It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He was up and down years 1 through 4.  He is a great coach, I said that up front.  However he is a great coach who is 68 years old.  At that age you need him to pay off immediately.  Like you said, that is a hard thing to do.  And recruiting after the first year or two will get tougher.  He is going to be viewed as having 1 foot out the door on day 1, fair or not.

Like I said, I would support the guy but I think that is a really risky hire.  It could pay off or it could be a disaster.

We have no idea how long Beilein wants to coach. He may have 10 years left for all we know. So having one foot out the door is a little unfair. And being that most schools let kids out of LOIs if a coach leaves, there's really not much "risk" to committing to an older coach. Especially with the oversign.

It's not stopping guys like Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, etc from getting their guys. Beilein at Indiana could definitely recruit a winning program.

What "young" coach would you trust more with the program that could win quicker than Beilein. I'd argue the opposite. There's more proof that Beilein can win quicker than a guy like Beard. We hired the "young up and comer" and it bit us in the a$$.

Beilein isn't my first choice, but he's near the top. You can trust him that he's going to make good decisions and keep the program towards the top.

I'm not sure why you think Beilein is "riskier" than any other "young" coach. It's more than likely it'll pay off; he's proven he wins. It could be a disaster? How moreso than any other hire? We hired a 40'ish year old "up and comer" and I'd say that was a disaster. So why would Beilein be any more of a risk?

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

We have no idea how long Beilein wants to coach. He may have 10 years left for all we know. So having one foot out the door is a little unfair. And being that most schools let kids out of LOIs if a coach leaves, there's really not much "risk" to committing to an older coach. Especially with the oversign.

It's not stopping guys like Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, etc from getting their guys. Beilein at Indiana could definitely recruit a winning program.

What "young" coach would you trust more with the program that could win quicker than Beilein. I'd argue the opposite. There's more proof that Beilein can win quicker than a guy like Beard. We hired the "young up and comer" and it bit us in the a$$.

Beilein isn't my first choice, but he's near the top. You can trust him that he's going to make good decisions and keep the program towards the top.

I'm not sure why you think Beilein is "riskier" than any other "young" coach. It's more than likely it'll pay off; he's proven he wins. It could be a disaster? How moreso than any other hire? We hired a 40'ish year old "up and comer" and I'd say that was a disaster. So why would Beilein be any more of a risk?

You better look at how "fast" Beard got TT running.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

You better look at how "fast" Beard got TT running.

Tubby's last season, they finished 19-13. And they were young. Chris Beard inherited a good team.

So look at Tubby's last year (19-13) and look at Chris Beard's wins and losses at Texas Tech. Is it a WHOLE lot better?

I'm not saying Chris would be or is a bad coach. Winning at Texas Tech isn't a cakewalk. But to say Beard got Texas Tech "running" is a bit of a stretch. He's kept them going, and that is certainly something to tip your cap to.

Chris Beard should definitely be looked at. No doubt. But Beilein has shown he can turn dumpster fires around. Michigan was terrible when he took over. Chris took over a pretty good TT squad.

8 minutes ago, ephul said:

Tubby's last season, they finished 19-13. And they were young. Chris Beard inherited a good team.

So look at Tubby's last year (19-13) and look at Chris Beard's wins and losses at Texas Tech. Is it a WHOLE lot better?

I'm not saying Chris would be or is a bad coach. Winning at Texas Tech isn't a cakewalk. But to say Beard got Texas Tech "running" is a bit of a stretch. He's kept them going, and that is certainly something to tip your cap to.

Chris Beard should definitely be looked at. No doubt. But Beilein has shown he can turn dumpster fires around. Michigan was terrible when he took over. Chris took over a pretty good TT squad.

History revisionist?  Michigan was a dumpster fire?  BS.  They were 22-13 the year before Beilein got there.  They were 22-11 the year before that.  You are mistaken as to the condition of the program.  No dumpster fire...just "under achieving" is why Amaker was let go.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ephul said:

Not feeling the argue vibes at the moment.  I will still support him if he is picked.  We just disagree on him being the optimal pick.

Hopefully, it doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

In your opinion, if we get BS would TK reconsider us?

Not sure how his LOI would work. 

Edit: He probably would be interested though. I do not buy the "I went to PU for physics" nonsense. IU has an excellent physics department.

Come Home Brad.

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Thanks 1

If we don't hear something by the end of this weekend. We are not looking at a Stevens hire or a Beilein hire. Definitely looking at someone still coaching. No reason not to announce someone that is not in the tournament. Steven don't have to worry about his players leaving or something like. NBA is nothing but a business. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

If we don't hear something by the end of this weekend. We are not looking at a Stevens hire or a Beilein hire. Definitely looking at someone still coaching. No reason not to announce someone that is not in the tournament. Steven don't have to worry about his players leaving or something like. NBA is nothing but a business. 

Yeah Danny Ainge would've known by now.  No way he allows Brad to keep coaching.  Something breaks by the end of tomorrow or it was another hoax.

49 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

This x1000000

I absolutely believe everything the insiders are saying.  And I know we're not talking teenagers here but it goes back to Mile's Jared Jeffries analogy.  Anything could always change last minute.  Heck as a Colts fan sometimes after it's announced it still changes (at least that time it was for the better).  

Mile and CC..... How happy would they be if BS does come to IU????

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah Danny Ainge would've known by now.  No way he allows Brad to keep coaching.  Something breaks by the end of tomorrow or it was another hoax.

I'm leaving for the "Happiest Place on Earth" tomorrow, Disney World. If there isn't an announcement made today, I'll be checking this thread like every 5 minutes.....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cybergates said:

In your opinion, if we get BS would TK reconsider us?

If it would have happened last year he quite possibly would have chosen IU instead.  But, he's already signed a LOI and Purdue would have to release him, which they would not do.  And, he would not want to sit out a year to transfer. 

Plus, he has a good relationship with Painter.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I find it really strange nothing has leaked, UNLESS, Stevens is deciding today on the proposed offer

His wife is his agent right?  I think the agents are usually the ones that leak.  On the Boston side there may be only a handful of people dealing with it.  Ainge and the owner.  The IU side is leaking like a sieve right now.  Then on Stevens side it is just he and Tracy.  The IU circle appears to have the most people involved to leak and they are leaking like crazy.  But the people pushing it are on boards like ours and journalists are not going out on a limb based on that.

That's my read of the situation.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm leaving for the "Happiest Place on Earth" tomorrow, Disney World. If there isn't an announcement made today, I'll be checking this thread like every 5 minutes.....

I think I mentioned it on the other board, but Brad better announce soon or the productivity lost in the state of Indiana due to people waiting will create a mini-regionalized recession...

• Haha 4