It's time.... HIRE BRAD STEVENS!

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

The one thing I wonder is the Celtics are one of the top franchises in professional sports. But the NBA is not a league of loyalty nor one where people last long much less a whole career in one place. Stevens may love Boston but when it comes to an end...and it will...does he want to jump to the next nba team and town...chasing a paycheck? The thing about IU is that is a career job. One you coach 20 years at. I mean NBA fires or let’s go of HOF coaches all the time. Heck coach of the year winners get fired. Maybe he just prefers that lifestyle and coaching those type of players but man I would hate not having that same security. A league also influenced by its stars. What if tomorrow Tatum demands a trade if he doesn’t get a new coach. Stevens is gone...just like that. He must really be done with college all together to pass up this opportunity.

BGleas brought up an interesting point on the BTB board.  Possibly Stevens has his future sights on an executive position within the Celtics organization... like President/Coach.  This would be after Ainge retires.  He's 62.  Just a thought on things Stevens might have been weighing.  He does come across as a businessman.  JMHO

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

BGleas brought up an interesting point on the BTB board.  Possibly Stevens has his future sights on an executive position within the Celtics organization... like President/Coach.  This would be after Ainge retires.  He's 62.  Just a thought on things Stevens might have been weighing.  He does come across as a businessman.  JMHO

It's just a guess of where I could see this going. I've brought it up here too. 

But Ainge is getting a tad older, has had some health issues and has a ton of grandkids. 

I could see him mutually agreeing to retire at some point and Stevens moving into a President of BBall Ops/Coach role. 

The Celtics GM (not sure if that his title. We actually used to share a cubicle) is one of the smartest cap guys in the NBA (he's an MIT guy) so that piece would be covered. 

Stevens could be like a sort of Popvich. I could completely see him in that role. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But Ainge is getting a tad older, has had some health issues and has a ton of grandkids. 

I could see him mutually agreeing to retire at some point and Stevens moving into a President of BBall Ops/Coach role. 

The Celtics GM (not sure if that his title. We actually used to share a cubicle) is one of the smartest cap guys in the NBA (he's an MIT guy) so that piece would be covered. 

Stevens could be like a sort of Popvich. I could completely see him in that role. 

Sorry!  Didn't know you'd brought this up already.  It just makes sense to me, in so many ways.  Thanks!

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

62 is very young for a front office position imo. Obviously Ainge has Stevens back for sure. That said I’d be nervous in today’s player run league.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

62 is very young for a front office position imo. Obviously Ainge has Stevens back for sure. That said I’d be nervous in today’s player run league.

It is still young, but he has had some health issues and he has a ton of grandkids. He's also obviously running the Celtics in Boston, you all know I love Boston, but it's still Boston which isn't like running a team in Miami, Phoenix or LA. Freezing cold winters, tons of snow, etc., etc.

I could see him retiring early to enjoy family and warm weather. It's just a guess, he could also stay there for the long haul. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is still young, but he has had some health issues and he has a ton of grandkids. He's also obviously running the Celtics in Boston, you all know I love Boston, but it's still Boston which isn't like running a team in Miami, Phoenix or LA. Freezing cold winters, tons of snow, etc., etc.

I could see him retiring early to enjoy family and warm weather. It's just a guess, he could also stay there for the long haul. 

Yes. This. My dad grew up on the Boston  side of CT so I was raised with Boston sports. It’s also a hell hole of media market, which can age anyone in decades.  It’s why the press hates BB because he doesn’t take shit from them and gives it right back. 

Hell hole press+ extreme pressure can cause anyone to burn out. 

Edited by IU247
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Possibly. I think Ainge wants to go down in Boston lore. He needs a couple more championships for that. But you know that situation more than me. Ainge just seems like a lifer to me. Like Riley. That said I could see them groom Stevens for the position. He is definitely smart enough for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Possibly. I think Ainge wants to go down in Boston lore. He needs a couple more championships for that. But you know that situation more than me. Ainge just seems like a lifer to me. Like Riley. That said I could see them groom Stevens for the position. He is definitely smart enough for it.

I just thought it was an interesting angle that I certainly hadn't considered in light of what took place, even though it's total speculation, as BGleas said.

• Like 2

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31109722/marcus-smart-says-boston-celtics-recently-held-team-meeting-spur-turnaround

This article struck me as somewhat interesting. I know we've all pretty much moved on from this conversation given what Stevens himself has said, but if he's only told Dolson "no" once.........Still think there was entirely too much smoke to dismiss this outright. 

6 hours ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31109722/marcus-smart-says-boston-celtics-recently-held-team-meeting-spur-turnaround

This article struck me as somewhat interesting. I know we've all pretty much moved on from this conversation given what Stevens himself has said, but if he's only told Dolson "no" once.........Still think there was entirely too much smoke to dismiss this outright. 

just danwed on me that he has only said no twice so far right?  5 Fouls said make him say no at least 3 times correct?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/20/2021 at 5:46 PM, BADGERVOL said:

And when anyone says “it’s a done deal” wait until you see a press conference.”

Exactly!!......When Chris007 and IUwins0708 were saying that about Brad,.... all they were doing was relaying what their sources GAVE THEM PERMISSION to do.

Things can always turn a different direction at the blink on an eye. Those guys who have OBVIOUS and CREDIBLE IU connections have not lost one ounce of my trust and support. This is a two way business....

In hind site,....from now on, a proclaimed, “done deal” should only be worth it’s weight when Dolson publicly says so.
The point I’m getting at is this,.....It appeared to be a “done deal” between BOTH parties until a statement was released (I paraphrase), something similar to...“It’s up to Brad now”......That’s where it all went south and the Boston got involved....

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:20 PM, BGleas said:

Are you talking about Mike Zarren?? I'm a loser that watches the videos from the MIT Sloan Conference on Youtube and love it when he appears on a panel

• Like 1