It's time...HIRE CHRIS BEARD

What I like about Beard, his teams are ready to battle.  They aren’t walking into an arena in the B1G afraid to compete HARD.  We haven’t had that consistently over the past 17 years.  But Beard’s teams will test everyone’s mettle.  His defense is well set up.  I think he runs motion but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.   

Honestly, I think he’s very comparable to Tony Bennett in terms of quality as a coach.  I hope he’s high on our radar.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What I like about Beard, his teams are ready to battle.  They aren’t walking into an arena in the B1G afraid to compete HARD.  We haven’t had that consistently over the past 17 years.  But Beard’s teams will test everyone’s mettle.  His defense is well set up.  I think he runs motion but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.   

Honestly, I think he’s very comparable to Tony Bennett in terms of quality as a coach.  I hope he’s high on our radar.  

Bob,

I watched the TT game today specifically to see if I could tell the type of coach Beard has become.  I saw a very tough minded, smart, gritty style of BB.  No more mass substitution like we've seen under our past 2 coaches.  When his team was down his best scorer had to sit for Fouls.  The team responded with a run and took the lead.  He continued with the players thru a TO to let them complete the run.  I sas a lot of motion and VERY LITTLE standing on O.  Good solid screens and the drivers used them the screens appropriately.  D was Man-Man and a lot of pressure on the ball and interrupting passing lanes.  Very tenacious and intense.

Overall, very enjoyable BB to watch and very reminiscent of the good ol' days under CBK.  Only real difference was compared to old days was MUCH MORE up tempo.  The TT player constantly sprinted on O and D.  Many fastbreak opportunities as a result.  I think Beard has become my next target if I'm Dolson.  I REALLY enjoyed watching them play today. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Bob,

I watched the TT game today specifically to see if I could tell the type of coach Beard has become.  I saw a very tough minded, smart, gritty style of BB.  No more mass substitution like we've seen under our past 2 coaches.  When his team was down his best scorer had to sit for Fouls.  The team responded with a run and took the lead.  He continued with the players thru a TO to let them complete the run.  I sas a lot of motion and VERY LITTLE standing on O.  Good solid screens and the drivers used them the screens appropriately.  D was Man-Man and a lot of pressure on the ball and interrupting passing lanes.  Very tenacious and intense.

Overall, very enjoyable BB to watch and very reminiscent of the good ol' days under CBK.  Only real difference was compared to old days was MUCH MORE up tempo.  The TT player constantly sprinted on O and D.  Many fastbreak opportunities as a result.  I think Beard has become my next target if I'm Dolson.  I REALLY enjoyed watching them play today. 

He would be a wise choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The more I roll all this over in my mind, the more I think Beard is the, “don’t over think this candidate.”  We can do some mental gymnastics to reach other conclusions, but if we don’t overthink it, I think he might be the guy. For now anyway, he and Musselman are my top two.  

I always knew you were a smart guy. 

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thanks for that.  It pumped me up.  He sure as heck didn’t shut the door in any way and he could have.  Come on Scott, let’s go. 

• Like 1

I like Beard. Seems he would bring the fire and passion we thought we would see from Archie but never did. Looks like he gets the fight out of his players. I think he’d understand what being at IU is all about and realize the expectations. His comments after their tournament win were funny too....”I want to thank Mr. Lunardi. He never picks us and our guys kind of feed off this....Not sure if he got a speeding ticket in Lubbock back in the day or whatever, but we made a run in the last tournament and we intend to make a run again.” 

• Like 1

Just food for thought...

“Who would ever think that a coach would up and leave 10 days after signing a contract?” Kunzer-Murphy said “It was the right decision for him, but it was heartbreaking for those of us who love UNLV athletics. He really was the right coach for us, but it didn’t turn out that way.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ed-graney/unlv-basketball-lost-chris-beard-with-one-call-from-texas-tech-1634492/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/how-texas-tech-poached-chris-beard-from-unlv-setting-two-programs-on-divergent-paths-015036321.html

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Bob,

Should listen to his interviews on Colin Cowherd and Dan Patrick etc. guy is funny and has an energetic personality...but also smart and seems to really understand the current state of college basketball with transfers and talks about how it’s become more about roster management then anything.

• Like 5

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, FWIUFan said:

Bob,

This

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Thanks and welcome to the board!

Sure I'm enjoying it I remember watching his final four team and just being impressed by how well coached his team seemed then and they look the same now. I agree with what someone said earlier hes sort of the let's not over think this obvious fit