It's time...HIRE CHRIS BEARD

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Find it odd that Beard hasn’t gain any traction lately, maybe he likes being in Texas? Or UT just dropped the money bag on him.

unfortunately, this scares me a little.  i would think that if they are working on a deal, TT has been out long enough now that it would seem like it would be getting traction.  my hope/theory is that Dolson has him high on his list, but not clear #1, so he interviewed, but waiting to talk with Musselman too?  man, i hope that's it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

unfortunately, this scares me a little.  i would think that if they are working on a deal, TT has been out long enough now that it would seem like it would be getting traction.  my hope/theory is that Dolson has him high on his list, but not clear #1, so he interviewed, but waiting to talk with Musselman too?  man, i hope that's it!

If we are talking to Beard, I’d be elated.  If there’s a negotiation, of course, we need a massive deterrent to Texas poaching him.  Lot of ifs because we have no idea, which is hopefully for the best anyway.  

I think Beard may be the best option to turn things around. A bulldog and someone not willing to wait for things to work out. Someone the fans would embrace and possibly put on a a very high pedestal. It would be up to IU then to make this happen and throw whatever money is needed at him. My concern is the administration may not want another fiery coach in the Bob Knight mold that could overshadow the entire university. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I don’t get the love fest for Beard! 

took TT to the tourney 3 of the 4 years he's been head coach in a pretty solid conference.  made the title game, Elite 8, and 2nd round in those years.  coached with Knight.  hard nosed guy who makes his team play D.  has some personality.  only 48, so not old, but not young and inexperienced.  

• Like 3

took TT to the tourney 3 of the 4 years he's been head coach in a pretty solid conference.  made the title game, Elite 8, and 2nd round in those years.  coached with Knight.  hard nosed guy who makes his team play D.  has some personality.  only 48, so not old, but not young and inexperienced.  

And, just to add on, by the way he acted when given the opportunity to play in SSAH, he gets the history of what it means to be part of IU basketball.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I know those things I still think there are much better options and if he wasn’t connected to Knight he probably wouldn’t be in the conversation. Not much different than Archie on style of ball

I’m sure Pat Knight is recruiting him too.   Plus - the Knight ties would satisfy a lot of the “IU guy” crowd.  Hire Lewis (they previously coached together) and a lot of people are happy.   

If he’s up to moving out of Texas, I think he’s more likely than Musselman. He gave Tech a good run and may has topped out there. People say Lubbock is sort of dumpy, so maybe recruiting can only go so far down there.   Plus they love football (which is Drew’s complaint at Baylor). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I know those things I still think there are much better options and if he wasn’t connected to Knight he probably wouldn’t be in the conversation. Not much different than Archie on style of ball

i mean, okay, but who is realistic and realistic hope they might come that checks ore boxes?  

2 minutes ago, Cutter said:

He can recruit nationally and has a much bigger personality than Archie. That would help him a ton here.   

Fair concern about his offense ... but he’s certainly my pick over any IU guy that’s being mentioned.    And even a guy like Oats too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean, okay, but who is realistic and realistic hope they might come that checks ore boxes?  

I just have my opinions but I am not sure what boxes people think need to be checked and I only know what Dolson said in his press conference. I still think there are 5 or 6 candidates still coaching in the tournament. I am sure Dolson is not in as much hurry as most fans 

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

I just have my opinions but I am not sure what boxes people think need to be checked and I only know what Dolson said in his press conference. I still think there are 5 or 6 candidates still coaching in the tournament. I am sure Dolson is not in as much hurry as most fans 

Which 5-6?  Do you like Oats and Drew and Altman?    

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Yes definitely and Musselman, Enfield. Add on Beilein and others people don’t like because of past mistakes and I think they are all better than Beard

Edited by Cutter

3 minutes ago, Cutter said:

fair enough.  i'd be happy with Beard though.  not only am i getting scared we'll hire an underqualified IU guy, but i think he's debatably the best coach that is realistic.  

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

i have no info., but i you were stretching for 5-6 guys still coaching that we might be trying to talk to...Oats, Musselman, Drew, Altman, Moser, Enfield?   all just my opinion, but i would not want Moser or Enfield before Beard.  the others, we can all debate.  don't think we're going after Drew.  don't think Oats buyout makes it likely.  not sure what to think about Altman.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

fair enough.  i'd be happy with Beard though.  not only am i getting scared we'll hire an underqualified IU guy, but i think he's debatably the best coach that is realistic.  

Beard would be a huge upgrade over Miller. I just prefer others doesn’t mean I am right

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have no info., but i you were stretching for 5-6 guys still coaching that we might be trying to talk to...Oats, Musselman, Drew, Altman, Moser, Enfield?   all just my opinion, but i would not want Moser or Enfield before Beard.  the others, we can all debate.  don't think we're going after Drew.  don't think Oats buyout makes it likely.  not sure what to think about Altman.   

Hopefully Scott comes through.  I suspect he may open his press conference for the hire (whenever that may be) with a few of the following points: (A) we had incredible interest in the job and our department fielded dozens of inquiries from candidates with interest from both college and the NBA.  (B) this was obviously an important hire and so we vetted and interviewed many candidates. (C) as I said in my initial press conference, you would not be hearing from me until now.  I hope you can respect we will not be discussing every rumor and every candidate we considered.  (D) Thank you for your patience.  We know there is incredible interest in this hire and our process.  (E) in the end, we have confirmed and reinforced the notion that IU basketball still has a high stature based on the incredible interest we had in the job.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

Texas Tech AD's response to Beard leaving for Texas. Not a happy guy:

"Talked to him about 10:30 last night, made a final decision today. Something I could tell had been weighing on him [Wednesday night] and settled this morning," Hocutt said. "Frustrating? Absolutely. Disappointing? Absolutely.

"You know, you work along[side] somebody for five years and you invest into this program and you grow this program. And of course his leadership had a great deal to do with that. But you know, at the same time, there are other components that have led to the success of Texas Tech basketball."

Hocutt said Beard told him "he was ready for another challenge. I don't fully understand it. It obviously wasn't for better fan support or better facilities. He told me it was not for financial reasons." He added that Texas Tech was prepared to give Beard a "lifetime rolling contract."

"And you have somebody that then walks away to go to an in-conference school, an in-state school," he said. "Absolutely, that frustrates you. Heck yeah it does."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1