This used to be fun

20 minutes ago, Willkie71 said:

Hey Iowa, hang in there. Just remembered this board and started lurking yesterday and today. Believe me this board is like a breath of fresh air. Everyone is bummed out obviously, but the discussion here is much more balanced and positive, whichever way this goes.  I was hanging out over at thehoosier and those guys are like the hate mob that stormed the Capitol. Nobody can make a comment without get jumped on and insulted on a personal level, sad. I had to find a better board so going to stay here for sure. 

come on in, the water is fine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, old fart here. Graduated IU the year before RMK arrived and been following the Hoosiers since the Van Arsdale twins era.  I also live across the river from Louisville so it's tough having to put up the UK and UL crazies. Seems like a long long time ago since we hung that last banner.  Just hope we can get back to relevance while I can remember how to get to Btown.  Loved the Archie hire and tired of the coaching turnover, but I'm ready for whatever at this point. 

1 minute ago, Willkie71 said:

Thanks, old fart here. Graduated IU the year before RMK arrived and been following the Hoosiers since the Van Arsdale twins era.  I also live across the river from Louisville so it's tough having to put up the UK and UL crazies. Seems like a long long time ago since we hung that last banner.  Just hope we can get back to relevance while I can remember how to get to Btown.  Loved the Archie hire and tired of the coaching turnover, but I'm ready for whatever at this point. 

Hope you stay this time and post a lot.  You have a lot to contribute with your perspective.  

4 minutes ago, Willkie71 said:

Hey.  I live right across the river from Louisville as well.  Great place to live except for the UL & UK mobs.  Thankfully, both are pretty quiet this year as they are struggling as well.  There are a few others from our neck of the woods as well.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hey.  I live right across the river from Louisville as well.  Great place to live except for the UL & UK mobs.  Thankfully, both are pretty quiet this year as they are struggling as well.  There are a few others from our neck of the woods as well.  

Yeah, watching UK struggle does lighten the load, and UL got pounded by NC the other day, so that helps!

My enthusiasm for IU basketball is at an all-time low. I never posted much on here but I've always lurked, but I find that I don't even have the energy to do that much anymore. Maybe I'll feel different when football season starts. Missing the NCAA tourney is the final straw for me. I'm getting too old for this crap.

I just signed up and started posting here, but I've been lurking around a long time.  Clear back to the Scout/John Decker days (I used to post a little on that site).  This site is the best.  I'm a IU grad, and I'll be 55 years old at the end of the month.  I remember all 3 of Knight's championships well, and in fact was an IU-Fort Wayne student when we won it in '87.  I turned 21 a half-hour after the game ended.  Fun times!  I have 3 boys (15, 13, and 11), and I long for some semblance of the IU program I grew up with so my boys can know what it's like.  I thought we were going to get it with Crean, but he couldn't sustain it.  I'm now of the opinion that if we don't move fast and make a home run hire, my boys will never get to experience it.  Really sad that the University seems to be wasting an absolute treasure.   

I actually love your post, @IowaHoosierFan! I'm not glad you're feeling this way and I hope you keep posting, but a post like yours always gives me a reminder to step back and think about the way I'm posting, the tone I'm conveying, and to just remember to have a more open mind. 

We're all frustrated and probably anxious as to how the next few weeks are going to play out, but this is still the best place to talk IU around. 

Sports message boards can be a real trip, both good and bad. I have been doing the message board thing since the original Star News message boards back when nobody had to even be registered, it was a free-for-all. I was a member of the IIBF (Independent Indiana Basketball Forum) which I am not sure anyone but myself remembers. Peegs was a member there before his own board took off. Talking mid-90's stuff here. 

All that to say it is incredibly easy to get too emotionally invested in the back and forth and taking sides and seemingly endless arguments. Been a member of a lot of different IU boards over the years. It is pretty easy for any forum to become emotionally draining and not fun. I've certainly embarrassed myself and butted heads with mods on past boards. But all that said, this place really does feel like home. I believe it is the finest IU message board on the internet right now. There is a sense of community and empathy between members that is tangible; maybe not everyone has that same experience but I can sense it.

I think you guys are all pretty cool in your own way except Jaybob. That guy, don't get me started! 🤣

jk Jaybob. 😜

I’m really struggling with the fact that the tournament is LITERALLY right in our backyard this year and we will (barring a miracle B1G tournament run) not be in it. It’s just so discouraging. 

That said, it’s also something I have absolutely no control over - kind of like the coaching decision - so I’ve just decided to focus on things that bring me joy. I’m spending my time here over in Colonial Crestor’s Corner talking about gardening, audio equipment, music, and beer. 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I’m really struggling with the fact that the tournament is LITERALLY right in our backyard this year and we will (barring a miracle B1G tournament run) not be in it. It’s just so discouraging. 

That said, it’s also something I have absolutely no control over - kind of like the coaching decision - so I’ve just decided to focus on things that bring me joy. I’m spending my time here over in Colonial Crestor’s Corner talking about gardening, audio equipment, music, and beer. 

Sick to my stomach that we aren't in this one. Not just because it's in Indy (I don't put much in that optics) but because it's year 4 and still having these conversations. I've been on the unless it's a home run hire you bring Archie back as long as TJD comes back train....but I also find myself a time or two during the day getting ticked again and saying this is unacceptable.

Regarding thread. Hopefully I haven't ticked anyone off and if I have...apologies. Despite the recent upswing in posts trending towards the negative...this is still the best board. Hope @IowaHoosierFanyou stick around. The season will be over for everyone besides 4 teams in 3 weeks or so. We'll all be back in the same position at that point. Haha.

I am certain that I must be one of the 2-3 burrs up the butt. For that I apologize.

I did make the conscious decision to pull back from the board due to the constant negativity. I have since come back, with the same mindset that I want to see CAM succeed here, but also understanding that I think everyone on here wants the same end goal. 

Participating here should be fun. Should be a place to let off steam, but still to have fun. Not a place to puff out your chest that you know more than someone else.

I vow to stick to the practice of focusing on the content, and replying about it, not about the messenger. 

If the folks on this forum, in this fan base, can't stick together, then we've lost already.

This is without question the best IU sports forum on the web.

Not only because of it being free to members like Mile and CC used to always say.

Not because of the great discussions.

Not because of the fantastic moderation team.

Not because of the occasional juicy morsel left behind by an insider or someone somewhat close to a particular situation.

Folks, there are a lot of very smart people here at this place. From all age groups. From different types of careers. Everyone has their own perspective base on the roads they’ve traveled and the acquaintances or even connections made up to this point.

It is an IU fan board. But, hang out here long enough and it becomes a place of refuge for a brief moment. A pixelated club house of sorts with regular contributing members. 

It really shouldn't ever be a place that any member feels like they can’t speak their own rational thoughts for fear of being belittled.

:cheers:

For me personally I don't think the on court product has been very enjoyable which has made discussing it less fun.  I mean it's fun to discuss something enjoyable, but it's no fun to discuss something that brings more frustration and discouragement than joy.  We all have our ideas on what needs to happen after the season, but hopefully whatever happens we get back to seeing success sooner rather than later.  That's what we all want anyway.  

this is the only message board i have ever used and very likely will ever use.  i think it's great that we have different opinions.  some just get really upset and/or aggressive when they disagree.  some seem to just try to find something to disagree with just to disagree.  oh well.  i just like to keep up with IU bball news and rumors and this is the only place i have time for! 

Archived