2022 WR Omar Cooper Commits to Indiana

KDB

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I understand that but saying a team like WVU should not get an in state kid over IU.  I understand if they pick up football programs but WVU isn't a top program

Lol have you ever been to a WVU game? Morgantown is LEGIT. 

We cannot seriously think we're to a point where we waltz in and just automatically get a recruit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

These instate recruits weren’t likely to grow up die hard Hoosier fans. It takes years of sustained success to achieve that status with in state kids. Sometimes kids just want to go somewhere new and have an experience. We have a ways to go as a program before IU is too big a deal to turn down to have that experience. 

I think playing time would be the biggest thing if he turns us down. 

If I were a betting man, I'd still feel confident saying Hoosiers though. 

9 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

West Virginia is one of the most successful college programs of all time. Arguably the best program without a championship. 

If Cooper would pick West Virginia there is no shame in losing a recruit to them. Like you said they have had a lot of success through the years. 👍

• Like 1

We have a few guys we're recruiting who are looking at WVU. Cooper and Spells might both be down to us and them. There are a few other guys too who aren't that far along in their recruitment.

I don't really have any issue with them, so if we lose recruits, I'd much rather they go to WVU than PU, Illinois, Michigan, PSU, MSU, OSU, anybody in the SEC. You get the idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVU is a really good program, and Morgantown is a great college atmosphere,  but I would contend with CTA being a media darling and the momentum and culture we have now, it would be a surprise for an Indy kid to choose WVU over us.

Especially when his 4 star high school qb is already there.  Never underestimate familiarity and favoritism of a qb for a trusted receiver. Not to mention the psychological impact of having an older friend/teammate you looked up to already at IU.  Then you add in the ability of friends and family to watch you play, along with post playing day job opportunities. No guarantees,  but I like our chances.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think playing time would be the biggest thing if he turns us down. 

If I were a betting man, I'd still feel confident saying Hoosiers though. 

I agree. I’ve said this before, he’d have one heck of a leg up with McCulley. This kid looks special on film so playing time shouldn’t be an issue at either school

The other thing about West Virginia is they have recruited talent-rich South Florida very well for years.  Allen’s staff is doing a great job there now, but this is relatively new.  I’m really happy with what we are doing there now and hopefully we keep it up.  I don’t think there is a better metropolitan area for high school recruits than Miami/Ft Lauderdale (Dade/Broward).  Not Dallas, not Houston, not Tampa, not Atlanta, not Los Angeles, nobody.  It’s a big plus that we are getting a foothold in there.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Apparently he’s been liking about WVU stuff lately on Twitter per BTB

I wouldn't read anything into that. He's got a ton of different things he's retweeted. A couple of them just happened to be a guy who committed to WVU, and one that was a WVU article about him.