It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The difference is though that you always hear of top college coaches either trying pro or being linked to wanting to try pro sports. 

Spurrier, Stevens, Saban, Pitino, Cal, Beilein, Urban Meyer, etc. Its even been questioned whether at some point when they were younger if Izzo or Coach K would try the NBA. 

But, you're never going to hear about Belichick or Popovich, etc. wanting to test themselves in college. 

here is the problem I have with this and i trust your knowledge of the celtics and feel for the NBA, but when does the leash end? Stevens is in his 8th year & the Celtics just lost by double digits at home to the Kings. I know one game in the NBA is virtually meaningless, but it's still a bad look. Boston isn't going to win the NBA championship this season. I guess you can never say never but odds are long. Is that different next year? Maybe maybe not, but then that's Stevens' 9th year with no titles? Each year that passes by, the emphasis on championships gets greater and greater and greater. Not saying I agree with it, but at what point does the Boston media or Boston ownership say, "The results don't exactly match the hype."? 

Ainge & Co. love the guy that much they are willing to let him go 10-12 years and see what happens?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

The Celtics lost to the Kings. Let me repeat the Kings by 11 and all the Celtics boards are asking IU to raise the price to get Stevens off their hands.

This speaks to my point as well. Let's say Boston wants Stevens gone & Stevens still is so "I'm all in on the NBA". His "I'm a Masshole and a Patriots fan for life." How does that play when his next job is coaching the Timberwolves, Grizzlies, Magic or Kings? It makes him look....odd?

• Like 1

Just now, WanamakerIUFan said:

This speaks to my point as well. Let's say Boston wants Stevens gone & Stevens still is so "I'm all in on the NBA". His "I'm a Masshole and a Patriots fan for life." How does that play when his next job is coaching the Timberwolves, Grizzlies, Magic or Kings? It makes him look....odd?

No.

Those organizations are a mess and would LOVE to have him. If he's let go by Boston at 5pm, he'll have another NBA offer by 5:01pm.

So he’s not taking the IU job, but got a raise from the Celtics? Seems like his wife is a pretty good agent. Sorry, if he really wanted the job, he’d take it. If any of the rumors were true, he was just doing what pros do, playing people against each other to get the best deal. Not saying he wasn’t interested, but he really wasn’t. 

• Like 2

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

No.

Those organizations are a mess and would LOVE to have him. If he's let go by Boston at 5pm, he'll have another NBA offer by 5:01pm.

Agree 100%. That's what I mean though. Those organizations would love to have him but it's an odd look in that those teams are never necessarily going to be relevant due to market size or whatever or that star players don't want to play there & the NBA is a very players driven league. I'm just saying, Stevens could look back over at a 20-year NBA coaching career and not see very much in regards to legacy. 

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m done trying to figure it out.  I’m sure there will be rumors about this being a massive cover up, and I wish it was but I just want to know what went wrong in the last minutes.

I'm with you. I had quite a few sources with this one through my profession and I'm very curious as to what exactly happened. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m done trying to figure it out.  I’m sure there will be rumors about this being a massive cover up, and I wish it was but I just want to know what went wrong in the last minutes.

Could be wrong, but the Masshole/Patriot comment is what makes me think we were all played in this fiasco. In any event, I could care less about the NBA or the NFL for that matter.  I. only care about IU.  

So to hell with Stevens.  Let's see if Dolson can sign Beard. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

here is the problem I have with this and i trust your knowledge of the celtics and feel for the NBA, but when does the leash end? Stevens is in his 8th year & the Celtics just lost by double digits at home to the Kings. I know one game in the NBA is virtually meaningless, but it's still a bad look. Boston isn't going to win the NBA championship this season. I guess you can never say never but odds are long. Is that different next year? Maybe maybe not, but then that's Stevens' 9th year with no titles? Each year that passes by, the emphasis on championships gets greater and greater and greater. Not saying I agree with it, but at what point does the Boston media or Boston ownership say, "The results don't exactly match the hype."? 

Ainge & Co. love the guy that much they are willing to let him go 10-12 years and see what happens?

But the results have matched the hype. The guy has largely been fantastic as the Celtics coach. 3 ECF's in 4 seasons. 

A #1 seed with Isiah Thomas as his best player. Took LeBron to Game 7 in the ECF with Irving and Hayward both injured and the team being led by a rookie Tatum. 

This season is on Ainge way more than Stevens and the ownership group understands that. 

I do agree, at some point you have to get past the ECF. You're not going to coach in Boston for 15 years without getting to the Finals. 

But right now this is on Ainge. Also, we've seen in the NBA that things can change with one trade. I dont love the guy, but if KAT wants out of Minnesota and Ainge can pair him with Tatum? 

That trade might not do it, but just giving an example of how things can change quickly in the NBA. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Maybe IU was never close...to fire Archie and for SD to say what he said at press conference he had to think Stevens was interested....but apparently he never was..🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️..maybe SD dont like massholes.

Edited by HoosierJax

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Who knows at this point. Knowing IU someone probably clogged a toilet or told him to stay with the Celtics.

6 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Could be wrong, but the Masshole/Patriot comment is what makes me think we were all played in this fiasco. In any event, I could care less about the NBA or the NFL for that matter.  I. only care about IU.  

So to hell with Stevens.  Let's see if Dolson can sign Beard. 

I don't think we were played.  As I stated earlier, I truly think the powers to be at IU felt that put an offer out there that he could not refuse.  They went into it thinking that getting the approval to make the offer was the hurdle, and never in their wildest dreams considered that he would turn it down.  It was an offer that 98% or more coaches would have jumped at it,  In the end, Stevens just happened to be in the 2 percentile.  The positive news coming out locally was done in good faith.  If anyone was guilty of anything, it was overconfidence,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Maybe IU was never close...to fire Archie and for SD to say what he said at press conference he had to think Stevens was interested....but apparently he never was..🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️..maybe SD dont like massholes.

I think Stevens was interested enough to give it a listen, and probably talked it over with his family.  In the end, he made the choice that he thought was best for him.  It's all that you can ask of a man.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think Stevens was interested enough to give it a listen, and probably talked it over with his family.  In the end, he made the choice that he thought was best for him.  It's all that you can ask of a man.  

probably the kids did not want to move.

Edited by GaloisGroupe

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I guess...its just really depressing ...i really thought this was are chance at basketball happiness...i was counting 5star recruits and big10 championships..now im just counting sheep to try and sleep

• Like 2

I think it would be good for all of us if the Mods just locked this thread.  The thread title alludes to something that is obviously not going to happen.  And, having it open just gives us a venue to drown our sorrows.  

Taking away the temptation is the most effective way to recovery.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IU247 said:

I mean here is the thing. It seems like other jobs are being filled a week or less after the former coach was fired. 

the fact that we have 

a: not filled it 

B heard no names from anyone about who  IU was interested in is Curious. 

There are plenty of coaches still coaching.  No need to rush this at all.  Plus they’re all in your backyard. You can have a deal done in 24 hours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

There are plenty of coaches still coaching.  No need to rush this at all.  Plus they’re all in your backyard. You can have a deal done in 24 hours. 

Yes.  But I am talking about there being no public reports about us being linked to anybody. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The difference is though that you always hear of top college coaches either trying pro or being linked to wanting to try pro sports. 

Spurrier, Stevens, Saban, Pitino, Cal, Beilein, Urban Meyer, etc. Its even been questioned whether at some point when they were younger if Izzo or Coach K would try the NBA. 

But, you're never going to hear about Belichick or Popovich, etc. wanting to test themselves in college. 

Larry Brown went back and forth many times