It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

7 minutes ago, IU247 said:

He would have been paid more than all but one NBA coach and been the highest paid men’s college basketball coach.  

that’s shocking he turned that down 

He's not leaving the NBA. This was the ideal situation for Stevens to come back to the college ranks. If he gets fired by the Celtics (I don't see that happening) he'll get another job in the NBA without doubt. Good for Stevens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The more I think about it I think we dodged a bullet with Stevens.  He isnt worth $70 million.  He took over an already successful mid major program and happened to have some players play above their potential. If he really cared about IU bball no way he turns that offer down. And if you compare BS and Woodys NBA record, only a 10% difference in wins, BS did it with a historically great franchise, and Woody did it with bottom feeders. 

Woody played here, and spent 40 yrs in the NBA and came back and took this job for less than some masshole was offered because he loves IU. With the developments that have happened with coaching staff and AD and new President its difficult to contain my excitement.😬

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

On 3/25/2021 at 1:41 PM, BGleas said:

I dont follow? Eric Gordon was an immediate contributor for the Clippers from day 1. 

Langford has barely played in two seasons.

Damn shame that team had such luck, Gordon was a hell of a player, with a bum wrist. And DJ, bums me out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The more I think about it I think we dodged a bullet with Stevens.  He isnt worth $70 million.  He took over an already successful mid major program and happened to have some players play above their potential. If he really cared about IU bball no way he turns that offer down. And if you compare BS and Woodys NBA record, only a 10% difference in wins, BS did it with a historically great franchise, and Woody did it with bottom feeders. 

Woody played here, and spent 40 yrs in the NBA and came back and took this job for less than some masshole was offered because he loves IU. With the developments that have happened with coaching staff and AD and new President its difficult to contain my excitement.😬

I'm not personally willing to say we dodged a bullet, but I do think there is a chance Woodson and eventually handing it over to Fife could work out better than Stevens. That isn't a knock on Stevens at all, just that I think what we have set up could end up being perfect for what we need. 

• Like 5

If true, Stevens had to do a gut check in the mirror and figured out he didnt have the balls for it. We have the right guy.

I hope Woody wins big and in a couple years goes back and asks for some of that Stevens money he saved them.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If true, Stevens had to do a gut check in the mirror and figured out he didnt have the balls for it. We have the right guy.

I hope Woody wins big and in a couple years goes back and asks for some of that Stevens money he saved them.

It has nothing to do with "balls". He left a great situation at Butler to take over one of the most iconic franchises in sports, in one of the most intense sports media markets, at a time when they were supposed to be in full rebuild mode. 

He ultimately decided the NBA is where he wants to be. 

• Like 3

Only thing I can think of his that the ghost of Bob Knight and how he treated journalists is still alive and well 20+ years later. Every single one of these national idiots try to take a shot at IU. No reason for this sort of information to come out 30 days later other than to create some sort of how much Stevens loves Boston.....and in same thought how much people don't want the IU job.

Wish Brad well. I love our staff. Hopefully this will be the last of the Stevens stuff for years to come.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

3.  I agree with another poster that, looking at this with some distance, he is not worth $10 million a year.  He is a good coach, yes.  However, for that kind of money you need a guy doing what Calipari was doing when he first got to UK.  Championship or bust.  I do not believe that he would be willing to do the things he would need to do in order to earn that money.

Even before that number was reported, I felt that the pressure and expectations for Stevens at IU would have been off the charts. If it was really $10M per year, it would be astronomical.

• Like 2

I think I agree with some of you that the Stevens talk of ever coaching at IU should be done. Now who knows, maybe 10 years down the road if we're in this position again, I'd possibly reconsider him. BUT, if it ever comes to that, there's no way I would ever offer him that kind of money again. At this point, I wouldn't even offer him the same as Calipari or Coach K. He had his chance and passed it up, his loss.

And I also am having a really hard time thinking that he just loves the NBA and Boston that much to turn down that kind of money. I honestly wonder if he didn't want the pressure or expectations. If he ever takes another college job and it isn't IU, I think that will say a lot.

• Like 1

I think it reinforces the good feelings we have.  IU essentially went out and did literally exactly what many of us had argued for repeatedly. And they did it.  They spared no expense.  

So then we pivoted and brought in Woodson, Matta, Fife and company.   We have a stacked staff   Fife is not the coach in waiting officially but if we turn it around big time, he’d become a no brainer hire and we won’t have to worry about another outside search.  I think if we do well, that will be the most popular choice.

Under Dolson we have a guy with a sports background and now we have insight and good thought process coming from the Director of Athletics Department. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think it reinforces the good feelings we have.  IU essentially went out and did literally exactly what many of us had argued for repeatedly. And they did it.  They spared no expense.  

So then we pivoted and brought in Woodson, Matta, Fife and company.   We have a stacked staff   Fife is not the coach in waiting officially but if we turn it around big time, he’d become a no brainer hire and we won’t have to worry about another outside search.  I think if we do well, that will be the most popular choice.

Under Dolson we have a guy with a sports background and now we have insight and good thought process coming from the Director of Athletics Department. 

And it sounds like the new prez has positive feelings about college athletics.  That's refreshing.   😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Only thing I can think of his that the ghost of Bob Knight and how he treated journalists is still alive and well 20+ years later. Every single one of these national idiots try to take a shot at IU. No reason for this sort of information to come out 30 days later other than to create some sort of how much Stevens loves Boston.....and in same thought how much people don't want the IU job.

Anymore I want IU to take the us against the world attitude, the hell with other teams, coaches, journalists and the B1G. Very few of them show IU any respect and are always crapping on the Hoosiers so screw all them. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Anymore I want IU to take the us against the world attitude, the hell with other teams, coaches, journalists and the B1G. Very few of them so IU any respect and are always crapping on the Hoosiers so screw all them. 

Growing up in Northern Illinois I've been that way my entire life. No reason to change now....and like you said I hope the team/school/players embrace that attitude. IU football has that attitude going....who knew all we needed is Nebraska Coach/AD begging to play IU a couple seasons ago in crossover game to really light that motivation up.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

IU football has that attitude going....who knew all we needed is Nebraska Coach/AD begging to play IU a couple seasons ago in crossover game to really light that motivation up

Hopefully what Coach Allen has going on with the football program starts to bleed over into the basketball program.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Growing up in Northern Illinois I've been that way my entire life

Off subject but what part of Northern Illinois? I have family from Ottawa and Streator and also around Peoria.

26 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Hopefully what Coach Allen has going on with the football program starts to bleed over into the basketball program.

Off subject but what part of Northern Illinois? I have family from Ottawa and Streator and also around Peoria.

Born in Chicago and spent time in Elmhurst/Naperville all the way out to QC area. Hit my first home run vs Streator in high school baseball. I downplayed the 25 mph winds we had that day at our backs. Haha.

• Haha 2