the flip side, it's a valid question to ask if the players we have have been utilized to their strengths. Or Archie tried to fit players to his system no matter what their strengths and weaknesses are. We criticized Crean a lot for not being able to tweak his system to fit players better. I think we've seen the same problem with Archie. 

Also my other thoughts are if Archie's offensive scheme is simple and easy to prepare for, there's not much room for players to do. Their offensive sets and moves are easily anticipated by opponents. What makes matters worse, with our bad 3 point shooting, we can't open up the floor either.

49 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Respect your views, but just my IMO, but I’d want to beat people with class.  You could easily say “I studied their film relentlessly and felt like I could anticipate their attack.”  That’s not outright calling somebody out. If I were a coach that’s how I would teach it.  I am sure you know Coach Knight would skewer players when they went down that path.  

In my work, I never, ever call out a competitor by name.  To do otherwise would reflect poorly on me.  The way I do it is, I give negative examples to show how we are better but I don’t call people out by name.  It plays a lot better IMO.   

Like I said, you’re a great poster and we can’t always agree!  It makes the world go around.

Not that I disagree I’d want my team to be classy when winning but respect is earned, not given. We haven’t made anyone respect us over the last 4 years 

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Players can also make plays when our coach draws up plays that are tailored to their strengths and abilities. Also hard to make plays when our floor spacing is hot garbage...

22 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Players can also make plays when our coach draws up plays that are tailored to their strengths and abilities. Also hard to make plays when our floor spacing is hot garbage...

One of CAM’s strengths has been his play calling, especially out of bounds plays. 

I can recall at least 3-4 plays called for TJD today where he got a great look and the shots just didn’t fall 

54 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

I think this fits. 

One of my very favorite Twitter accounts. 

Oh, and I have nothing to say about today’s game as, like the previous two, I didn’t bother watching. 

Was busy reading the paper on the terrace and napping after a few beers. 

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well... on the bright side, my son's team won the NC 3A state championship.  first in school history and he was named tournament most outstanding player!  helps with the pain of another loss to Purdouche.  

Seriously, congratulations to your son. Big achievement!

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well... on the bright side, my son's team won the NC 3A state championship.  first in school history and he was named tournament most outstanding player!  helps with the pain of another loss to Purdouche.  

That's awesome! Congrats. 

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Chip off the old block, eh!

Can he shoot the 3 ball?

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Congratulations. That will be something he will remember the rest of his life. I am so jealous of him.

34 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One of CAM’s strengths has been his play calling, especially out of bounds plays. 

I can recall at least 3-4 plays called for TJD today where he got a great look and the shots just didn’t fall 

I have said if we can call a timeout before every possession or take the ball out of bounds every time we would be a good team.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While I don’t disagree, I wonder why they are so comfortable classlessly taking a shot at IU.   What’s going on under Painter in their clubhouse that this kind of thing is deemed ok? 

Just think if we had beaten PU 9 times in a row. We, including me, would be insufferable.

Archived