It's time...HIRE CHRIS BEARD

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If it is any of the IU guys I will back him and hope they bring back that IU culture.  I will know that if it is the case and this is who we hire I will stop coming to these boards.  I know how this fan base will react and it will not be pretty on how they will rip it.

Listen, we should back whoever gets hired. I agree with you there. But come on, in terms of the perception of the hire Woodson would be a massive failure. This wouldn't be remotely the same as Juwan Howard/Michigan. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Listen, we should back whoever gets hired. I agree with you there. But come on, in terms of the perception of the hire Woodson would be a massive failure. This wouldn't be remotely the same as Juwan Howard/Michigan. 

And Juwan Howard was a desperation hire after Beilein bolted. I'd rather have Fife or Lewis, honestly. Woodson is an NBA lifer.

Edited by Sea Turtle

3 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

And Juwan Howard was a desperation hire after Beilein bolted. I'd rather have Fife or Lewis, honestly. Woodson is an NBA lifer.

The problem would be the timing too. I don't know that I believe this yet, but let's just say it is Woodson. That would tell me Dolson was always going the "IU guy" route. 

He swung for Stevens knowing he had to and that it was a long shot, but the timing would mean he never moved on to Beard, Musselman, Oats, etc. That it was always going to be an IU guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Only real lateral hires are like Woodson, Mack, Enfield and Mike White peegs allegedly mentioned recently.   I’m sure I’m missing a couple.  Do any of those guys run a dynamic system Dolson wants that would attract recruits nationally?

I believe Enfield does. I could be talked into him. Maybe White.

How do Beard or Musselman not even get spoken to if Woodson is locked in?  This would be brutal.  I could see Texas beating IU to the punch for Beard, but Muss would deserve a conversation at least?    

Unless there were heavy strings attached to the buyout money. 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

How do Beard or Musselman not even get spoken to if Woodson is locked in?  This would be brutal.  I could see Texas beating IU to the punch for Beard, but Muss would deserve a conversation at least?    

Texas would have to pay around $20 million buyout for Beard

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

This is the kind of thing I was wondering. Dolson said he was a process guy.

What kind of a ‘process’ takes you from target #1 to a seemingly much lower target?

28 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

It should be ripped.  It is a very crappy hire.  

How is a  crappy hire since no hire has been made.  Just because some random guy on a message board speculates something might happen doesn't make it true.  36 hours ago everyone said Stevens to IU is a done deal and that was false.  I know all fan bases can be bad but I am just sick and tired of how this fans react to every little thing that is mentioned on here.  If it is an Indiana guy or not, whoever the next coach is needs the full support of the fan no matter who it is.  Lets get back to being the best fan base in the country and not be like the fan base to the south.

1 minute ago, BankShot said:

This is the kind of thing I was wondering. Dolson said he was a process guy.

What kind of a ‘process’ takes you from target #1 to a seemingly much lower target?

There were two reads on Dolson (not from me):

1) he’s the absolute right man for the job

2) he’s a puppet

its Possible the buyout money had a very short and specific list 

• Haha 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

How is a  crappy hire since no hire has been made.  Just because some random guy on a message board speculates something might happen doesn't make it true.  36 hours ago everyone said Stevens to IU is a done deal and that was false.  I know all fan bases can be bad but I am just sick and tired of how this fans react to every little thing that is mentioned on here.  If it is an Indiana guy or not, whoever the next coach is needs the full support of the fan no matter who it is.  Lets get back to being the best fan base in the country and not be like the fan base to the south.

Sorry it would be a crappy hire. You hire a 62 year old with no experience in recruiting and building a roster? One that is only an assistant.  Dolson built this up.  It’s his fault. Woodson doesn’t even know what a recruiting cycle is yet and why college coaches jump to the pros when they can.  

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again I am not going to jump to conclusion just because a few guys on a message boards says something.  It has been proven over and over again that they bat less than 50%

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again I am not going to jump to conclusion just because a few guys on a message boards says something.  It has been proven over and over again that they bat less than 50%

Completely agree with that. But at this point we're now discussing the reaction and what we think would happen if this does come true. 

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

There were two reads on Dolson (not from me):

1) he’s the absolute right man for the job

2) he’s a puppet

its Possible the buyout money had a very short and specific list 

From the sound of it that a lot of former players have been getting together and letting people know they want an IU guy.  I am sure a lot of boosters who donate huge money are of the older generation that wants to see IU get back to how it use to be ran.  to me I care more about the former players who actually made IU great thinks than what some fans on a message board thinks.  They have been disgusted what the last 4 coaches has done to the program and are embarrassed at what IU basketball has become.  Hillman said the other night he totally lost any respect he had for Archie when RMK came back to Assembly Hall.  He said Archie should had have the players out on the court to see what IU basketball was all about.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree with that. But at this point we're now discussing the reaction and what we think would happen if this does come true. 

Other fans can do whatever they like and if they want to get rid of their tickets they can give the to me.  I think it is time to bring an IU guy who knows what IU basketball represents and how you can win at at Indiana.  At IU it is more than just being a good coach with good X and O's.  It is about promoting IU and getting out there with the fans and let them know you understand what IU basketball is all about.  I think how AH was on the day when RMK back is how we need AH to be again.

I just think that if no one would have said anything about Stevens people would not be as upset.  Most realized that Stevens would probably never really consider IU so we shouldn't let it interfere with the actual search for a coach.  Woodson wouldn't me my choice because I would go with smart first f it is  an IU guy.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

From the sound of it that a lot of former players have been getting together and letting people know they want an IU guy.  I am sure a lot of boosters who donate huge money are of the older generation that wants to see IU get back to how it use to be ran.  to me I care more about the former players who actually made IU great thinks than what some fans on a message board thinks.  They have been disgusted what the last 4 coaches has done to the program and are embarrassed at what IU basketball has become.  Hillman said the other night he totally lost any respect he had for Archie when RMK came back to Assembly Hall.  He said Archie should had have the players out on the court to see what IU basketball was all about.

Yes, agree on what I think both major points are...

- There could’ve been a strings associated with the buy out

- Former players could be voicing their opinions or displeasure

But I guess my thinking is shouldn’t the objective be still to hire the best possible candidate?

And I’m not knocking Mike Woodson at all...he’s clearly an IU legend. But is he the best possible candidate?

I was also shocked that none of the coaches would even give AJ Guyton a look as an assistant. If that is the case though the players said they would like Beard and also the said Beilein would be a good hire. From that podcast Woodson was never even brought up from what I can remember. 

Fair. I understand that. But how is Woodson such a consideration and Smart not being rumored? Smart is 6-7 years younger, so wouldn’t that be a longer term solution? Is Woodson that much better?   

also couldn’t a coach like musselman who coached with smart or beard who is best friends with Pat Knight help bridge the gap with former players somehow?

• Like 1