It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

For those interested, here’s an article on Beard’s defense.  

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/4/3/18293467/chris-beard-texas-tech-jarrett-culver-final-four-defense

I really think Musselman and Beard are very intriguing names.  We don’t know how high they are on Dolson’s list but we should know fairly soon.

I will say both have recruited transfers well.  What I like is they aren’t willing to sacrifice whole seasons.   Whether they can use the Indiana brand and ratchet up the recruiting is a question.  But we are talking about two highly competent coaches.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Agreed. 

I got caught up in the whirlwind fantasy as well, but stepping back, I realize that it was just that: a fantasy. 

We've talked a few times about how the actual product on the floor is worlds better at the NBA level vs college. The NBA is the pinnacle for playing, and I think for coaching as well. It's where the best of the best are, and to make it there means you are one of the absolute greats.

Our collective emotion was completely blinding the obvious. He's a smart man who coaches one of the top teams in the world. Probably not gonna walk away from that when winning an NBA championship is the ultimate litmus test/goal.

So, how is this different from college football and the NFL, and where does Nick Saban fit into that equation?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

So, how is this different from college football and the NFL, and where does Nick Saban fit into that equation?

Of course there are many, many examples of extremely talented coaches staying/returning to college and being wildly successful. I think if you can coach well, you can coach well. Simple.

That said, the professional ranks are the pinnacle of each respective sport. Kids grow up wanting to "play in the NBA", "play in the NFL", etc. It's where the best of the best reside. And to either play or coach in these ranks, means you're pretty damn good. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per Dolson, he promised that there would be a great upgrade to the HC position with his hire. We are now parsing through these guys and whether they are worthy candidates.

Sure hope whoever ponied up the $10.3 wasn’t sold a bill of goods

Before a few days ago know one thought Stevens was even a possibility so the candidates we thought was realistic is still out there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Of course there are many, many examples of extremely talented coaches staying/returning to college and being wildly successful. I think if you can coach well, you can coach well. Simple.

That said, the professional ranks are the pinnacle of each respective sport. Kids grow up wanting to "play in the NBA", "play in the NFL", etc. It's where the best of the best reside. And to either play or coach in these ranks, means you're pretty damn good. 

I can agree with you on players, but not so much coaches.  Isaiah Thomas, and Randy Whittman coached in the NBA, but no one would consider either of them a better coach than coach Knight, who never coached in the NBA.  Pro sports and college sports are different games that require different skills.   It's been proven time and again that because you are successful at one, it's no guarantee you will be at the other.  I don't think a coach has to be successful at the professional level to be considered one of the greats,

8 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I can agree with you on players, but not so much coaches.  Isaiah Thomas, and Randy Whittman coached in the NBA, but no one would consider either of them a better coach than coach Knight, who never coached in the NBA.  Pro sports and college sports are different games that require different skills.   It's been proven time and again that because you are successful at one, it's no guarantee you will be at the other.  I don't think a coach has to be successful at the professional level to be considered one of the greats,

The difference is though that you always hear of top college coaches either trying pro or being linked to wanting to try pro sports. 

Spurrier, Stevens, Saban, Pitino, Cal, Beilein, Urban Meyer, etc. Its even been questioned whether at some point when they were younger if Izzo or Coach K would try the NBA. 

But, you're never going to hear about Belichick or Popovich, etc. wanting to test themselves in college. 

37 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For those interested, here’s an article on Beard’s defense.  

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/4/3/18293467/chris-beard-texas-tech-jarrett-culver-final-four-defense

I really think Musselman and Beard are very intriguing names.  We don’t know how high they are on Dolson’s list but we should know fairly soon.

I will say both have recruited transfers well.  What I like is they aren’t willing to sacrifice whole seasons.   Whether they can use the Indiana brand and ratchet up the recruiting is a question.  But we are talking about two highly competent coaches.  

Im very intrigued by Musselman and think he will get a payday soon.  He’s not a typical up and comer, assistant coach type guy.  Plus, he coached with Keith Smart before - wonder if he’d consider a reunion.   People claim he’s an offensive guru.  Hes all about building culture - albeit - he can come off a little over the top.   But he’s ALL OVER social media.   So offense + a big personality ... complete 180 from Archie. He’s from Ohio.  Knows the mid west. His dad coached at minny. So he’s very familiar with IU b-ball.  

I know Beard has a GREAT resume, but for some reason, I’m a bit hesitant / overly sensitive.   Probably because he’s a defense-first guy and so was Archie.   

in the end.  Probably can’t go wrong.   But, if word on the street is that IU is willing to pay 7mm+, I wonder if feelers go out to Bennett, Donovan, etc. Most likely not. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Perhaps I didn't explain my position well enough. I'm not suggesting that college coaches cannot be considered "great". Of course they can. And we can use examples until the cows come home from both college and professional of "good" and "bad" coaches and their level of success.

I still maintain that winning at the professional level -- as currently constructed -- is a bigger deal* than at college.

*Objectively speaking in terms of the "basketball food pyramid". (Emotionally and subjectively, I think IU winning another National Championship would be the biggest thing ever, and I would be living on cloud 9 for a long, long time.)

• Like 1