It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

Just now, IU247 said:

Yes.  But I am talking about there being no public reports about us being linked to anybody. 

Probably a lot of feelers put out there. I’m sure there was some smoke to them pursuing Stevens.   If it is in fact a closed door, probably have more serious conversations once teams likes Texas Tech, Arkansas, etc finish their seasons.  Those coaches don’t want distractions now - but likley have given a preliminary indication that they’re wiling to sit down and talk after the season.   

I’m sure Dolsons plan A was to get Stevens.  But Im assuming he has a plan B and C.   

And ultimately - this was definitely the year to do it give the free agency off season.    Archie’s brand unfortunately wasn’t attracting national talent.  So on to the next candidate(s).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Perhaps I didn't explain my position well enough. I'm not suggesting that college coaches cannot be considered "great". Of course they can. And we can use examples until the cows come home from both college and professional of "good" and "bad" coaches and their level of success.

I still maintain that winning at the professional level -- as currently constructed -- is a bigger deal* than at college.

*Objectively speaking in terms of the "basketball food pyramid". (Emotionally and subjectively, I think IU winning another National Championship would be the biggest thing ever, and I would be living on cloud 9 for a long, long time.)

NBA is a players league and the stars runs it and not the coach.  In college it is all about the coach

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Brad was never coming and basically made a fool out of the media and our fan base for having to repeat himself. There was one guy on the other site who got some intel and then another so called insider jumped on his info. Lots of false chatter and boom Billy D all over again.

It was more than 2 guys on a message board.  Come on.  This very obviously had some legs on the Indiana side.  This was not a Donovan situation that never got further than fantasyland.   

• Like 3

IU job aside... The raise rumors are strange to me. I find it hard to believe the Celtics are giving him a raise with a losing record.

The ‘mass hole’ comment was the weirdest of weird. I’m a Celtics fan. Not as die hard as I am for IU but some of his comments were off putting. The whole ordeal is just strange. 

I’m still sure IU has its man. Someone was on the hook for this process to take place. I’m just hoping it’s someone that can get it done and not another epic failure.

I was certain a guy like Beard could succeed here. Now, I’m not sure anyone will. I don’t think there is anyone that can come in and excite the fan base anywhere close to the same level as we’ve seen the last 48hrs or so.

A less desirable name will be forgotten over the summer and when November rolls around, the first couple of losses are going to cause fans to question their fandom.

That’s where a big name and proven coach would sell to recruits and fans alike creating hype to sustain a pair of back to back losses without already seeing pitch forks.

After some thought, the only way I think IU is going to get back on track without a guy named Stevens or Donovan is to bring in Pitino to win fast. It may be short lived but can possibly jump start the Brand and point it back in the right direction. I can’t think of another coach with that capability. 

I can’t see any justification in the buyout $ and locker room uncertainty by bringing in Dane Fife or similar. I love Calbert and all that he’s been able to do but in my opinion, it’s too late to go that route.

IU’s brand isn’t going to carry over much further unless the fans stay with it. The older generations see the brand differently than the younger folks.

Similar to what Sage Steel tweeted a few days ago, got to get it right this time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rico said:

Lon Kruger, Rick Pitino

Yeah they are college coaches that wanted to test themselves at the NBA level and then came back to college. Thats what I'm saying, most college coaches want to eventually test their mettle to see if they can coach at the pro level. 

Its rare for a top pro coach to decide (not because he was fired) to leave the pro ranks for college. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

IU job aside... The raise rumors are strange to me. I find it hard to believe the Celtics are giving him a raise with a losing record.

The ‘mass hole’ comment was the weirdest of weird. I’m a Celtics fan. Not as die hard as I am for IU but some of his comments were off putting. The whole ordeal is just strange. 

I’m still sure IU has its man. Someone was on the hook for this process to take place. I’m just hoping it’s someone that can get it done and not another epic failure.

I was certain a guy like Beard could succeed here. Now, I’m not sure anyone will. I don’t think there is anyone that can come in and excite the fan base anywhere close to the same level as we’ve seen the last 48hrs or so.

A less desirable name will be forgotten over the summer and when November rolls around, the first couple of losses are going to cause fans to question their fandom.

That’s where a big name and proven coach would sell to recruits and fans alike creating hype to sustain a pair of back to back losses without already seeing pitch forks.

After some thought, the only way I think IU is going to get back on track without a guy named Stevens or Donovan is to bring in Pitino to win fast. It may be short lived but can possibly jump start the Brand and point it back in the right direction. I can’t think of another coach with that capability. 

I can’t see any justification in the buyout $ and locker room uncertainty by bringing in Dane Fife or similar. I love Calbert and all that he’s been able to do but in my opinion, it’s too late to go that route.

IU’s brand isn’t going to carry over much further unless the fans stay with it. The older generations see the brand differently than the younger folks.

Similar to what Sage Steel tweeted a few days ago, got to get it right this time.

I agree 100%. If they paid 10million to get out ans somehow end up with a “🤷🏻‍♂️“ hire...we will be flat as a pancake until the coach wins.

Maybe that’ll be the silver lining. A lot less will follow the team until there’s a reason to. Everyone will go back to Covid life. 

This sucks.

14 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Stevens would come in and have instant gravitas with the fanbase...none of the other guys on our list are going to get that leeway.  That's reality.  They will get a couple years and if they are not performing they are going to have people fall out quick.

I will be honest, all the names we are talking about appear to be upgrades over Miller, but none of them are exciting IMO.  It just feels like we are snakebit and it is going to be a challenge to get things going around here again.

Today just murdered any optimism I had left.  Anybody they bring in now is probably going to be meh for me.  Hopefully he works out whomever he is but the names being bantered about just don't instill a bunch of confidence in me.  We aren't what we think we are and we are nowhere near where we would like to be.  I don't think that is changing anytime soon.  Might as well hire a Fife at this point because I am at the point where I don't think it matters.  It is a crap shoot, might as well have a low buy in....

I think we died 20 years ago and we are just now finding that out.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Stevens would come in and have instant gravitas with the fanbase...none of the other guys on our list are going to get that leeway.  That's reality.  They will get a couple years and if they are not performing they are going to have people fall out quick.

I will be honest, all the names we are talking about appear to be upgrades over Miller, but none of them are exciting IMO.  It just feels like we are snakebit and it is going to be a challenge to get things going around here again.

Today just murdered any optimism I had left.  Anybody they bring in now is probably going to be meh for me.  Hopefully you work out whomever you are but the bmnames being bantered about just don't instill a bunch of confidence in me.  We aren't what we think we are and we are nowhere near where we would like to be.  I don't think that is changing anytime soon.  Might as well hire a Fife at this point because I am at the point where I don't think it matters.  It is a crap shoot, might as well have a low buy in....

I think we died 20 years ago and we are just now finding that out.

This is exactly how I feel. This morning I was caught up in it so much I was an idiot and got on Amazon and told my wife “I need to update my IU attire!” I ordered several new pieces of clothing and a fresh clean IU flag to fly out of my house. After I got this news I canceled orders totaling $220. 

if I’m pleasantly jacked about whoever we end up with maybe I’ll go back and order a couple things. But I’ve got enough IU gear to support a mediocre program.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

This is exactly how I feel. This morning I was caught up in it so much I was an idiot and got on Amazon and told my wife “I need to update my IU attire!” I ordered several new pieces of clothing and a fresh clean IU flag to fly out of my house. After I got this news I canceled orders totaling $220. 

if I’m pleasantly jacked about whoever we end up with maybe I’ll go back and order a couple things. But I’ve got enough IU gear to support a mediocre program.

Before 3 days ago when it came out that Stevens was a possibility what were you thinking about the coaching search.  We still have the same candidates now than we had then so nothing has really changed.  After we fired Archie no one seriously thought about Stevens being s possibility

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Before 3 days ago when it came out that Stevens was a possibility what were you thinking about the coaching search.  We still have the same candidates now than we had then so nothing has really changed.  After we fired Archie no one seriously thought about Stevens being s possibility

I wasn’t “jacked.” Just taking it all in. Was hoping for a solid hire. It didn’t see anyone who had a “wow” factor. If no talk of stevens had come up, I would’ve probably seen a hire and sold myself as I did with Archie, and got a new shirt and said “let’s give it a whirl and be optimistic.”

I don’t doubt any of the insiders were accurate in what they were hearing, it’s just an problem with it is that it lets all the air out of the balloon. Steven’s was the only grand slam hire. I think there are some triples and doubles remaining. But they’re not worth raising a flag in WI over. 😂 

Hire Beard? Cool! That’s great! I’m pleased :)

I’m not taking my shirt off and painting my chest with and IU.

If we end up with Alford I crap in a brown bag and light it on my own porch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I wasn’t “jacked.” Just taking it all in. Was hoping for a solid hire. It didn’t see anyone who had a “wow” factor. If no talk of stevens had come up, I would’ve probably seen a hire and sold myself as I did with Archie, and got a new shirt and said “let’s give it a whirl and be optimistic.”

I don’t doubt any of the insiders were accurate in what they were hearing, it’s just an problem with it is that it lets all the air out of the balloon. Steven’s was the only grand slam hire. I think there are some triples and doubles remaining. But they’re not worth raising a flag in WI over. 😂 

Hire Beard? Cool! That’s great! I’m pleased :)

I’m not taking my shirt off and painting my chest with and IU.

If we end up with Alford I crap in a brown bag and light it on my own porch.

I would never paint my chest even when we were winning championships

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's clear now that Brad Stevens is an a-hole. 

Dolsen offered to make him the highest paid coach in CBB to come home. 

Stay where you are and we will get someone who wants to be here. 

Brad Stevens is a douchebag.  

Stop. I understand the lashing out but stop attacking people personally. The fan base did it to Bilas, Goodman, among others this past week, because they were saying things we didn’t like. In the end, they were right.  Let’s keep it classy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's clear now that Brad Stevens is an a-hole. 

Dolsen offered to make him the highest paid coach in CBB to come home. 

Stay where you are and we will get someone who wants to be here. 

Brad Stevens is a douchebag.  

He tried to politely say no the first time and we didn’t truly understand that it was a no. He is in the league he wants to be in. It was childhood dream to coach IU but maybe he never dreamed of the NBA until it presented itself to him and he realized should’ve been dreaming of the NBA the whole time. Welp on to the next guy, still need someone proven to lead this program.

First and foremost I’m very grateful HSN is up and running, thanks for all the hard work!

That being said, Stevens would have been epic, but just about any on the list we’ve been seeing is an upgrade over what Coach Miller have us the last 4 years. Keep your heart people, we may just rise from the ashes yet. 

• Like 3