NCAA Tournament!

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This game reminds me of our game in Champaign. They were coming off some 90 point games and we ground them down into a slower game like this.  Loyola is just a better team than we are.  

We really could have swept them.  in that second game we were in OT and Ayo fouled out and we lost with Durham up top with the ball and Franklin hiding in the corner. 

I never bought into Illinois as a one seed.  It might not be popular but the B1G was very balanced and deep but not particularly elite at the top although I do like Michigan.  Iowa got a good draw so let’s see what they do but we will see how the conference does.  

I am a long time Big Ten fan, but the conference was overvalued IMO this year. 9 teams into big dance was partly because of the experts repeating a narrative most of ghe season:  “clearly the premier conf in the country.”   May be tops in wrestling in the paint, but seems to me there was a lack of really good shooters and strong PGs. Not a huge surprise Ill, PU got beat.   Spartans were a joke.  Hoosiers, luckily, had no opportunity to embarrass the league in tourney.  

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

B1G was an imposter.  NCAA is about elite guard play....especially point guards...and the B1G is weak on that front...look at us with Rob.

I think Rob is an epitome of Archie's failure. I believe Rob came to IU with good amount of talent and potential; he was one of the top dogs in Indiana high school in his class. Archie failed to groom him, and that's just something I don't get it. Archie was a freakin' point guard himself. 

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, the league is putting in an epic choke job this year.  So overrated....

It’s why Dolson is right about the nba style. While the B1G is plodding along with slow down post up big man banging basketball the rest of college basketball is running up and down and shooting 3s and whipping our butts.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This game reminds me of our game in Champaign. They were coming off some 90 point games and we ground them down into a slower game like this.  Loyola is just a better team than we are.  

We really could have swept them.  in that second game we were in OT and Ayo fouled out and we lost with Durham up top with the ball and Franklin hiding in the corner. 

I never bought into Illinois as a one seed.  It might not be popular but the B1G was very balanced and deep but not particularly elite at the top although I do like Michigan.  Iowa got a good draw so let’s see what they do but we will see how the conference does.  

Didn’t we beat Loyola in preseason/unofficial game?

Just look at the few B1G schools that have made runs in the tourney. Purdue with elite point guard play. Michigan st with elite point guard play. Michigan with elite guard play. OSU and Illinois did when they had elite guards...the bigger, slower, more physical the league the worse it’s done.

16 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I think Rob is an epitome of Archie's failure. I believe Rob came to IU with good amount of talent and potential; he was one of the top dogs in Indiana high school in his class. Archie failed to groom him, and that's just something I don't get it. Archie was a freakin' point guard himself. 

Kinda makes me wonder how Archie would have done if he had brought McKinley Wright with him. 

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Kinda makes me wonder how Archie would have done if he had brought McKinley Wright with him. 

Right. I would've love to see that too. My guess is McKinley would've done better than Rob because of his seemingly strong personality. Rob's issue was, I think, mostly mental. Archie turned out to be not a good mentor for his players. 

3 minutes ago, John S said:

Agree 100%.  I also am impressed with BU shooting 15 footers at a high %.  Dont see much in Big Ten.   

They play with tempo and push the ball even off of makes. They take a lot of quick but good jumpers. It would be an exciting game....not sure it will happen but it would be maybe the most up and down finals we’ve seen in a long time. 90s probably.

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There would have been an uproar that he brought in a guy ranked #229 (247 composite)

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Question remains would Wright have developed under Archie the same or not. Also Romeo likely would not have come as he was good friends with Rob.

5 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Right. I would've love to see that too. My guess is McKinley would've done better than Rob because of his seemingly strong personality. Rob's issue was, I think, mostly mental. Archie turned out to be not a good mentor for his players. 

Interesting to look back now. I remember it was seen that we kinda “stole” Rob from Purdue’s back yard, and after his freshman year, seemed like a great get. Meanwhile, McKinley would have been just what we needed this year. ‘Course, he probably would have lost the ability to shoot when he stepped on the court if he had come here. 

Archived