Rutgers Post-Game Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, rico said:

The booing controversy aside I just can't blame the coach for missing lay-ups, missing FT's, or missing wide open 3's.  I just can't do it.  

I completely agree with you on Xs and Os - the system being used has gotten them good looks. But, this is clearly something mental, and that’s on the coach, too. Hell, basic muscle memory should allow you to hit 50% of your FTs, so this is something in their heads.

I’m also completely baffled how Lander didn’t see the court at all at this point in the season. I almost hope it’s a disciplinary thing, because of CAM just didn’t play him, especially when things clearly weren’t working from the end of the first half on, then that’s on him, too. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rico said:

The booing controversy aside I just can't blame the coach for missing lay-ups, missing FT's, or missing wide open 3's.  I just can't do it.  

When it has been one of our biggest problems for 4 seasons, and we have shown little to no improvement in those areas, I don't know how it isn't the coach's fault. The players absolutely share some responsibility, but it has been a trend for his whole tenure.

I seriously question how we're practicing those things, and if we're practicing them at all. It's the coach's job to make their skills better so they finish better, to help with their form and rhythm on free throws, their form on shooting, and to help them get confident in what they're doing.

If a coach can't make someone a better shoot or help them finish at the rim, why even work on those things at all during practice?

Looking at a single game, I'm fine with blaming players for missing shots. Even Jordan missed shots. When it is the same issue for 4 years, hard for me to blame the players too much. 

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

When it has been one of our biggest problems for 4 seasons, and we have shown little to no improvement in those areas, I don't know how it isn't the coach's fault. The players absolutely share some responsibility, but it has been a trend for his whole tenure.

I seriously question how we're practicing those things, and if we're practicing them at all. It's the coach's job to make their skills better so they finish better, to help with their form and rhythm on free throws, their form on shooting, and to help them get confident in what they're doing.

If a coach can't make someone a better shoot or help them finish at the rim, why even work on those things at all during practice?

Looking at a single game, I'm fine with blaming players for missing shots. Even Jordan missed shots. When it is the same issue for 4 years, hard for me to blame the players too much. 

What if there are no issues with lay-ups, FT's, and 3 pt shooting in practice?

Right now, I am more inclined to think we don't have many "gamers" on our squad.

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Right now, I am more inclined to think we don't have many "gamers" on our squad.

We came out brimming with confidence, and played well...

Rutgers got off the deck and kept challenging us...We became timid and unsure toward the end...I do think fatigue had something to do with it, but it's more a confidence issue to me...Rutgers had some guys that are uber confident (Young, Baker, and Harper) and it's contagious...They kept barking at us, and we let it get in our head...

And I'll ask this...we all see the weight training...maybe need more cardio mixed in? Trayce played hard but you could tell at the end he didn't have anything in the tank...

Wasn’t able to watch the game b/c of YouTubeTV being jerks, but I followed on Twitter and CBS Sports gametracker. Had some hope in the beginning, but that was an ugly ending. Especially with the boo birds. That’s just a bad look. Makes us look like the toothless UK fans. I get it, people are frustrated, but have some class. 

With that out of the way, this season was just bad. I genuinely like the guys and thought they were gelling. I’ve always liked Archie, but have come to accept that he’s just not the coach to get us to where we should be.

It’s time for a big change. I just hope we don’t lose too many players when it happens. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

With as bad as our shooting has been for 4 years, I struggle to believe there aren't things that could be done differently. 

19 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

With as bad as our shooting has been for 4 years, I struggle to believe there aren't things that could be done differently. 

Well just like in any team sport...ya can't fire the team, but ya can fire the coach.  At the end of the day, the wins and losses speak for themselves and that falls on the coach.

Just another day in the life of an IU fan recently. The worst part is that I don't really miss not watching them play.APATHY is a real thing my friends. I feel that I know the story well enough to write it out so do something worth while. If for some miraculous reason they win they its a win win. I did win a steak dinner on lasts night game, my Father is law as much as he hates IU said there is not way they lose to Rutgers 3 times in a year. I bet him a steak dinner and the rest is history. Listening to replays of CAM's presser really makes me want to PUKE. I just don't even hear one ounce of a guy that is supposed to be a competitor. I have heard fillabusting with more energy and enthusiasm.  Those few Archie supporters that are still left I just cant imagine that over the past 4 years you have seen anything that is an overwhelming vote of confidence for him. If you can I believe its just because you are very nice people that feel for him or your crimson colored glasses are on way to tight. Its not my place to judge but if you think the booing was bad last night just wait for a half full assembly hall lets loose. It won't be full because many of us will be doing something else that brings enjoyment. In 40 years of IU fandom THIS is rock bottom for me. I miss the excitement, I miss trash talking my PU buddies, I miss being able to wear my IU gear with pride for mens basketball, I miss my kids not knowing that IU was relevant, I miss not caring about the NCAA tourney, I miss that feeling after a loss (its now expected I feel nothing) I miss knowing that new fans are born everyday to the wonderful thing known as Indiana Basketball. Dolson I pray that you do the right thing and find the right guy to get this program back to relevancy before we just become a dinosaur that people talk about in past tense.

My first year as a head coach I had the Henry Ford quote about progress put on the back of our shirts because that is what I wanted to achieve. This 4 years has been the exact opposite in all ways possible. 

“Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”

Henry Ford

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Article from December 2018

Hoosiers struggling to solve free throw woes

As a player, free throws weren’t a problem for Archie Miller.

He was an 84 percent shooter at the line during his time at North Carolina State, making at least 80 percent of his attempts during the four full seasons that he played in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

As a coach — at least at Indiana — free throws aren’t coming as easy.

“When my dad texts me, ‘Hey, you guys better get on a new free throw plan, I say boy, we must be hitting an all-timer if he’s paying attention to it,” a self-deprecating Miller said this week. “We gotta maybe get a free throw coach in here. I thought I was a pretty good free throw shooter, but I’m not a good free throw coach.”

Jocularity aside, free throw shooting is a serious issue for Indiana, one that has already burned the Hoosiers once this season.

As IU continues its build-up to the second half of the season, its success rate at the line is a glaring shortcoming that Miller knows he needs to address.

“I’m concerned about free throw shooting,” Miller said. “It’s one of those things where … you understand how valuable the possessions are when you get fouled and go to the line and you either come up short with two, or you miss the front end of a one-and-one. That’s like a turnover. That’s like an empty possession that you didn’t get anything out of.”

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Article from December 2018

Hoosiers struggling to solve free throw woes

As a player, free throws weren’t a problem for Archie Miller.

He was an 84 percent shooter at the line during his time at North Carolina State, making at least 80 percent of his attempts during the four full seasons that he played in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

As a coach — at least at Indiana — free throws aren’t coming as easy.

“When my dad texts me, ‘Hey, you guys better get on a new free throw plan, I say boy, we must be hitting an all-timer if he’s paying attention to it,” a self-deprecating Miller said this week. “We gotta maybe get a free throw coach in here. I thought I was a pretty good free throw shooter, but I’m not a good free throw coach.”

Jocularity aside, free throw shooting is a serious issue for Indiana, one that has already burned the Hoosiers once this season.

As IU continues its build-up to the second half of the season, its success rate at the line is a glaring shortcoming that Miller knows he needs to address.

“I’m concerned about free throw shooting,” Miller said. “It’s one of those things where … you understand how valuable the possessions are when you get fouled and go to the line and you either come up short with two, or you miss the front end of a one-and-one. That’s like a turnover. That’s like an empty possession that you didn’t get anything out of.”

At least there was one good idea in there!

48 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Those few Archie supporters that are still left I just cant imagine that over the past 4 years you have seen anything that is an overwhelming vote of confidence for him. If you can I believe its just because you are very nice people that feel for him or your crimson colored glasses are on way to tight.

<Looking around> It's awfully lonely... :D

I'm not going to go over the same ground I've been trodding since the 1st Northwestern game...Serves no purpose but to make my fingers tired and divide us even more...

I'll wait til it all shakes out...Both coaches and players...

And then we can let the debate begin...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We came out brimming with confidence, and played well...

Rutgers got off the deck and kept challenging us...We became timid and unsure toward the end...I do think fatigue had something to do with it, but it's more a confidence issue to me...Rutgers had some guys that are uber confident (Young, Baker, and Harper) and it's contagious...They kept barking at us, and we let it get in our head...

And I'll ask this...we all see the weight training...maybe need more cardio mixed in? Trayce played hard but you could tell at the end he didn't have anything in the tank...

I thankfully didn't watch this game.  We are 5 months into the season.  Absolutely no reason anyone should be gassed.  I'm starting to wonder if a stomach bug didn't run through the team or something?  Maybe hit Leal and Lander the hardest.  

4 hours ago, rico said:

It is not on the coach on those individual shots but it is on him that the players still can't hit them after 4 years.

Archived