This used to be fun

Coming here used to be fun.  The lively debate was fun.  Leaning from other who knew basketball used to be fun.  Reading insider information that was maybe true, maybe wasn't, but it was fun to speculate....without being told you were ignorant or had an agenda.  Even the light hearted of our posters no longer bring the funny posts that were not even remotely related to the thread.  The insiders are gone.

But man, I now have to pick and choose what topics to reply too.  I have to worry about getting torn apart or ridiculed for having an opinion one way or another.  You can't even have an opinion without 3 sources and a detailed essay on why this or that.  We used to be able to post thoughts or believes and others would chime in or ignore it.  That is no longer the case.  Even this thread is going to get me ridiculed and I will be told not to let the door hit me in the ass on my way out and that if this is how I feel then I should just move on.  

Maybe I am feeling down today but I don't know how many threads I was going to respond to lately that I deleted the comment I had just written and decided it wasn't really worth it.

I hope something happens soon to the program.  We start winning.  We get a new coach.  We get a start recruit.  Or a huge transfer.  This program needs something.  Anything for the fanbase to rally around.  

I will probably delete this thread but this has been bothering me for a couple days and i wanted to get it off my chest

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Coming here used to be fun.  The lively debate was fun.  Leaning from other who knew basketball used to be fun.  Reading insider information that was maybe true, maybe wasn't, but it was fun to speculate....without being told you were ignorant or had an agenda.  Even the light hearted of our posters no longer bring the funny posts that were not even remotely related to the thread.  The insiders are gone.

But man, I now have to pick and choose what topics to reply too.  I have to worry about getting torn apart or ridiculed for having an opinion one way or another.  You can't even have an opinion without 3 sources and a detailed essay on why this or that.  We used to be able to post thoughts or believes and others would chime in or ignore it.  That is no longer the case.  Even this thread is going to get me ridiculed and I will be told not to let the door hit me in the ass on my way out and that if this is how I feel then I should just move on.  

Maybe I am feeling down today but I don't know how many threads I was going to respond to lately that I deleted the comment I had just written and decided it wasn't really worth it.

I hope something happens soon to the program.  We start winning.  We get a new coach.  We get a start recruit.  Or a huge transfer.  This program needs something.  Anything for the fanbase to rally around.  

I will probably delete this thread but this has been bothering me for a couple days and i wanted to get it off my chest

There is always a valley before a mountain...a storm to go through before the calm, night before the dawn. This too shall pass. Can’t say how long but appreciate the hard times because the trials will build character in us. When the good times come will we appreciate good basketball and be thankful or will we feel entitled and look down on “little brother” etc. hopefully we all use this time to reaccess our priorities and how what kind of fans we will be when we taste success. It will get better. We will find our Joshua to lead us out of the wilderness. We are one right hire away. Look on the bright side. The season is about over and you won’t have to suffer on here for another like 8 months. We always have IU football!

With all due respect, this is by far the best free board I’ve found.   There are some others out there that are down right toxic.  They would argue you about what color water is in your toilet bowl.  It’s brutal.    

I applaud the group here and the admins.  Sorry you don’t feel that way man. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I had one of our insiders message me yesterday that he is no longer going to be on this board.  He said there are certain posters he is tired if dealing with and it is not worth his time coming here

There must be a helluva lot of crap go on behind the scenes via IM, because I have never seen anything posted publicly on this board about an insider that would be enough to drive them away.   

29 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Ss zzz zzz x 

Hang in there friend. If the basketball team was thriving and looking to make its mark on some teams in the NCAA right now, we would all feel a lot better and the conversations would be a whole lot different.

Also, I deal with chest puffers the same way I do my kitchen appliances. I only encounter when necessary and I never try and hold a conversation. It works pretty well for me but there’s also ignore.

OP, hang in there.  Opinions are not facts and everyone is entitled to them.  

It has been tense on a relative basis on here lately.  I think it stems in part from people speaking in absolutes.  Or merging facts into opinions.   You get the “know it all” culture going.  One person does it and then another person takes it as a challenge and we get into a cycle.  IMO the absolutes come from wishful thinking or what someone really wants to be true.   Let’s put it this way, it doesn’t matter what anyone here says in terms of what’s going to happen.  It’s as if people act like if they say something strongly enough, that proves it will happen that way.   

It’s a great community and we have to remember to be friends even if we don’t agree on points here and there.

This shall pass and when get back to talking about normal things, there’s no better board out there.  

49 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The reality is that the board is a little crankier than normal because of how the team has been performing.  There is only so much 'discussion' we can have about Archie's performance without repeating ourselves. 

The good news is, that once the season is over, we will have some new things to discuss.  We will either be talking in earnest about his replacement (and not just speculating).  Or, we will be talking about what roster adjustments Archie will need to make to put us in a better position next season.  Both of those topics will be actual discussion items and not just rampant speculation that is born out of frustration.

Hang in there.  It will be better.  You are a valuable member of the board and I hope you continue to participate.   

53 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I get it.  I might be one of the people making things not so fun for you, if so, sorry.

This isn't fun though.  If it weren't for the message boards, I would have checked out on IU several years ago.  FWIW, if I am one of the people that is making it not fun for you, I have typed and deleted a dew posts myself.  

I think we have just hit an impasse on a topic that does not allow for much gray anymore.  And unfortunately it is hard to discuss those other things you mentioned until we get a resolution with that primary topic.  FWIW, I think that no matter how the Miller thing plays out, you'll probably get a more sanguine board after the fact.  If he stays, I would bet that quite a few in the "he needs to go" camp will probably greatly reduce the amount of time they spend on IU basketball.  That would include this site.  If he's replaced, there should be at least a little bit of a honeymoon period for the new guy.

The Colts used to be called “Count On Losing This Sunday.” Fans for other teams used to wear paper bags on their heads going to games.  Losing creates a potentially toxic environment based on collective maturity levels. I think the mods here do a great job of keeping it clean and above the belt. You should see the garbage spewed at the #iubb twitter chat. Calling out players, etc. Winning cures a lot of ills. We are in uncharted territory. We are in a historical slump, there are no big name Recruits coming in ( to be fair, this is a FIRST for Archie) and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. We have now been losing for the most part for 25 years. We thought we were back, but lost it all vs a 2-3 zone...Not to mention the Fact that the tournament is completely in the state of Indiana. Frustrating times. I for one, still think this is fun, gives me something to check on during breaks at work. And I know we have too much pride in our beloved Hoosiers to let things stay down. We’ll be back!!

Insiders inside the locker room have dried up because the program got tight lipped, which is a good thing.  

The next closest thing to an insider we have seen lately is guys that are friends of rich boosters.  That information is always 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th hand and subject to change at any moment.  

It comes and goes as connections to the program come and go.  I made snarky remarks to one because he would come here and make snarky remarks to many daily contributors of the board.  I haven't missed this person, some have.  

There are great people here.  Losing isn't fun.  Someone said earlier today they were shocked the future looked brighter last year at this time than this year.  Hang on tight.  

Man, people are taking this way too serious.  We suck at basketball, Archie isn't the guy, etc. Be passionate, but be grounded.  Life isn't worth this eating at you so bad you have to leave and let it control your emotions. I understand we all want the banners, success for the program, and to be elite again.

Count your blessings.  Be thankful you have your health, family, or whatever it is.  Learn to debate and not degrade.  It is sad that people can't just understand it is OK differ in opinions without thinking you are being attack.  It is also sad people can't see that they aren't being attacked by someone expressing their opinion as a rebuttal to a point you have made.  Very few, if any, of us get paid for our opinions on basketball, so I just read and share every now and then.  If people disagree with my point I totally respect that and don't get my butt chapped over something that really is pretty meaningless in my life.

Sorry for the negative tone, but be thankful for what we all have.  It is on thing that makes our lives in the country great.  We are allowed to have an opinion, but sometimes we fail to understand that right comes with the ability to allow others a respectful way to express theirs as well.  I will always hold Mile close to my heart because of all the little things he gave this board that weren't basketball related.  He cared about everyone here like family and would bristle at the negativity this is becoming.  

Mute, delete, block, or whatever, but please remember this isn't worth ruining anyone's day over.  Post away and Go Hoosiers!

53 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

CoachSS has said he was done posting.  I don't think he tweets anymore either.  But I almost guarantee he'll be back at some point. 

Yeah i had heard he was getting bashed on Twitter ....losing is no fun and it eventually spills over to alot of unhappy people 

Hey Iowa, hang in there. Just remembered this board and started lurking yesterday and today. Believe me this board is like a breath of fresh air. Everyone is bummed out obviously, but the discussion here is much more balanced and positive, whichever way this goes.  I was hanging out over at thehoosier and those guys are like the hate mob that stormed the Capitol. Nobody can make a comment without get jumped on and insulted on a personal level, sad. I had to find a better board so going to stay here for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Willkie71 said:

Hey Iowa, hang in there. Just remembered this board and started lurking yesterday and today. Believe me this board is like a breath of fresh air. Everyone is bummed out obviously, but the discussion here is much more balanced and positive, whichever way this goes.  I was hanging out over at thehoosier and those guys are like the hate mob that stormed the Capitol. Nobody can make a comment without get jumped on and insulted on a personal level, sad. I had to find a better board so going to stay here for sure. 

Welcome back

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

OP, hang in there.  Opinions are not facts and everyone is entitled to them.  

It has been tense on a relative basis on here lately.  I think it stems in part from people speaking in absolutes.  Or merging facts into opinions.   You get the “know it all” culture going.  One person does it and then another person takes it as a challenge and we get into a cycle.  IMO the absolutes come from wishful thinking or what someone really wants to be true.   Let’s put it this way, it doesn’t matter what anyone here says in terms of what’s going to happen.  It’s as if people act like if they say something strongly enough, that proves it will happen that way.   

It’s a great community and we have to remember to be friends even if we don’t agree on points here and there.

This shall pass and when get back to talking about normal things, there’s no better board out there.  

This is a great post - especially the bolded part.  You just verbalized a thought I hadn't ever been able to.

Archived