Tom Allen raise

I know this was talked about in the other thread, but thought it deserved its own thread.

If we keep being committed to him like this, he could stay here forever.  Based on last season's salaries, this would put him in the top 20 of all coaches, and would have him even with Ferentz's salary from last season.

He's now within a few hundred thousand of every coach in the conference not named Day or Harbaugh.

I bet his phone was ringing non-stop since the season ended with other schools interested in him.  So glad we did this.  If we can keep his salary competitive, I don't see why he'd leave (outside someone like Bama, Clemson, etc. calling).

• Like 7

I have to agree, this really shows not only the commitment to football and CTA but also shows that the administration clearly recognizes CTA is in high demand.  If they want to keep him around he needs to be paid like the coach he appears to be.  Historical leadership dictates historical pay.  I really hope we keep Coach around for a long time.  Congrats coach!  We appreciate all you have done and look forward to you taking the football team to even greater heights!

Just now, Leathernecks said:

Next offseason, it will be roughly $15 million.

Happy about next off season, but really wish it wouldn't drop down to 4 million the next year. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but if we can hire the right basketball coach, it would be great to be set for coaches for the next decade plus for major sports. I get the feeling from his talks that CTA wants to be a Hoosier for a long time but would love for him to be a "lifer".

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

Happy about next off season, but really wish it wouldn't drop down to 4 million the next year. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but if we can hire the right basketball coach, it would be great to be set for coaches for the next decade plus for major sports. I get the feeling from his talks that CTA wants to be a Hoosier for a long time but would love for him to be a "lifer".

I'm not too worried about the buyout because of the schools who would likely buy him out.  If he continues doing what he's done the last 2 years, the schools who he might leave for don't care if the buyout is $4 million or $40 million.  With his salary being what it is now, I don't think he'd leave for anything outside of a blue blood program.  Even then, I think he's convinced he can turn IU into one of those programs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm not too worried about the buyout because of the schools who would likely buy him out.  If he continues doing what he's done the last 2 years, the schools who he might leave for don't care if the buyout is $4 million or $40 million.  With his salary being what it is now, I don't think he'd leave for anything outside of a blue blood program.  Even then, I think he's convinced he can turn IU into one of those programs.

I hope you are right @Leathernecks. You are much more tuned into IU football than I am so I trust what you have to say regarding Hoosier football. I always get the vibe from CTA that he loves it here and money is not his main motivation and I respect him for that. My worries are that he is a once in a generation type coach (for IU) who can elevate IU to the national scene, and it would suck to lose him. I'm old enough to remember Coach Mallory and have a ton of respect for him and all he was able to accomplish at IU, but I think CTA can do all that and much more if he sticks around. 

• Like 3

Great to see this get done.  The future of IU football looks bright, and this shows the administration is committing itself to this program.

With regard to the contract, my understanding is that the contract still contains the "evergreen" clause which extends it by 1 year every time we go to a bowl game.  How does that impact the buyout?

• Thanks 1

All I'll say in this thread is kudos to Coach Allen and his staff. Well earned and hopefully will bring us the annual 8-9 wins that so many of us have asked for. My mood with IU Admin isn't good so I'll say this to Dolson. Glad you secured the 2nd or 3rd in some eyes most recognizable employee at IU for years to come. 

PS Dolson. You still have work to do. 

• Like 1

This is a great achievement for Dolson.   I’m really impressed that they did this.  Love the commitment.  

The AD’s office has done good work building up facilities and supporting all sports, including non-revenue sports.  Things had been neglected for decades.  

Now let’s hope this is a sign that we are pivoting to going for broke on football and basketball.  It’s time.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

That's a number I did not think I'd ever see associated with a IUFB coach.

Recruiting better step up to the level of being a top 20 paid Coach. I love the development this staff actives but the speed and bodies on 4 and 5 star kids can't be taught.

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I hope you are right @Leathernecks. You are much more tuned into IU football than I am so I trust what you have to say regarding Hoosier football. I always get the vibe from CTA that he loves it here and money is not his main motivation and I respect him for that. My worries are that he is a once in a generation type coach (for IU) who can elevate IU to the national scene, and it would suck to lose him. I'm old enough to remember Coach Mallory and have a ton of respect for him and all he was able to accomplish at IU, but I think CTA can do all that and much more if he sticks around. 

I could be wrong, but I just get the feeling from Allen that he's like if one of us was coaching here. It seems like he genuinely loves IU and wants to be the one who puts IU football on the map.  Just guessing though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't really care to get into a debate about the administration, but I think they've done a solid job the last 5 years for football. I was always of the thought that Glass knew what he had in Allen which is why Wilson was let go.  I seem to remember some insider rumblings of that at the time too.

That move alone is bigger than any other investment they could have made. They've also done a good job the last few years of offering assistants more money. We've spent pretty well on strength and conditioning and some coordinators. There's still room for improvement, but we've definitely made a much bigger commitment to football.

Really don't want to bring any of the basketball talk here.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’m very happy with how Dolson handled the raise.  Another example of “getting it.”  It’s because he has a sports background.  

There was talk on the basketball board about how we gave Allen a shot and it worked out.  A couple of thoughts.  If you are a true football fan that follows the team, Allen is a special, special guy.  I give Kevin Wilson a lot of credit.  He took a program that had some self-defeatist attitudes and pounded the table that we are not just accepting our fate at the bottom.  He is a very good offensive mind and we got competitive on O.  But our defense sucked for the most part.  That is, until Allen got here.  And give Wilson credit for getting him here.  If you look at Allen’s record, he took moribund defenses everywhere he was and turned them around drastically to eye popping levels.  Then he literally did that here right away.  

What does that tell you?  He has a tremendous defensive mind.  He truly and honestly does, no BS.  He’s not just a rah rah guy or whatever.  He has very strong convictions that are well studied so he’s not a JAG (just a guy).  His 4-2-5 is very well thought out and highly effective.  Our team speed on D has skyrocketed.  Plus, the beauty of it, and I didn’t know this until he became head coach, he’s very smart.  He recognizes that he wants an aggressive offense.  It’s because he knows what’s tough to defend.  A lot of defensive coaches love to play ball control, safe football.   Not Allen.  He steps on the gas.  On recruiting he’s not sticking with MAC level guys.  He went for broke and has done extremely well.  He has scouted well too, snagging guys like McFadden who weren’t highly rated but will end up playing on Sunday’s. 

My point, and all the regular football posters know this, this was no accident.  if you look under the hood, Allen is a strong football mind on top of building a great culture and being a leader.  You could see this coming if you studied his work. And now we have an attractive stadium that’s enclosed and not just two sides with bleachers like lower level football (as it was when I was a student).  It looks great.  Our facilities are better.  With how attractive of a coach as Allen is, and with a credible stadium facilities, plus demonstrated success, we can keep climbing.  Paying Allen was very smart.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m very happy with how Dolson handled the raise.  Another example of “getting it.”  It’s because he has a sports background.  

There was talk on the basketball board about how we gave Allen a shot and it worked out.  A couple of thoughts.  If you are a true football fan that follows the team, Allen is a special, special guy.  I give Kevin Wilson a lot of credit.  He took a program that had some self-defeatist attitudes and pounded the table that we are not just accepting our fate at the bottom.  He is a very good offensive mind and we got competitive on O.  But our defense sucked for the most part.  That is, until Allen got here.  And give Wilson credit for getting him here.  If you look at Allen’s record, he took moribund defenses everywhere he was and turned them around drastically to eye popping levels.  Then he literally did that here right away.  

What does that tell you?  He has a tremendous defensive mind.  He truly and honestly does, no BS.  He’s not just a rah rah guy or whatever.  He has very strong convictions that are well studied so he’s not a JAG (just a guy).  His 4-2-5 is very well thought out and highly effective.  Our team speed on D has skyrocketed.  Plus, the beauty of it, and I didn’t know this until he became head coach, he’s very smart.  He recognizes that he wants an aggressive offense.  It’s because he knows what’s tough to defend.  A lot of defensive coaches love to play ball control, safe football.   Not Allen.  He steps on the gas.  On recruiting he’s not sticking with MAC level guys.  He went for broke and has done extremely well.  He has scouted well too, snagging guys like McFadden who weren’t highly rated but will end up playing on Sunday’s. 

My point, and all the regular football posters know this, this was no accident.  if you look under the hood, Allen is a strong football mind on top of building a great culture and being a leader.  You could see this coming if you studied his work. And now we have an attractive stadium that’s enclosed and not just two sides with bleachers like lower level football (as it was when I was a student).  It looks great.  Our facilities are better.  With how attractive of a coach as Allen is, and with a credible stadium facilities, plus demonstrated success, we can keep climbing.  Paying Allen was very smart.  

I've never believed in something more in my eye then when Tom Allen looked at the cameras after the MSU game 2 years ago and said we aren't going anywhere, we ain't scared of anyone. 

I watch this interview as a player or coach or recruit.. theres NOTHING I wouldn't do for him. 

I'm a football guy first and foremost, Tom Allen gets his kids to play HARD, they play smart, and my god are they aggressive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really liked the Tom Allen hire when Kevin Wilson was let go because of the drastic changes to our defense in his first year. However, let’s not forget his first two seasons he went 5-7 after Wilson had us in consecutive bowl games. People were about ready to move on until the break out year with deboer coming in as offensive coordinator. Allen is a great defensive coach but we need to make sure he continues to complement himself with a great offensive mind. The first two years with Debord were horrible to watch. I love CTA and I think he will be here for a long time. He just needs to continue to get the hires right on the offensive side of the ball and imo the verdict is still out on sheridan. I think the talent we have on offense has masked his questionable play calling a little bit. This year will be big for them and I’m hoping for the best. Love IU football.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DireBump said:

I really liked the Tom Allen hire when Kevin Wilson was let go because of the drastic changes to our defense in his first year. However, let’s not forget his first two seasons he went 5-7 after Wilson had us in consecutive bowl games. People were about ready to move on until the break out year with deboer coming in as offensive coordinator. Allen is a great defensive coach but we need to make sure he continues to complement himself with a great offensive mind. The first two years with Debord were horrible to watch. I love CTA and I think he will be here for a long time. He just needs to continue to get the hires right on the offensive side of the ball and imo the verdict is still out on sheridan. I think the talent we have on offense has masked his questionable play calling a little bit. This year will be big for them and I’m hoping for the best. Love IU football.

That’s fair.  I think I posted in the early years that he needed to cross the rubicon and win some of the big games we were losing.  “Learning to win” kind of thing.  I think we’ve done that to a great extent.  But that’s an ongoing process.  Winning a good bowl game might be the next thing on our checklist.  

• Like 1