It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Would love to know what amount at this very moment would make Stevens flip to IU. 

If what Dolson is saying is true and only 2 boosters are throwing money in, imagine if we can others involved.

If we needed any further $ to cover the cost, what's to say we can't start a gofundme and have 20,000+ Iu fans throw in too?

It's clear this coaching search has given fans a second life and we all are getting this feeling its make or break time for this program. 

not that i know Stevens, but i don't think this comes down to money

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

That's it though.  Mack is the 'safe' pick, but not the 'winning' pick.  I think Musselman provides the highest ceiling, and Matta would be an intriguing experiment that could pay off big or blow up in our face.  

I'm not even sure Matta could blow up in our face. If he is healthy he is a great hire, if he isn't and we are looking for a new coach in two years when the Celtics fire Brad Stevens then we are in great shape. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iucane said:

After taxes and cost of living, even a rumored raise doesn’t equal the rumored IU offer. This was t about $$

This is where I'm at.  To me, it's a clear indicator that he currently prefers the NBA at this time.  May change in the future, but he has to know that he may not get that IU offer ever again.  So, for him to turn it down, Boston, or more generally, the NBA is what he wants right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Look at it this way.  Two weeks ago, every single person here thought Stevens was a longshot.  So, it didn’t happen.  Now, we can pivot to a number of options that we were still touting on here.  Musselman and Beard are two I’m intrigued by.  Oats is out because of the buyout.  

I will be thrilled with Musselman or Beard. 

• Like 4

Just now, CincyHoosier said:

I know you had ties to the organization at one point.  Did you ever seriously think Stevens would leave the NBA for IU?

I'm not going to lie, I got sucked in over the last day or so, but that was always the one holdup for me. I couldn't imagine Stevens leaving the NBA for college. 

Why would you want to deal with boosters, donors, AAU coaches, recruiting 16-18 year olds and dealing with their people, worrying about college kids not getting grades, etc., etc.

The NBA is just easier. I dont mean the actual coaching and game, but you don't have all that other nonsense. 

I just see Stevens as an NBA coach at this point, and that was always in the back of my mind. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I will be thrilled with Musselman or Beard. 

Regarding Musselman, the link below is a good read on his offense.  Honestly, it sounds like what I like.  Big emphasis on passing. That is huge for me.   I always prefer moving the ball with the pass over dribbling.   He emphasizes pace, but unlike Crean, he’s about doing so without committing many turnovers.

If he can recruit at a high level, he might be a great match here.  He’s got an NBA background and he’s got an attractive style of play so that might play well with recruits.  I think you could get him.  As the son of a coach, he “gets” Indiana basketball as he’s made clear in the past.  

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2019/4/7/18299368/what-eric-musselman-is-bringing-to-fayetteville

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not going to lie, I got sucked in over the last day or so, but that was always the one holdup for me. I couldn't imagine Stevens leaving the NBA for college. 

Why would you want to deal with boosters, donors, AAU coaches, recruiting 16-18 year olds and dealing with their people, worrying about college kids not getting grades, etc., etc.

The NBA is just easier. I dont mean the actual coaching and game, but you don't have all that other nonsense. 

I just see Stevens as an NBA coach at this point, and that was always in the back of my mind. 

This is probably the closest thing to the truth.  I doubt he wants to deal with all the college baggage.  At the end of the day we may never know if he seriously considered it but there did seem to be some real belief from the IU side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding Musselman, this is a good read on his offense.  Honestly, it sounds like what I like.  Big emphasis on passing. That is huge for me.   I always prefer moving the ball with the pass over dribbling.   Likes pace, but unlike Crean, he’s about doing so without committing many turnovers.

If he can recruit at a high level, he might be a great match here.  He’s got an NBA background and he’s got an attractive style of play.  I think you could get him.  As the son of a coach, he “gets” Indiana basketball.  

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2019/4/7/18299368/what-eric-musselman-is-bringing-to-fayetteville

Watched part of their game today.  Believe it or not, I saw J. Smith make some good passes and equally good decisions.  It appears Musselman connected with him a heck of a lot better than Archie ever did,  

• Thanks 1

Regarding Musselman, this is a good read on his offense.  Honestly, it sounds like what I like.  Big emphasis on passing. That is huge for me.   I always prefer moving the ball with the pass over dribbling.   Likes pace, but unlike Crean, he’s about doing so without committing many turnovers.

If he can recruit at a high level, he might be a great match here.  He’s got an NBA background and he’s got an attractive style of play.  I think you could get him.  As the son of a coach, he “gets” Indiana basketball.  

The only really specific thing about a new coach that Dolson has said is that he wants someone who will run a "cutting edge" offense.  One that fans and players would like.  The rest of his statement indicated he was talking about NBA offense.  That would tell me that Musselman much more likely than Beard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agreed. 

I got caught up in the whirlwind fantasy as well, but stepping back, I realize that it was just that: a fantasy. 

We've talked a few times about how the actual product on the floor is worlds better at the NBA level vs college. The NBA is the pinnacle for playing, and I think for coaching as well. It's where the best of the best are, and to make it there means you are one of the absolute greats.

Our collective emotion was completely blinding the obvious. He's a smart man who coaches one of the top teams in the world. Probably not gonna walk away from that when winning an NBA championship is the ultimate litmus test/goal.

• Like 1