It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

10 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

just danwed on me that he has only said no twice so far right?  5 Fouls said make him say no at least 3 times correct?

Damn straight.  I had to ask my 3rd wife 19 times before she said yes to marriage.  And, when she finally did, it had nothing to do with the fact she was totally smashed and we were in Vegas.  Now, when she asked for the divorce 2 weeks later, I agreed the first time.  I'm easygoing that way.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PritchardPutBack said:

Are you talking about Mike Zarren?? I'm a loser that watches the videos from the MIT Sloan Conference on Youtube and love it when he appears on a panel

Yup, Mike and I used to sometimes share a cubicle in the office. Great guy and a 100% dedicated Celtics lifer. 

• Like 2

Here is the thing. IU has yet to shoot down the brad Stevens rumors even from the start. 

you would think if the brad Stevens rumors were not true they would shoot down the rumors as a way of “expectation setting” for the fanbase.   They have not yet. Which is the 👀👀👀

7 minutes ago, IU247 said:

Here is the thing. IU has yet to shoot down the brad Stevens rumors even from the start. 

you would think if the brad Stevens rumors were not true they would shoot down the rumors as a way of “expectation setting” for the fanbase.   They have not yet. Which is the 👀👀👀

I think this is interesting. What would you imagine IU to say regarding BS? We have not contacted Brad?

Just now, IU247 said:

Or something like that. Yes. 

I kind of think they’d open themselves up to even more criticism that way. Why wouldn’t you reach out if your IU? Is there a believable answer to that? I can’t think of one.
It’s almost more believable (to me) that BS wanted a few more weeks to make a decision so he stiff-armed everyone (the press) to buy time/space to maybe see how his season shakes out. 

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Fun to speculate and I'd love to have Stevens at IU, but I would be very, very surprised if he downshifts back to the college game.  In the words of one of my favorite Yuletide characters...

At this point I'm not even sold on Brad Stevens. Fools gold. I dont want someone who calls himself a masshole.  

Our program is forked.  

25 minutes ago, Hero said:

I kind of think they’d open themselves up to even more criticism that way. Why wouldn’t you reach out if your IU? Is there a believable answer to that? I can’t think of one.
It’s almost more believable (to me) that BS wanted a few more weeks to make a decision so he stiff-armed everyone (the press) to buy time/space to maybe see how his season shakes out. 

Eh. Just have the lawyers write the denial.  
that way it says nothing  without saying a lot.

Off note, IU athletics clearly told the press directly that the Matta rumor was not true.  Article in the paper last night about this so if they really needed to its would not be hard to squash anything out there they felt needed to be squashed.  I personally dont think they need to post anything on any of the coaches and keep it a complete mystery.  Works in their favor to do so, but the Matta thing was so specific and direct i get why they worked through the media to get something out on that.

11 hours ago, IU247 said:

The biggest mystery in all this will be how close the sides were ... if at all?   Did Dolson really secure $10mm to get Stevens?    

Or - did Dolson secure $10mm because there is a free agency off-season and IUs offense was no longer an attractive product nationally and the product/brand was stuck in neutral?   

Or somewhere in between?    

If there were any legs to the Stevens stuff and IU came through, I find it hard to believe he’s the type of guy to use IU for a raise.  Just my opinion.   I’m sure there was mutual interest (and there still could be, nobody knows), but part of me doubts he said “get the money and I’m in .... oh just kidding”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

The biggest mystery in all this will be how close the sides were ... if at all?   Did Dolson really secure $10mm to get Stevens?    

Or - did Dolson secure $10mm because there is a free agency off-season and IUs offense was no longer an attractive product nationally and the product/brand was stuck in neutral?   

Or somewhere in between?    

If there were any legs to the Stevens stuff and IU came through, I find it hard to believe he’s the type of guy to use IU for a raise.  Just my opinion.   I’m sure there was mutual interest (and there still could be, nobody knows), but part of me doubts he said “get the money and I’m in .... oh just kidding”

BS got a raise of undisclosed amount with the contract extension in August. I dont see how at this particular time, with how the C's are doing, he would be able to obtain another raise in 7 months nonetheless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

BS got a raise of undisclosed amount with the contract extension in August. I dont see how at this particular time, with how the C's are doing, he would be able to obtain another raise in 7 months nonetheless. 

Going to be a conspiracy theorist here for a minute. I agree with what you are saying. Maybe a deal with IU waa imminent and Ainge knew he could not keep BS but wanted him to finish season and the IU talk to quit being a distraction.  Hold a pressed saying BS getting a raise have him give a scripted release . That stops the BS to IU talk in press,  the team relaxes they finish the season and then part ways. IU pays a couple of assistants to stay on until new coach is found and if new coach wants to retain them they could. Probably not realistic but something to think about.

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Going to be a conspiracy theorist here for a minute. I agree with what you are saying. Maybe a deal with IU waa imminent and Ainge knew he could not keep BS but wanted him to finish season and the IU talk to quit being a distraction.  Hold a pressed saying BS getting a raise have him give a scripted release . That stops the BS to IU talk in press,  the team relaxes they finish the season and then part ways. IU pays a couple of assistants to stay on until new coach is found and if new coach wants to retain them they could. Probably not realistic but something to think about.

No way Ainge would let him keep coaching if he was leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Conspiracy theory here not what I believe but to go along these lines. Here are a few scenarios. The decision could’ve been mad above Ainge, they don’t like their in house options to lead the team while trying to make the playoffs, or Brad has played Ainge and is waiting until the season is over to leave. 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't discount that entirely. I'm sure Stevens had some sort of a buy out provision making it really expensive for him to leave, so get Ainge to waive that if he stays out the year. As much as I'm convinced Stevens is very much on the hot seat there, they still have hopes for this year, so can't lose your coach mid-year and have any realistic expectations of things working out. Meanwhile, we hire an IU guy (Woodson) to pretend to be coach until then and become an assistant for a while. I'm not so off the deep end to say that it's likely, but it's at least a logical scenario. I'd almost say if you could go back in time to before firing Archie, it's the most logical way to get Stevens here. I'd almost say that.

20 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why not? Is he not going to try his best to win? I'm sure that he would. Is Ainge going to find an unemployed coach mid-season that can do a better job of trying to salvage this season? I'd go the other way and say that if Stevens wanted to leave, Ainge would do all that he could to get him to keep coaching.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I've thought about this too. I'm not saying BS is coming to IU but I'm in the camp that believes there was an awful lot of smoke and things fell apart. But maybe they didn't. Even with all the conspiracy things out of the way, Boston is toast this year and everyone knows it. That's 8 seasons as HC without a title. It's NEVER happened in Celtics history. 

I don't follow the NBA enough to know but is the trajectory of Boston in the next 2-3 years one in which they win titles? Are they better than Philly? Milwaukee? Brooklyn? Heck KenPom has Indiana & Atlanta as better than Boston as I write this. Then there is the West. Are they going to be better than Denver, LAC, LAL, Utah, Phoenix, Portland or even Dallas. Like I say the leash can't be "Hey, BS is our guy & we'll continue on for 20 years no matter what." His seat is warm (at least by media/fans standards) and it's only going to get hotter. 

Brad is a smart guy. If he hasn't applied game theory to his own situation then I'd be shocked. Maybe he really does want to be an NBA executive. If so then all this is moot, but if he really does want to be in coaching, then the timing makes sense to jump unless he's 100% invested in being an NBA coach for the rest of his career.  I guess it could later too, but right now the timing makes sense.

My ultimate nightmare though is BS passes up IU, we move on, and in 2-3 years, the Celtics haven't make a run, BS's seat is ON FIRE and he decides to go back to college when Duke or UNC open up. Yikes.

• Like 1