It's time...HIRE CHRIS BEARD

2 minutes ago, BankShot said:

Yes, agree on what I think both major points are...

- There could’ve been a strings associated with the buy out

- Former players could be voicing their opinions or displeasure

But I guess my thinking is shouldn’t the objective be still to hire the best possible candidate?

And I’m not knocking Mike Woodson at all...he’s clearly an IU legend. But is he the best possible candidate?

I think they have seen what thye have been doing the last 21 years have not worked then why not try something different

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Fair. I understand that. But how is Woodson such a consideration and Smart not being rumored? Smart is 6-7 years younger, so wouldn’t that be a longer term solution? Is Woodson that much better?   

also couldn’t a coach like musselman who coached with smart or beard who is best friends with Pat Knight help bridge the gap with former players somehow?

Again we have no idea if any of this stuff is even remotely what Scott Dolson is thinking.  He said in the press conference that after today you won't here from him until they hire someone.  I guess as a fan base that we want to hear something about the search that we will cling to every little rumor out there and jump to conclusions.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Completely disagree, but hey we can all have our opinions. 

I also think the reaction to a potential Woodson hire has nothing to do with what happened with Stevens. The reaction to a potential Woodson hire is because it would be a completely lazy, uninspiring hire. It would mean that Dolson never even tried for a real, established college coach. It would most likely mean that the donors money was tied to either Stevens or an IU guy only. 

In the case I would think Keith Smart would be a much better choice. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I guess. I'm just not an "IU guy" person. If there was a qualified "IU guy" currently excelling at the high major level in a big way, then I'd be all for it. 

Absolutely agree. If there was an IU guy excelling I would be for it too but there isn't. Out of all IU guys if I had a gun to my head and was told to pick the next IU coach that was an IU guy they would waste a bullet cause there are none that fit. Keith Smart though is the closest even though I personally would be a Beard fan. 

1 minute ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Absolutely agree. If there was an IU guy excelling I would be for it too but there isn't. Out of all IU guys if I had a gun to my head and was told to pick the next IU coach that was an IU guy they would waste a bullet cause there are none that fit. Keith Smart though is the closest even though I personally would be a Beard fan. 

Beard should be the guy. We should be giving him a close to Stevens type offer. Hopefully they do.

I don't really believe these rumors tonight, but if they are true it means IU didn't even try for an established Power 5 coach. 

• Like 8

1.  WTF is Dolson doing?

2.  Why did Brad Stevens have to do IU fans dirty like that in his press conference.  There are many ways to say he was offered the job but declined based on him wanting to finish what he has  started in Boston.  Instead he turned around, lit the bridge on fire and flipped us off while walking backwards away.

3.  Who is there honestly to be excited about for the next coach after getting suckered into thinking it was Stevens for 2 days?  Who so raises the bar that i can go HOLY SMOKES IU is going to be a force for the next X years.

I honestly thought when Dolson let CAM go that they had it locked up.  Had the hire and was just waiting for the ink to dry.

I have a bad feeling now its going to be a very underwhelming hire.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

1.  WTF is Dolson doing?

2.  Why did Brad Stevens have to do IU fans dirty like that in his press conference.  There are many ways to say he was offered the job but declined based on him wanting to finish what he has  started in Boston.  Instead he turned around, lit the bridge on fire and flipped us off while walking backwards away.

3.  Who is there honestly to be excited about for the next coach after getting suckered into thinking it was Stevens for 2 days?  Who so raises the bar that i can go HOLY SMOKES IU is going to be a force for the next X years.

I honestly thought when Dolson let CAM go that they had it locked up.  Had the hire and was just waiting for the ink to dry.

It's going to be a hire where we have to say, "let's give him a chance" and we will probably have to wait 4 years before we show a pulse. 

I am not expecting to have my socks blown off by the hire.  But hopefully they luck out like they did with Allen and we stumble into some luck.  This is kind of it for me, if this guy does not get it done, I am kind of over this sh*t.  I will find something better to do with my time.  IU has wasted 20 years, I don't plan on wasting another 20 on a program that doesn't know their ass from a basketball.

I can't get my kids to watch the games with me because we have been a boring team that loses for the majority of their lives.  I have the feeling that we are going to pick another dude that has the fans pissed off by year 2 and then we are doing this whole "IU fans are toxic" crap again.  That's how low my expectation is at this point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

1.  WTF is Dolson doing?

Who suckered us into thinking Stevens was coming other than... ourselves? Sure, there were a couple legit media folks (Rabjohns/etc) who were saying it might be a possibility, but if you bought the hype (and I’ll admit I did) you were buying mostly social media rumors. That’s not IU’s fault that we are suckers who will believe anything we want to believe. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I completely understand if you don't want to say much. But the only name I can think of that has been mentioned is Chris Mack. Not sure that's lateral, but there was that rumor he'd be interested. 

So help me if it's Alford...

well, if 0708 said he "thinks" they've been mentioned, i don't think he is hearing Alford.  Woodson is now scaring the crap out of me.  Moser?  trying to think who has lightly been mentioned.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I guess. I'm just not an "IU guy" person. If there was a qualified "IU guy" currently excelling at the high major level in a big way, then I'd be all for it. 

i would pick any other candidate over just an IU guy.  if it had to go that way, i'd want Fife and pray for the best.  i would be nervous as can be though.  that said, whoever it is, i will hold out hope and get excited for next year.  you never know until it happens.  please let it be Beard or Musselman.  please.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

1.  WTF is Dolson doing?

Not giving up hope yet.  Dolson knows this hire will define his legacy.  It absolutely has to be someone at least on Beards level.  He's not hiring Woodson.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Oh I agree, this IU guy shick is what Dakich has been screaming all week, I’m gonna disagree on pure principle if he’s screaming for it. 

That being said, if folks really want an IU guy I’d go for Calbert with a Fife or Lewis as an assistant. 

What I don’t get, is people keep saying  “IU guy”, why not say a Knight guy, cause that’s what y’all mean. I grew up during Knights best years, born in 74 , graduated in 93- so I vividly remember some our best years under the General. My point was if you really want an IU-Knight guy I couldn’t think of a better coach then Beard- he is a Coach Knight guy. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

1.  WTF is Dolson doing?

Dolson is doing his Job! He let Arch go because he was not getting the job done period. He went after the best and the best said no. So now we go after the next best. I didn't see anywhere where Dolson said it was Stevens. Board chatter only.  I think there are many coaches out there that can do very well here. A new Coach and a new president and a new direction. Sky is the limit for IU.

• Like 2

I can’t decide if I want Texas Tech to lose today so we can hurry up and see if Beard will be our coach, ha. If we arent getting Stevens then Beard is definitely my preference. I would think he’d be on Dolson’s radar for sure, and it seems right knowing he was in Bloomington with Bobby and Pat in town. 

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Beard should be the guy. We should be giving him a close to Stevens type offer. Hopefully they do.

I don't really believe these rumors tonight, but if they are true it means IU didn't even try for an established Power 5 coach. 

BTB has some talk that Peegs is hearing this is likely Dolson throwing a bone to the "IU guy" crowd.  Woodson is/was available for interview while other targets are still coaching.  Some also referencing Dolson doing his due diligence.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Who suckered us into thinking Stevens was coming other than... ourselves? Sure, there were a couple legit media folks (Rabjohns/etc) who were saying it might be a possibility, but if you bought the hype (and I’ll admit I did) you were buying mostly social media rumors. That’s not IU’s fault that we are suckers who will believe anything we want to believe. 

I haven’t posted since our heart was ripped out of our chest, thrown on the ground and the then ran over by a steam roller. I was really trying to take everything with a grain of salt, but i was getting swept up by the rumors too.

I’m kind of embarrassed, but even at the peak of the storm I was still laughing (nervously) at all the posters bragging about how message boards were scooping national and local writers. Goodman has the right to troll our fan base right now because we trolled him for a few days. If you can’t take it then don’t dish it. 

True,it’s not IU’s fault that we’re suckers. It’s natural human behavior to believe what we want to be true. That said, I’m not sure why IU didn’t try to squash rumors and temper expectations because some are now expressing disappointment about guys who are a clear upgrade for IU (i.e. Beilein, Drew, Beard, etc.) simply because they aren’t Stevens. We would've been doing cartwheels for coaches of this caliber to be in the discussion less than a week ago. 

Who knows, maybe IU wanted to leak that they were hitting on the prettiest girl in the room so all the other girls in tier 2 would take notice that we are shooting big and opening up our wallet. 

I hope we’ll get a good behind the scenes report into the events that transpired when this is all over. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

I just had that same thought watching the game.

If IU was to get Beard, I wonder how he would be received by the "has to be an IU guy"/Alford crowd? Not as much the fans, but more guys like Dakich and the old players crowd. Obviously Archie didn't work out, but Dakich basically trashed him from the moment he arrived. 

Would the Bob/Pat Knight connection gain Beard cover from that crowd?

If the AD is worried about what Dakich, et al thinks, we have bigger problems than just hiring the next coach 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would be 100% super excited about Beard. He's a home run hire. 

But it won’t be. I know it. You probably know it but can’t bring yourself to believe it. It’s going to be underwhelming. It’s going to be an over paid mid tier coach who we’re going to replace in 4 more years. If it was Belien or Matta it would already be done and announced. 

i just don’t have faith. And yes it was board chatter about Steven’s and it was my own fault for getting my hopes up again

49 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

But it won’t be. I know it. You probably know it but can’t bring yourself to believe it. It’s going to be underwhelming. It’s going to be an over paid mid tier coach who we’re going to replace in 4 more years. If it was Belien or Matta it would already be done and announced. 

i just don’t have faith. And yes it was board chatter about Steven’s and it was my own fault for getting my hopes up again

Are you saying Beard would be underwhelming or that we're not getting Beard?

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think he’s saying it won’t be Beard. 

Thought so, but wanted to make sure. 

I have no idea if Beard would even listen to leaving Texas. You'd have to hope the Bob/Pat Knight pull would at least get him to listen. 

He would be a home run though if Dolson could pull it off. But yeah, it's a toss up at best probably. 

• Like 2