NCAA Tournament!

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One other thing I'll add. Watching Oregon St/Loyola yesterday. Oregon St came out in zone and Loyola offense looked completely different. Krutwig couldn't facilitate at will from the top.

Few of my Illini buddies were more upset yesterday watching zone shut down Loyola because Underwood should have switched early on in their game.

Not that simple in a 40 hour turn around. Prep time is minimal. 

That's great that that worked for OSU.. that isn't apples to apples that it would have worked for ILL. Also.. OSU at least played some zone in the first game vs UT.. their kids had done it. 

Had ILL played any zone all year?

Lazy take by ILL fans. Lazy. 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Not that simple in a 40 hour turn around. Prep time is minimal. 

That's great that that worked for OSU.. that isn't apples to apples that it would have worked for ILL. Also.. OSU at least played some zone in the first game vs UT.. their kids had done it. 

Had ILL played any zone all year?

Lazy take by ILL fans. Lazy. 

In game adjustments are lazy takes? I'll have to disagree with you on that. Loyola drove and scored at will with Kofi sagging.....if I was a coach I'd make an adjustment.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In game adjustments are lazy takes? I'll have to disagree with you on that. Loyola drove and scored at will with Kofi sagging.....if I was a coach I'd make an adjustment.

You can't just say "zone would have worked". But yeah.. in game adjustments are pretty overrated.  Players play.  

I'm saying OSU did a great job of prep. 

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Pretty cool full page article on Hinkle Fieldhouse in Sunday’s NYT. Love that it features a Michael Lewis quote at the top. 

06973FDB-BF41-44AA-B785-DF9F8C0EADE3.jpeg

I know it probably won't ever happen....but have heard more than a few out of towners say they should just move the tourney to Indy every year. So many fans and media have expressed how cool it is (even during Covid times) they can watch 2-3 games a day in person. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know it probably won't ever happen....but have heard more than a few out of towners say they should just move the tourney to Indy every year. So many fans and media have expressed how cool it is (even during Covid times) they can watch 2-3 games a day in person. 

Indy has such a good vibe for games and tournaments. I would be down with this!

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Houston is an example where teams win with defense.  I bet if they get to the final 4 it will probably be the worst shooting teams to ever make it.  There overall and 3 point percentage is all above #200

They make 3.5 more 3s a game than their opponent. They're top 50 in overall PPG. 

They avg 5 more off rebounds per game than the other team. They shoot 10 more shots a game than the other team. 

Much more than just "defense." 

33 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Man it sucks what happened with Sampson while he was here, we might have had our 6th championship by now. It looks like he has a good chance at the Final Four.

Coaching has never been his problem. Just always seems like a matter of time until he gets caught cheating again. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It is, and their defense is relentless. However, Pikiell choked in the last 3 minutes otherwise Houston is on the sidelines 

That's a fact.  My brother and I sat there, in person, in amazement.  Everyone around us was like what is going on.  I looked at Pikiell (who I actually love for my brother and sister in laws alma mater) just kneeled.  No coaching, no subbing in offense/defense like a high school coach would.  No subbing in his shooters down 3 with 15 seconds.  

Archived